DVDVR Message Board

Getting into comics

Liam

Posting on my phone, so will be short and sweet for the time being.

I've always fancied getting into comics, but the comic universe always seems pretty daunting, with the history, reboots and different universes.

As a complete novice, where is the 'best place' to start?

Right here. Arguably the greatest comic writer ever (and comic fans will argue with such passion over such infinitesimal minutiae that they make obsessive heavy-metal fans look like dilettantes) writing a wide array of different well-known and not-so-well-known DC characters, including some of the medium's most beloved classics. The collection skips and dips among various different titles in various different tones, making it a nice primer for anyone who's not terribly familiar with this stuff; and some of them include events whose repercussions are STILL being felt in various ways. EDIT: There's a new reprint of this book that DC recently put out, but the print quality is shitty and DC actually took Batman: The Killing Joke out of the collection, for reasons that will remain forever unfathomable to us all.

Probably at the request of Bolland, who hates the coloring in the original version and redid it all himself for the definitive edition. Or else they just realized it was dumb to have TKJ in a $25 omnibus while they were selling it by itself for $20.

my recommendation is to pick a few characters you're interested in (for example, Batman) and then read some solo stories (ex. Year One) and some group stories with them as the main focus (ex. Tower of Babel).  Find out what kind of stuff you enjoy reading, and go from there.

P.S. Anything with Alan Moore is also highly recommended.

Right here. Arguably the greatest comic writer ever (and comic fans will argue with such passion over such infinitesimal minutiae that they make obsessive heavy-metal fans look like dilettantes) writing a wide array of different well-known and not-so-well-known DC characters, including some of the medium's most beloved classics. The collection skips and dips among various different titles in various different tones, making it a nice primer for anyone who's not terribly familiar with this stuff; and some of them include events whose repercussions are STILL being felt in various ways. EDIT: There's a new reprint of this book that DC recently put out, but the print quality is shitty and DC actually took Batman: The Killing Joke out of the collection, for reasons that will remain forever unfathomable to us all.

Excellent, will have a look at that when I get the chance.

my recommendation is to pick a few characters you're interested in (for example, Batman) and then read some solo stories (ex. Year One) and some group stories with them as the main focus (ex. Tower of Babel).  Find out what kind of stuff you enjoy reading, and go from there.

P.S. Anything with Alan Moore is also highly recommended.

I like this as an idea. To be fair, most of my interests stem from those who have had bigger interest in popular media (like Batman), so would probably make most sense to start.

I did pick up Civil War ages ago, but have never got around to reading it. Probably should be my first stop, especially whilst I'm on holiday (teacher, so another four weeks to go >_>)

This is also a perfect time to get into comics based on how both DC and Marvel have reset over the last year or two.  If I was you I would take twiztor's advice and pick a couple characters you want to follow and get the last couple trade paperbacks.  As daunting as geting into comics can seem, reading the last couple storylines will catch you up surprisingly fast.

Marvel's reset wasn't really a reboot per se, but after Avengers vs. X-Men they introduced a lot of new titles that provide a good jumping off point for new readers to start.  Being that just about everyone in the Marvel universe is either an Avenger or an X-man, almost everyone is doing something new. 

What do you like to read? There's so much more to comics than capes these days

A mixture really. Have also been looking at The Walking Dead graphic novels as well. Maybe Battle Royale if that is worth a look.

If you're a fan of one of the TV shows or movies that have been continued in the comic book format, I'd consider starting there.  Buffy, Star Wars, stuff like that.

Or are you looking for the best book to ease your way into the larger shared universes of DC and/or Marvel?

Alternatively, go to your local library. Mine has a few shelves of graphic novels you can check out. Better to not spend money while you're still trying to figure out what you like.

Alternatively, go to your local library. Mine has a few shelves of graphic novels you can check out. Better to not spend money while you're still trying to figure out what you like.

this is an excellent idea. i picked up a number of things from my local library: Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, Neil Gaiman's Eternals, Will Eisner's the Spirit, and some others that don't spring to mind.

If you're a fan of one of the TV shows or movies that have been continued in the comic book format, I'd consider starting there. Buffy, Star Wars, stuff like that.Or are you looking for the best book to ease your way into the larger shared universes of DC and/or Marvel?

Yeah, my initial desire had been to delve deeper into Marvel and DC'esque selections.As for the library idea, its excellent in theory, but my library has no or very few graphic novels.

For DC, I'd be tempted to recommend The Movement or The Green Team-Teen Trillionaires.  They are relatively new books not steeped in continuity, featuring characters who will probably leak out into the DC universe at a controlled rate, so you can follow them.  Some of the solo books such as Wonder Woman are also not that dependent on the shared universe.

For Marvel, I might suggest Hawkeye, which is a self-contained book featuring an important Marvel character who appears elsewhere.

These aren't necessarily the best books (although people seem to really love Hawkeye), but they are books that won't have you running to the internet to look up characters.

The book DC wants to have serve as the jumping in point right now is the Geoff Johns Justice League book, fwiw.

It hasn't been, imo, particularly good, but it also hasn't been all that bad either.  Just kind of, you know, there.  But the first couple arcs have Jim Lee art, which is something that a lot of people are really, really into.

I third the love of Atomic Robo. Just really fun comics with probably the most lovable protagonist in comics. If you can track down the collections of Leave It To Chance then buy them because they might just be the best adventure comics I've ever read.

If you want something a bit denser then read Akira. Still the best finite comic series I've ever read.

James

I third the love of Atomic Robo. Just really fun comics with probably the most lovable protagonist in comics. If you can track down the collections of Leave It To Chance then buy them because they might just be the best adventure comics I've ever read.

If you want something a bit denser then read Akira. Still the best finite comic series I've ever read.

James

Is Akira the one that is linked to (or is?) the film?