DVDVR Message Board

Getting into comics

Liam

• 5 months later...

Finally managed to get more into comics, having picked up The Killing Joke, and reading Joss Whedon's run on The Astonishing X-Men.

Have a few things lined up, including Brubaker's run of Captain America which I've been recommended.

• 2 weeks later...

And if y'all wanna read the most fucked-up thing in the world, try Garth Ennis's series Crossed.  Ennis writes about half of it, with various other authors doing their own guest runs.  It's basically a Rage Zombie Apocalypse turned up to eleven thousand, with all the most unbelievably nasty shit happening all the time everywhere.  (Let's just say at one point our heroes have a long argument over whether they SHOULD have massacred a bunch of non-zombified, very young children... whom they have just totally massacred.  On purpose.)  

And if you're saying "of course, it's Garth fucking Ennis, what did you expect?" then no, you don't understand!  I'm quite an Ennis fan.  I've read the majority of his work.  And he has never, ever, ever written anything so unprecedentedly harsh and raw as this.  Not in Hellblazer, not in Preacher, not in Punisher, not even in The Boys, not even in The Pro, not even in that one story he wrote for a Simpsons' Treehouse of Horror comic.  It's SICK, and I am an easy mark for something which is simply unfathomably disturbing.  

And if y'all wanna read the most fucked-up thing in the world, try Garth Ennis's series Crossed.  Ennis writes about half of it, with various other authors doing their own guest runs.  It's basically a Rage Zombie Apocalypse turned up to eleven thousand, with all the most unbelievably nasty shit happening all the time everywhere.  (Let's just say at one point our heroes have a long argument over whether they SHOULD have massacred a bunch of non-zombified, very young children... whom they have just totally massacred.  On purpose.)  

And if you're saying "of course, it's Garth fucking Ennis, what did you expect?" then no, you don't understand!  I'm quite an Ennis fan.  I've read the majority of his work.  And he has never, ever, ever written anything so unprecedentedly harsh and raw as this.  Not in Hellblazer, not in Preacher, not in Punisher, not even in The Boys, not even in The Pro, not even in that one story he wrote for a Simpsons' Treehouse of Horror comic.  It's SICK, and I am an easy mark for something which is simply unfathomably disturbing.  

This sounds like as much fun as reading Russell Gray or Peter Watts. I am so there.