DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

I'm planning on dipping my toes in on the ones that interest me the most (mainly the ones written by Nicieza which is a happy coincidence), and a few others like the Speed Force one and the JLI one, and then I'll just go back to not reading DC at all. 

So Didio hinted at where Convegence is headed and it's sounding remarkably like pre-52 is coming back just to "make the ultimate sacrifice so the nu-52 may live on."

Fuck that guy....seriously...

this doesn't really surprise me. they kept it around in case New52 was a colossal flop. since it has proven to be popular enough (in most cases, sales are up from pre-52), they decided to stop all the speculation and eliminate Plan B.  not that i agree with it, but i an see why they're doing it.

Confirming my opinion to cut ties with the DCU when nu52 started.

I did the same thing after I realized how far reaching the changes were. I'm done with DC and have been for sometime. This only confirms it.

I was pretty much down to one DCU title(Batgirl) before the Nu52, so they really had done a lot of damage already for someone as a kid bugged his parents to drive him around so he could find as many of the zero issues as he could. My main problem with the Nu52 was simply that they rebooted and then did nothing interesting with it.

Now I'm finding them doing some interesting things even if they're mostly on the fringe of the mainstream. Which I imagine is how a lot of the board readers of Marvel found themselves pulled back into Marvel.

Its actually 16 or 17. I'm surprised at a few of the titles being cancelled though this doesn't really affect me much since nothing I'm collecting currently is gone. Batwoman's cancellation actually pleases me just a pinch, mostly because it means it might get a relaunch with a new team. I couldn't continue when Williams & Blackman left, and everything post them just did not sound good at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Future's End Vol. 1. This collects issues #0-17. As a big story/event connected to the New 52 this kind of fails. Histories like Slade and Grifter's on Team 7 are completely ignored, and its feels a bit too disconnected with the five ear gap. As stand alone story its actually pretty solid. The various characters it follows are interesting enough and  it sets up some nice relationships and mysteries while building up the coming invasion Terry was sent back to stop. Actually he biggest negative probably is the Batman Beyond side of things. The actual story there is pretty decent, it just seemingly takes a back seat to a lot of the other ongoing plots. A bit disappointing since its one of the things they were pushing when talking it up. Overall the writing is solid and a lot better put together than World's End & Batman Eternal if I'm being honest. The art also feels more consistent than the latter.

Speaking of the other two weeklies, World's End is easily the worst of the bunch. Its a rushed messed with some annoying plot twists and directions. Honestly I really hope they don't plan to bring any of it over to the New 52 Earth Prime as the current writing crew have done a fine job of fucking up and pissing away with most of Robinson and Taylor built up. I can see now why Taylor was likely dropped from the weekly. Earth 2 really needs be rebooted be that turning into the original JLA Earth or just doign a better job with what Robinson had been originally building. Batman Eternal remains a solid read though the art and writing isn't as cohesive as Future's End which somewhat surprises me. The last half a dozen or so issues have felt a bit slow though still enjoyable. Hopefully things will step up in the coming months. Things may have gotten worse in the 17+ issues of Future's End that have happened since Volume 1, but so far it actually is probably the best of the DC weeklies.

Speaking of the other two weeklies, World's End is easily the worst of the bunch. Its a rushed messed with some annoying plot twists and directions. Honestly I really hope they don't plan to bring any of it over to the New 52 Earth Prime as the current writing crew have done a fine job of fucking up and pissing away with most of Robinson and Taylor built up.

Er...that's actually the whole point of Futures End.  It's 5 years in the future after most of the inhabitants of Earth 2 were brought over to Earth 1.

Speaking of the other two weeklies, World's End is easily the worst of the bunch. Its a rushed messed with some annoying plot twists and directions. Honestly I really hope they don't plan to bring any of it over to the New 52 Earth Prime as the current writing crew have done a fine job of fucking up and pissing away with most of Robinson and Taylor built up.

Er...that's actually the whole point of Futures End.  It's 5 years in the future after most of the inhabitants of Earth 2 were brought over to Earth 1.

I realize that. It doesn't mean it has to stick. Considering Convergence and how both weeklies are ending at the same time, it really might not.

Futures End is the only one out of the three weeklies that I'm not reading. I had a really long discussion Robinson about Earth 2 back at NYCC this year. He had some very interesting ideas as far as where he wanted to go with Batman. I'm not disliking it as much as you, though it has felt rather disjointed at times. 

I also cosign that sometimes the art on Eternal has been downright awful. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

so i just read the entirety of "No Man's Land" and i gotta say, overall i liked it. it is such a good concept. impossible, but good. after the first third, i felt it started to drag, but by the time i got to the final third, i was fully invested again. 

what i liked:

the opening salvo with Azrael chasing Nick Scratch

the gang elements with the super villains' "zones" and with the tagging was a really cool idea
Huntress as Batgirl worked surprisingly well

what happened to Jim Gordon's wife was a gut punch. i had no idea that was about to happen

what i didn't:

no punishment/payoff to the Nicholas Scratch storyline

no buildup to Cassandra Cain's debut. her father and her both debut in the same issue, and she's the new batgirl extremely shortly after. didn't feel organic

I thought I recall some payoff to the Scratch storyline, just not anything worthwhile.

i looked it up after you posted this. apparently the storyline continues in the Azrael series, it's just not branded as "No Man's Land", thus i haven't gotten that far. guess i'll have to check that out next.

I agree about Cassandra. i liked her there definitely could have been better building to her story.

i've got nothing against the character, in face i'm interested in learning more. but she (and her father) just seemed to pop out of nowhere with no backstory and everybody had to just accept it immediately. just a really weird way to introduce a new legacy character. 

On Eternal's big bad, after this past Wednesday's issue I'm thinking it's one of the following three:

Owlman of Earth 3

Lincoln March

Dr. Hurt

As far as in Batman, I'm just hoping that the Joker is not "Pennywise" and that they don't make it public knowledge that Bruce Wayne is Batman a al Tony Stark is Iron Man.