DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

Anyone reading Justice League Dark?  How has it been since DeMatteis took over writing chores?  I just caught up on Phantom Stranger and am digging it.  DeMatteis might be my favorite comic book writer ever, but I'm a much bigger fan of his pre-Justice League work than post.  When he tries to be funny, it generally falls flat for me.  I love the JM who wrote Defenders, Moonshadow, the Dr. Fate mini, etc. 

Also, does anyone else like Earth-2 more since Robinson left.  A lot of people seem to think Earth-2 was a return to form for JDR, but I was kinda underwhelmed.  It's been a really fun book of late (I do really like Robinson's FF book, fwiw).

I only read the Forever Evil issues by DeMatteis, but he seemed solid enough.

I stopped reading it when JDR left, honestly. 

Yeah, I think a lot of people did. I wasn't familiar with Tom Taylor, so I ignored the book for several months, then did a lot of catchup at once. It's one of my favorite books lately, with both the art and writing clicking for me.  I'm really digging the focus on Earth-2 versions of Supes/Bats/Red Tornado/etc.  Taylor has managed to do a fresh take on both well-known Justice League characters and the JSA concept in general.  I like Alan Scott, Jay Garrick, etc., but after Johns, it's really hard to do much fresh with those characters or the group.

I somewhat disagree on Earth-2. I think Robinson was doing a pretty good job. His biggest problem was having so much to do with so little time. I think Taylor has done a good job in his stead, but at the same time I think Taylor backtracked bringing back some form of Batman and Superman. Don't get me wrong I think he put an interesting spin on both like he did with Red Tornado, but I think Earth-2 would have been stronger w/o them. For most part its only taken away even more time from the other characters who needed building. Its clear with this though and World's End coming in October DC has no plans to reform the Justice Society and likely will kill the Earth-2 line.

I've been really enjoy Earth 2 as well, I think the art work is gorgeous and that it has been well plotted as well. I agree that the reintroduction of Batman & Superman have been at the detriment of the other characters, however I find the Superman angle extremely intriguing. 

dc just announced they are releasing the 1960s Jiro Kuwata helmed Batmanga as a digital-first series. i own the paperback copy of the Chip Kidd book detailing these and loved it. highly recommended and i can't wait!

So Jeff Lemire is leaving Green Arrow come October and they are starting a new Deathstroke book written by Tony Daniel in the same month. I'm really disappointed that Lemire is leaving GA, but I'm stoked at the prospect of Daniel writing a Deathstroke book. 

I'm jumping off when Azzarello's run is done. Its not even the Finches who bother me as I have never read anything they wrote. Its more expectation that DC will likely do away with what Azzarello has built so WW jives more with the rest of New 52.

• Like 1

I've been conflicted on Azz's run since basically the beginning.  (With the caveat that I think #22 was the last issue I read.)

It's incredibly well written and developed, but

Dianna as a daughter of Zeus is bad idea.  The Amazons going out to seduce, fuck, and murder men in order to have children, and then selling their sons into slavery is a fucking terrible idea that fundamentally breaks the background of the character and has no business ever being published in an "in-continuity" DC Wonder Woman book.

But damn does he do those bad ideas well.  And Chiang's art is gorgeous.

But it should have been a creator owned book that was a thinly-veiled riff on Dianna, not the actual WW book.

I've been conflicted on Azz's run since basically the beginning.  (With the caveat that I think #22 was the last issue I read.)

It's incredibly well written and developed, but

Dianna as a daughter of Zeus is bad idea.  The Amazons going out to seduce, fuck, and murder men in order to have children, and then selling their sons into slavery is a fucking terrible idea that fundamentally breaks the background of the character and has no business ever being published in an "in-continuity" DC Wonder Woman book.

But damn does he do those bad ideas well.  And Chiang's art is gorgeous.

But it should have been a creator owned book that was a thinly-veiled riff on Dianna, not the actual WW book.

I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other on Diana being the daughter of Zeus. The stuff with the Amazons is based more on mythology to an extent so I'm actually fine with it. Diana's background honestly never did much for me so I didn't mind the changes.

http://comicsalliance.com/gilbert-hernandez-sensation-comics-featuring-wonder-woman-dc-digital-first/

In better DC news, Gilbert Hernandez is kicking off the digital Sensation Comics. 

(Also, I am keeping my expectations as low as I can for Gotham Academy and for the new Batgirl direction, but these are the kinds of things I desperately want DC to be doing, and to do well.)