DVDVR Message Board

A DRAGON AGE THREAD

RIPPA

The problem is that I haven't started playing SR4.

I finished SR3; I just haven't gotten around to messing with the DLC.

I do not want to start this game only to be angry and sad because I have nine thousand saves built over five characters. I know that there has to be an achievement for enduring all of the origin stories.   That is how it fucking starts.

You guys are going to actually make me finish playing DA:O, aren't you?

I deleted my DA:O save (I wasn't too far into it) before I picked up the current copy I own. I'll just play it at a later time.

My goal this year is to not really buy any games but to actually clean up my backlog. The games I buy will be ones that I can pick up and put down leisurely like MKX.

I'm bad at managing my inventory. After selling valuables and unwanted gear/weapons, I'm still usually at 60/90 or 70/90 capacity. And then I reach the max capacity pretty fast after that. I'd love to get it down to 50 or 40.

Killed my second dragon last night. The one in the Western Approach. I was actually nodding out when it was close to dying, and woke up right after it bit the dust. 

For a long while I couldn't figure why I was never having inventory space despite constantly selling stuff.

Then I realized I hadn't been going through my upgrades - and I would have like 6 shitty staff handles that I had no use for.

I also carry way too many rings

I haven't finished any of the mosaics yet. Haven't really made it a priority.

I haven't made finding shards a priority, either. . .though now that I'm clearing out the one area that apparently requires you to have a handful, I should probably get on that.

I was going to try to find missing Mosaic Pieces but upon learning that some of them are glitched an unobtainable... yeah... fuck that

Probably one of the most annoying things about this, as someone who used to write scripts for quality testing purposes... did NO-ONE who was testing try to do everything? Did NO-ONE who was writing the scripts for the testing have them trying to finish as many sets as possible?

I need some general tips and guidance on weapons and armour. It is always an area of these types of games that I struggle.

I've just got to Skyhold - are there any particular things I should be doing to bolster my current armaments? I always have a little bit of a worry that I'm not progressing as quickly as I should do when it comes to the equipment side of a game like this.

Spent my day getting every damn shard and solving every damn astrarium puzzle in Thedas. Well, I think I got every shard, anyway. . .since I didn't pick up any shards before Haven got blowed up, I didn't officially get the "Shard Collector" quest, but I don't think there are any still left out there.

And a couple of the locations on those shards. . .holy fucking hell, Bioware, who thought that was a good idea?

Four dragons down, including Kaltenzahn, which I didn't know if I was ready to take down but, by God, he was not going to keep me from getting to that ocularum in Emprise du Lion. Would like to get enough to do a full set of dragon bone armor and a dragon bone weapon before I hit the end game.

I killed the 10th and final Dragon just now. It constantly called to its dragonlings for help (really annoying), but my Vivienne is so overpowered that it didn't matter. One or two more Inner Circle quests and then I'll focus on the 2 or 3 main quests I have left.

I need some general tips and guidance on weapons and armour. It is always an area of these types of games that I struggle.

I've just got to Skyhold - are there any particular things I should be doing to bolster my current armaments? I always have a little bit of a worry that I'm not progressing as quickly as I should do when it comes to the equipment side of a game like this.

You find gear semi often in the game. After a major quest, I usually usually check my equipment to see if I picked up anything new that is better than what I have equipped. I also craft and modify armor and weapons here and there. I wouldn't worry too much as long as you equip new stuff as you get them. If you pick up materials/plants a long the way, you'll have enough to modify certain things.

I killed the 10th and final Dragon just now. It constantly called to its dragonlings for help (really annoying), but my Vivienne is so overpowered that it didn't matter. One or two more Inner Circle quests and then I'll focus on the 2 or 3 main quests I have left.

You find gear semi often in the game. After a major quest, I usually usually check my equipment to see if I picked up anything new that is better than what I have equipped. I also craft and modify armor and weapons here and there. I wouldn't worry too much as long as you equip new stuff as you get them. If you pick up materials/plants a long the way, you'll have enough to modify certain things.

What are some of the most useful materials/plants for modifying gear?

Runes are key for weapons. You'll get them as you play.  

Honestly, I collected so many materials along the way that I had many options when crafting new stuff. You'll have many options of materials to choose from when making or upgrading gear. I wouldn't worry much about it. Really, don't stress it. It's not an issue in this game. 

Also, hunt the dragons. After killing all 10, I'm just using the gear/weapons they drop for all of my characters. 

EDIT: Finished the game at the 75th hour. Mass Effect, this was not, but I still really liked it.

I've closed every Fade Rift in Thedas (pre-Arbor Wilds, anyway). All I currently have left to do is find one more landmark in three different regions, find three more of the "Pages in the Waste" to finish that quest, and after that it's nothing but a bunch of requisition quests that I'll probably never actually do.

And four more Bottles of Thedas if I get the urge to look around for them.

How do you find exactly how many hours you've put into the game? I'm kind of curious at this point.

All ten dragons dead. All landmarks in every region found. What Pride Hath Wrought out of the way. Even found enough copies of "Hard in Hightown" around Skyhold to complete that quest.

Still three Bottles of Thedas out in the wild, and a couple of "find this spot at this location" quests before I finish this off. Sitting at right around 100 hours so far.

I don't think I've gone this "completist" on a game since the last time I played through the Mass Effect trilogy. . .and damn sure not on the first time through a game.

And this one is in the books, after about 105 hours of gameplay.

Gotta say. . .did not see the scene that came up after the credits coming.

So, can we just assume that Solas is the main villain for the next installment, or does the Dragon Age universe generally not work that way?

If I sound weird for asking that or asking it in that way, keep in mind that I didn't play the first two games (well, I played about half of Origins before my XBox 360 RRoD'd on me) and set up my universe via the Keep online.