DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

• 2 weeks later...

Went and watched the new Yugioh movie on it's last night in theaters and it was... pretty damn good. Even the goofy retcon regarding Shadi and Bakura wasn't all that bad. They even threw away the localization by showing the main characters actually eating Japanese lunches and acknowledging Anzu's desire to travel to the US to study dancing. The duels were for the most really damn good with Yugi being firmly established as a top-tier duelist without needing Atem's help. There's some cringey dub lines, but they don't really hurt the movie all that much. Was kinda shocked they actually showed people actually dying or the child abuse that happens in the main bad guy's past.

All in all, I enjoyed it a lot more than the Anniversary movie they put out a few years ago, though having a whole hour more to flesh stuff out probably helped immensely.

On 12/3/2016 at 11:26 PM, J.H. said:

Dear lord that Dr. Slump episode of DBS was fun! The only thing it was missing was Suppaman!

James

When I was watching this I thought it would be hilarious if they played the epic Beerus theme when Beerus destroyed the ghost, but decided that would never happen. So I about died laughing when it did. 

Also Universal Survival round one in only a few hours.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Haven't caught the latest episode yet, but that doesn't surprise me. From the beginning I got the feeling this was going to be one of the more depressing Gundams by the end, and so far its felt like it was building towards that since the stuff with the Turbines.

Finally caught that episode of IBO. Weirdly enough, that death actually gives me some bit of hope for the rest of the main Tekkadan crew. Also that was one of the more badass deaths I can recall in Gundam, especially outside of a mobile suit battle.

• 2 weeks later...

Attack on Titan Season 2 premiered today.  Going on Funimation, Crunchyroll,  AND HULU!!! (only because I'm amped that I don't have to resubscribe to another service)

Apparently, there dubbing in on Funimation within a day, which is really interesting.

So IBO is over.  Pretty much ended how I thought it was going to end.

Pretty cheap way how Mikazuki died, though.

Overall, I have mixed feelings of IBO.  If you take it as a sci-fi political drama anime, I'd say it was pretty good and worked well.  But as a Gundam series?  I'd have to say it was average at best.  The mobile suit battles were few and mostly short, and the majority of mobile suits were plain and rather boring, IMO.

Gundam is kind supposed to be sci-fi political drama. They just don't usually do it well. I liked IBO's ending. It was way more positive than I expected. I thought it was a great show overall, easily the best Gundam tv series in years.

After discovering Goblin Slayer, I've never wanted something to get an anime adaptation so much more than this manga/light novel series.  Why it would be awesome?  Goblin Slayer is like what would happen if real people tried to larp in real life and went in unprepared against against an actual horde of goblins in a dungeon.  Yeah, it would get pretty nasty.  The protagonist is also a breath of fresh air.  Very low key, but he's also borderline autistic and socially retarded because all he's been doing since childhood is learning how to hunt and better kill goblins.  In his world, goblins are the lowest form of monsters but he refuses to hunt anything else.  Sort of like how Megumin in Konosuba is obsessed with explosion magic.  Goblin Slayer is obsessed with goblins as his prey.  It's pretty dark, but it's also got quite a bit of dark humor as well.  These Goblins are very cruel and sadistic.  

The author is like some huge super fan of tabletop RPGs and you can tell that just from reading.  All the characters are basically named after their class or type.  There's a premise of the gods of this world basically playing games with each other and rolling the dice, but Goblin Slayer is the one they cannot influence he and he has no influence on them.  He doesn't allow anyone to roll his dice.  I like a hero who is problematic and isn't just going to use his power of goofy stupidity to somehow pull out a victory because he's too stupid to know he should lay down and die.  Instead he's a hero who will use the most practical and easiest way possible to win or get the job done.  

Finished Youjo Senki - Saga of Tanya The Evil, what a delightfully twisted little show!

World War I, Magic and a ruthless salaryman in a 10 year old girl's body... I pray there is going to be more of it!

James

• Like 2

Its odd. I found that to be the worst series I have seen from the Gundam franchise yet, but because I couldn't stop laughing at it never making any sense I don't really hate it. Still not sure how more is being made.

Enjoyed Grimoire of Zero episode 1, enough that I'll give 4 more episodes.

I watched both episode 0 and episode 1 of Kado - The Final Answer. Let's just say episode01 took a turn I wasn't expecting when it seemed a basic "Miraculous Salaryman " was being set-up... needlesst to say shit gets weird!

James

was looking at the XXXholic box sets on Amazon.  Based on running time, I'm assuming the sets are just the first 24 episodes (season 1).  Was the second season or the OVAs ever dubbed?  a bit of googling gives me the impression that only the first 24 eps were dubbed, but I can't tell for certain.

Akashic Records is a fun show.  Based on a light novel series (but still no anime for Goblin Slayer).  It's not great by any means, but it's a good watch and has some nice animation and an entertaining protagonist.  

Don't know a thing about rugby, but enjoying All Out! as a sports anime show.

My Hero Academia season 2 is off to a good start.  Though some of the design elements freak me out.  The characters beady eyes specifically freak me out sometimes.  But, it's a fun show.  Think Naruto but superheroes instead of ninjas.  It's so interesting to me how Japan treats the superhero world as a type of structured, segmented business.  It's more like they are commercial athletes or pop idols than superheroes.