DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: THE MONGOLIAN STOMPER (Archie Gouldie)

RIPPA

You have to love a promotion (Kansas City?) where the Mongolian Stomper is your lead babyface with promo time and

OX MOTHERFUCKING BAKER

is an aw-shucks fan in the crowd.

One of my first big mark-out moments as a kid was when Don Carson (I'm about 90 percent sure it was Carson and not Georgeous George Jr.) was managing Stomper in Southeastern and he screwed up doing the brick breaking on the head deal, and Stomper got mad and turned face. He was, in my mind, the most unlikely wrestler ever to become a good guy. Fans went nuts for him.

It fried my little brain years later when I found out the dude was from Calgary. HIs wiki says he lives about two hours from me. Crazy fact from his wiki: After his wrestling career came to an end, Gouldie served for several years as a deputy sheriff in Knox County, Tennessee, working as a correctional officer.

Can you imagine being taken into the pokey in Knoxville and there's the Stomper as one of the guards? 

He would constantly stand in the back with Carson doing his talking for him, constantly bending one of those bars with the two handles and the spring in the middle. I wanted one of those so bad when I was a kid - I knew it was my ticket away from weaklinghood.

The Stomper chapter in the Stampede book is a piece of beauty. Stomper actually gets in Stu's ring and tries to fight a heel. He gets thrown out, shows up later and does it again. Stu says, "ehhhh, hey kid, why dontcha come to my house and I'll train ya". Stu beats him black and blue and he keeps coming back for more. One day one of the Hart kids is in the Dungeon and Stomper says, "c'mere, let me show you what your old man done to me" and pops a testicle the size of a grapefruit out of his trunks. 

One of my first big mark-out moments as a kid was when Don Carson (I'm about 90 percent sure it was Carson and not Georgeous George Jr.) was managing Stomper in Southeastern and he screwed up doing the brick breaking on the head deal, and Stomper got mad and turned face. He was, in my mind, the most unlikely wrestler ever to become a good guy. Fans went nuts for him.

It fried my little brain years later when I found out the dude was from Calgary. HIs wiki says he lives about two hours from me. Crazy fact from his wiki: After his wrestling career came to an end, Gouldie served for several years as a deputy sheriff in Knox County, Tennessee, working as a correctional officer.

Can you imagine being taken into the pokey in Knoxville and there's the Stomper as one of the guards? 

He would constantly stand in the back with Carson doing his talking for him, constantly bending one of those bars with the two handles and the spring in the middle. I wanted one of those so bad when I was a kid - I knew it was my ticket away from weaklinghood.

During Stomper's last run with Smoky Mountain he apparently rode his BICYCLE to their shows.