DVDVR Message Board

RIP HR Giger

J.T.

Ah what a shame. The dude was a titan in the world of sci-fi/fantasy art.

The first CASSETTE demo I ever put out with my first band had a PHOTOCOPIED HR Giger image for the cover. (Caps to emphasize how fucking old I am.)

• Like 1

That's too bad. I recently saw him in the Jodorowsky's Dune documentary. He's a talking head for a good chunk of it, and a lot of his art and proposed pieces for the aborted Dune movie were shown. Amazing stuff. I wasn't too familiar with him before hand, but looked up a lot of his work after watching it.

I almost asked my parents to get a calendar featuring his works for X-mas as a kid... but I was too afraid of what I'd end up seeing every day on the wall. RIP

Currently listening to this right now in respect. And no I don't give a fuck if it's huge, deal with it.

tumblr_m7h96m5jmj1qelmubo1_1280.jpg

He was an absolutely unique person. A very strange one, but incredibly talented and special.

I like his work very much. It represented a kind of frightening darkness that very few artists have captured as well. It will be a lasting legacy for years to come.

• Like 1

I almost asked my parents to get a calendar featuring his works for X-mas as a kid... but I was too afraid of what I'd end up seeing every day on the wall. RIP

Ha. I got you beat.  I had a poster of "Birth Machine" hanging on my bedroom wall in MIDDLE SCHOOL, and my folks didn't even blink.

• Like 1

My parents wouldn't have blinked either (and this was at that age as well), but I was just a chickenshit.

EDIT: Just remembered that this is on my wall, as I used it for a flyer design. 

2dd8cac1b10390b9f90fedd7d37efe83.jpg

And here is a hilarious interview with him at his castle in Switzerland. Hope he's enjoying his fondue on LV-426 right now...

http://www.vice.com/read/hr-giger-works-weekends

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite HR story was that he was trying to sue Danzig over something, but his lawyers couldn't get to him to serve him. So the lawyers went to one of his concerts and tried to bodysurf on stage to serve him. Don't recall if they succeeded but it still made me laugh.