DVDVR Message Board

RAW spoilers, 29th July 2013.

The Natural

Does WWE just have duck-calls laying around backstage all the time???

I could totally see the Bella Twins finding out one of them had a match against Nattie that morning and slipping out to some dollar stores in Laredo to execute their hysterical plot.

A vignette of that would have been 10x better than the segment.

Does WWE just have duck-calls laying around backstage all the time???

I could totally see the Bella Twins finding out one of them had a match against Nattie that morning and slipping out to some dollar stores in Laredo to execute their hysterical plot.

It's been nearly 24 hours to process and I still don't understand what what the joke was.

She's the ugly duckling. You guys all fast-forwarded through the pre-match backstage bit, right?

Nope.  Nope.  That's not it.  Because that's a children's fable.  Not a reference-point for a 30-year-old adult woman...so...that would be, by an immeasurable margin, the dumbest and most embarrassing thing I've ever seen an adult do on television. 

It would also be pretty insulting and infantilizing toward women in general, and this is an international, publicly-traded media company run by grown ups.So stop trolling, brah.  Just explain the joke.  "Quack, quack, Natty!  Quack quack!" 

• Like 4

Between Vince with DB, Ryback with the food guy, The Bellas with Natty and to a lesser extent even Punk with Heyman and Sandow/Cody, last night felt like the ultimate "Fuck Be A Star, Bullying is back!" night for some reason. I don't even remember seeing any BAS commercials actually, did something happen?

Other than that, this was a pretty good show. It's the first time really since going to 3 hours that there hasn't really been anything that feels like pure filler. Everything has at least some rhyme or reason in terms of booking. And hey look, people are actually getting over! Strange coincidence huh?

Henry/Usos-Shield was perfectly fine.  I'd like to see it at Summerslam as a 6-Man Elimination match that ends with Henry in a 3 on 1 almost overcoming the odds but falling to Ambrose or Reigns.

Christian-ADR had a lot of clunky bits at the start.  There was a couple spots where Christian was running half-speed to miss Del Rio and it just looked awful.  It picked up as it went along, though.

Dolph-Big E. was a million times better than it had any right to be.  I really only want to watch Ziggler face big dudes who can throw him around from now on.

Rhodes-Barrett was okay.  Barrett looked good.  Crowd isn't sure why to cheer for Rhodes yet.  He's not funny, charismatic or all that showy/good in the ring.  I still think he should be feuding with the Wyatts.

Even Kane-Bryan was missing something.  It was rather heatless (I blame it on WWE rushing the story of the match, friend against friend) and by-the-numbers.  The post-match Wyatt beatdown was awesome.

That divas match was bad and the angle was even worse.  Just when I thought that backstage segment was going to be the worst thing ever (How can three wrestlers show that much bad acting in one short segment, it was like watching Jack Swagger, Sid Justice and Van Hammer try to perform a play!), we have Nikki blowing a duck call, going "Quack, quack, Nattie" and shaking her ass.  Oh how I long for the subtlety of a farting gimmick!  I can't wait until 'Total Divas' ends and we can go back to having 0:30-1:00 divas matches.  

I thought Ryback-Cena was pretty clearly the best match of the night.  By quite a bit.  Even the clunkiest bits (Ryback forcing the table to break against the post, the AA out of nowhere) weren't as bad as the clunky bits early on in Christian-ADR, Kane-Bryan or anything else.  Plus, it looked like two guys with a bit of hatred for each other, throwing some big bombs, trying to kill each other.  Everything else tonight kinda looked like an exhibition match.  

Top 3 performances

1. John Cena (Sold well, threw some big shots, mixed up his arsenal a little bit)

2. Ryback (Starting to actually carry himself like a monster heel, threw some bombs, looked threatening)

3. Wade Barrett (Everything he did looked particularly nasty and crisp and I'm not even a big Barrett fan!)

Bottom 3 performances

1. Brie Bella (Match was dull, her offence was dull and there were a couple points where it looked like she didn't know what she was supposed to do next)

2. Nattie (It's not like she did anything but look clunky with her control segments either)

3. Nikki Bella ("Quack quack Nattie!" is going to haunt me for some time)

I liked Ryback v. Cena a good bit, but the prop stuff was just too much at times.  I don't mind a violent brawl (obviously) and I don't mind using tables/stairs, but some of the set ups and arrangements in that match had the feel of Emily Post v. Martha Stewart, not man v. beast.  I"ll take the sloppy in parts, but good in psych Christian v. Del Rio every time

Surprised how seriously everyone is taking that McMahon backstage bit.  I thought it was just Vince making fun of himself and winking at the fans for his obsessions with big juiceheads, and Stephanie was making fun of herself over stuff like that ridiculous Austin/WMXXX rumor that was going around. 

That divas match was bad and the angle was even worse.  Just when I thought that backstage segment was going to be the worst thing ever (How can three wrestlers show that much bad acting in one short segment, it was like watching Jack Swagger, Sid Justice and Van Hammer try to perform a play!), we have Nikki blowing a duck call, going "Quack, quack, Nattie" and shaking her ass.  Oh how I long for the subtlety of a farting gimmick!  I can't wait until 'Total Divas' ends and we can go back to having 0:30-1:00 divas matches. 

While bored at work, I wondered if they had Nattie as a face with the farting gimmick that they totally missed the boat by not having her do the "PULL MY FINGER!" gimmick with a kid on the way to the ring and then have the ramp explode in flames.

• Like 1

Surprised how seriously everyone is taking that McMahon backstage bit.  I thought it was just Vince making fun of himself and winking at the fans for his obsessions with big juiceheads,

That is the thing, though.  Cena is the perfect Vince guy and they have played him up as the perfect Vince guy for years.  What is throwing most people off is the sudden anti-Cena stuff out of nowhere.

Surprised how seriously everyone is taking that McMahon backstage bit.  I thought it was just Vince making fun of himself and winking at the fans for his obsessions with big juiceheads,

That is the thing, though.  Cena is the perfect Vince guy and they have played him up as the perfect Vince guy for years.  What is throwing most people off is the sudden anti-Cena stuff out of nowhere.

I agree that it is a tad random, but they do have history going back to the Summer of Punk-ish angle and you could say that Cena was as responsible as Punk for the board of directors giving Vince the boot.

I'm actually a tad surprised that a reveal hasn't been made that Vince was behind Nexus, Brock Lesnar's return, the Shield, and depending on their direction, the Wyatts. It's one of those reveals that actually works despite how obvious it would be looking at it in hindsight. All he would need to say is that Cena lacks toothless ruthless aggression, he's too goody-goody, and he's disgusted by how Cena won't turn no matter how much the live crowd's despise him. He put the Nexus together, freed up the money so a company officer could agree to Paul Heyman's contract demands for Lesnar so Lesnar could stomp out Cena and HHH (negative feelings towards HHH because he is the guy taking the company from Vince), gave all-access to the Shield for each venue the WWE was at, and the Wyatts represent the darker, more sick and twisted side of Vince's mind. Vince, the person and the character, is so self-destructive that he could also say anyone else impacted by any of those groups or wrestlers is just collateral damage and is expendable. Since it's so easy to boo Vince, it would be a good way to at least dull how much Cena is boo'ed if Vince was behind attacks on Cena, Punk, Bryan, etc.

Battleground would be great too if it was capped off by a WarGames style match. Cena's Squadron: Cena, Bryan, Punk, and HHH vs The New Dangerous Alliance: Orton, Brock, and two of the Wyatts.

I'm actually a tad surprised that a reveal hasn't been made that Vince was behind Nexus, Brock Lesnar's return, the Shield, and depending on their direction, the Wyatts. It's one of those reveals that actually works despite how obvious it would be looking at it in hindsight.

How many of those have physically attacked Vince?

"Sadistic" means that you like inflicting pain.  I think you are looking for the term "masochistic".

I will never make this mistake again. However, I will now be way too keenly aware of others making the same mistake.

Vince was going to let his daughter be sacrificed to Ministry Undertaker and brought in the NWO to "inject the poison" or whatever into his company.  It's totally within character for him to do something absolutely insane and masochistic to get what he wants.