DVDVR Message Board

MAY WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

Vinny Mac lost $357 million today, with WWE stock plunging just about 50% because of the TV rights negotiations and staying on USA. Smackdown might go live, finally.

QUICK~! ANTACULAR! COME TALK ABOUT THIS!

WTF? Why? Why the fuck would you need to troll out Antacular on this?
Because this is exactly what I said would happen?

Step 1: Buy WWE stock

Step 2: Watch as outside investors who have no idea how the wrestling industry operates flood the company with money because of a few articles on a new tv deal/a Netflix like service.

Step 3: Watch those outside investors flee when they realize they bought WWE, not Netflix

Step 4: Accuse WWE of some kind of wrongdoing

Step 5: Profit

Um, no. First off, these guys shorted WWE stock at $30ish, and went long at $11, which means they bet on it to fall from $30 until now, thus they've made around 60% return in just a few months. This isn't a case of an angry investor who's lost money demanding changes, it's a case of an investor who see's a poorly run company (which it is), and the potential value should things change (which they won't, since McMahon's own the voting stock).

Second, it was WWE management (both Vince and the CFO) who were saying they expected to get "NASCAR-like money" for their new TV deal, which would put it around the $700-900M mark, more than quadrupling their previous deal, which was around $130M-ish. Vince said something to the extent that you could "guaranfuckingtee" it, or in similar vein. And what happens? They get an increase of roughly 33%. Not 100%. Not 200%. Not 300%. 33% (which IIRC is almost the exact number I predicted). Of course it's impossible to lie about an event that hasn't happened yet, but they HAD to know they weren't going to get NASCAR money. But rather than temper investor expectations, management just added fuel to the fire. $31! $31! And obviously with the network numbers, they were off by 30% (again, I said they wouldn't hit the target). That's not missing it by a few thousand, they missed it by a few HUNDRED THOUSAND. Now, whether in the long run the network becomes profitable is up in the air (IMHO once they expand internationally and get some economies of scale going, it should be), but the fact is that what they said turned out to be markedly different from reality.

Also, investors didn't "put money in WWEs pockets" by bidding up the price. A company only receives cash when the initial stock is offered (IPO), the cash on the balance sheet doesn't change regardless if the stock price is tumbling or soaring, unless they issue more stock at the current price, which would dilute existing owners, which would force the price down. But if WWEs price were to open at $150 a share on Monday, the company would have the exact same amount of cash regardless if it opened at $1.50.

This has nothing to do with "not knowing how the wrestling industry operates." WWE has had a virtual monopoly on the North American wrestling market since 2001, and since 2004 (which is the furthest my data goes back), their profit margin was dwindled from 12% (healthy if unremarkable) to under 3%, which is abyssmal when you're the entire fucking industry. The McMahon's basically pay themselves via diviends, which since 2006, anywhere from as low as 131% to as high as 1,301%. A healthy dividend payout is typically around 30-60% of net income. If dividends aren't paid out from net income, they're paid out from the cash on the balance sheet. So for the better part of a decade, the McMahon's have been draining the company's cash balance, have a stock price that has remained stagnant sans these last 4 months, and a steadily declining profit margin. From a financial standpoint, it's a terribly run company.

I know it no longer exists, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Sportatorium. Same thing with the Mid South Coliseum.

Other than the post four or five posts above? ;)

I believe the Irish MCNeil Boys Club in Shreveport no longer exists either. Same with Maple Leaf Gardens.

For an out of the box suggestion, i'd say one of the reservations on the Tony Condello death Toursin northern canada.

The Maple Leaf Gardens building still technically exists. It's just been renovated and is a Loblaws grocery store. 006.JPG

Antacular, since you clearly understand the wrestling business and the stock market far more than WWE management and the Wall Street experts to the point where you are bragging about accurately predicting to the decimal point the new WWE tv deal, have you considered a career in the financial sector? It seems like you can potentially make billions instead of slumming it with us common folk.

And when you do, please don't forget to treat us to a ride on your helicopter fleet to you private island where Carlito greets all of your guests.

"Antacular shot down everything I said because I'm too much of a McMahon sycophant to realize how bad WWE management is, rather than rationally look at the situation and think independently for myself. So instead of thanking the guy for taking time to explain how the company is bleeding cash, why it's overvalued, or what that investment firm was actually doing since I apparently don't know what it means to "go short," I'll just call the guy who's left of Lenin a fatcat banker becuz WWE RULZ."

I'd send you a postcard but my ivory tower only staffs stylus' for our iPads.

• Like 4

Cornette would be impossibly high maintenance.  You'd constantly have to filter yourself.  You can't mention this guy or that angle or that promoter without him getting all pissy.

Heyman you could just fucking talk and he's roll with whatever.

It's like who would you rather hang out with? Saul Goodman or Walter White?

Saul, baby, Saul.

So who would people rather have as a manager Heyman or Cornette? 

Corny would be more loyal, but you would have greater short term gain with Heyman.

Cornette. Because while I fancy myself a pretty good talker all by my lonesome, if I've gotta devote myself to staying in matches with tougher babyfaces long enough for the manager to bring his tennis racket and/or charmingly anachronistic cellphone into play, then I can't be worrying about contracts and paperwork. Dean Ambrose just couldn't hack that, and I'm not nearly the titty master he is. Heyman might be better on the numbers side than Corny, but either is gonna end up with me out of the business. Corny just won't rob me blind on my way out.

• Like 1

I'd have Paulie manage me to a Championship and then dump him for Cornette. Basically, use Paulie for his skill to get you to the top, but then switch to a guy who'll always be loyal, has his own money, and is rich enough to hire the best lawyers to negate any deal I had with Paulie who couldn't afford the legal fight .

Man, what's all this loyalty stuff?  I'm not looking for a domestic partner.  That's what the Romanian bride google ads on the DVDVR are for.

I'm looking for someone to rocket me to the top of the world and slaughter anyone between me and there.  Someone who can handle business and bidness all at the same time.

Someone without a single scruple anywhere in their being. 

• Like 1

Man, what's all this loyalty stuff? I'm not looking for a domestic partner. That's what the Romanian bride google ads on the DVDVR are for.

I'm looking for someone to rocket me to the top of the world and slaughter anyone between me and there. Someone who can handle business and bidness all at the same time.

Someone without a single scruple anywhere in their being.

That's my point. Heyman gets you to the top where you're making the big money. Then, before he rips you off or wants too much of the cheddar, you dump him for someone who's more concerned about keeping you on top because of his ego, has his own money, and is loyal. And has his mothers lawyers to take care of anything Heyman can try to contest with.

For a long time heel manager, Corny never really betrayed anyone he managed. I'm sure I'm forgetting one or two times. But that is still a good average.

I don't assume him betraying me is what would take me out of the business. I would assume that eventually he'd get massive heat with someone powerful and I'd be dragged down as well.