DVDVR Message Board

The Idiocy of Donald Sterling

Josh Mann

Ernie went at Sterling the hardest. Said if it's true... if that's him on the tape then he needs to be gone. Barkley and Kenny said he needs to be suspended but that the players should still play. Shaq didn't say anything of note.

It's sad that these ex-players have to bite their tongue on this issue. They are obviously afraid to say anything TOO out there. Ernie was even surprised.. like "wait, he signs the players checks, this is all you guys got?"

Broussard is really the only one in the media that made a stand. Compared Sterling to a slave owner. I respect that he says what he feels. It's not easy working for the evil Mickey Mouse empire.

This is sickening:

Ethan J. Skolnick  @EthanJSkolnick

Rockets players told not to talk about Sterling. Respect right of players not to comment. Don't like them being ordered in that direction.

Ernie went at Sterling the hardest. Said if it's true... if that's him on the tape then he needs to be gone. Barkley and Kenny said he needs to be suspended but that the players should still play. Shaq didn't say anything of note.

HOLD UP....You telling me, that there's a chance it might not be Donald Sterling on the tape...

... the other thing about this is why is his GF recording phone conversations...

Back to the subject of NBA games...

Pacers-Hawks game has been very entertaining. Started watching in the 3rd quarter. Both teams have had some horrible offensive possessions.

At the risk of being inflammatory, why are people trying to make a distinction between "racist" and "old guy racist"? Dude said something completely fucking racist. It doesn't matter if he is old, crazy, rich, or whatever other qualifier we can throw out there. It's not a product of a different time or any other such nonsense. It's just flat out racism. We shouldn't paint it as eccentric or lovable, which is what ends up happening when we use terms that make Donald Sterling, known moron/racist/awful human being, seem like a Bert Cooper from last weeks Mad Men. 

• Like 2

At the risk of being inflammatory, why are people trying to make a distinction between "racist" and "old guy racist"? Dude said something completely fucking racist. It doesn't matter if he is old, crazy, rich, or whatever other qualifier we can throw out there. It's not a product of a different time or any other such nonsense. It's just flat out racism. We shouldn't paint it as eccentric or lovable, which is what ends up happening when we use terms that make Donald Sterling, known moron/racist/awful human being, seem like a Bert Cooper from last weeks Mad Men. 

Calling him an old guy racist wasn't meant to do that.  It's just funny that this, of all the horrible Sterling shit, is the tipping point. 

I don't watch Mad Men. Are you calling this Bert Cooper character an eccentric or lovable racist to differentiate him from an awful human being racist like Donald Sterling?

Funny thing is, dude's girlfriend is ethnic(and hot)

I think he's more old guy racist than KKK racist. 

I had a friend like that.  He was/is against interracial dating...until he got stationed in Texas and ended up marrying a "hot" Mexican girl. The pussy stopped being my friend when I called him out on his hypocrisy.

What's getting somewhat lost in this is the estranged wife is suing the mistress for embezzlement of $1.8 million. The mistress says he gave her gifts, the wife says the mistress tricked him out of the money/property. I wouldn't be surprised if the wife used this as a means to have Sterling declared mentally unfit, and take the team from him via divorce.

Also, when Jordan takes a stance on the Sterling situation, you KNOW it's bad.

The other owners are about to feed Sterling to the wolves.  It should have happened a long time ago.

How? They can't make him sell, the lawsuit that would arise from any attempt to strip him of the team would take years to resolve. A simmons tweeted, they couldn't force out George Shinn, and they won't do it to Sterling. Even if they could find a way to do it, why would any owner want to set that precedent? If they do it to Sterling, wouldn't Dolan be next? Then Jimmy Buss or whoever?

Also, when Jordan takes a stance on the Sterling situation, you KNOW it's bad.

The other owners are about to feed Sterling to the wolves.  It should have happened a long time ago.

How? They can't make him sell, the lawsuit that would arise from any attempt to strip him of the team would take years to resolve. A simmons tweeted, they couldn't force out George Shinn, and they won't do it to Sterling. Even if they could find a way to do it, why would any owner want to set that precedent? If they do it to Sterling, wouldn't Dolan be next? Then Jimmy Buss or whoever?

I said nothing about selling the team.  But they can keep Sterling out of the daily business of running the team.  No attending games, no meetings, stay his old racist ass at home. It's not a perfect solution, but at least shows something on the issue.

How/why was Sterling allowed to show his face, when everyone knew his background?  Even MLB managed to get Marge Schott out, though she was in poor health and her managing owner situation was about to expire. Still, she was suspended before that.

Dolan should have been suspended because along with Isiah, he created a culture ripe for sexual misconduct.  AFAIK, Buss is just another dumb owner. Plenty of those types running around, but that's not illegal/immoral.

Sterling will still file a lawsuit. As for the others, once you have the precedent to remove an owner, merely being a dumb owner might be enough in the public eye. That's jumping ahead several dozen steps, but I don't see it getting that far. Yes Sterling is a racist pig, but that's still legal as far as I can tell. Boycott the team? Sure. Suspend him from the arena and a fine? Anything more and its in the court system. . .

Silver was one of Stern's legal consults, so it's not as if he doesn't know every punctuation mark in the league constitution.

I don't blame him, but he spoke yesterday like a man who knew every word out of his mouth could be potentially deposed later.

In other "this can't be real life" news, apparently Sterling was about to receive a lifetime achievement award from the LA chapter of the NAACP.

They've since reconsidered.

That was to be the SECOND time that gave it to him too. . .