DVDVR Message Board

Huh?  They had Kenneth Branagh direct Thor.  Really, if anything has grouped the directors they've hired together, it's the overall idiosyncrasy of the choices.  An indie film director, a guy best known for doing Shakespeare, a tv writer/director/geek god, a briefly massively successful action film writer who had directed exactly one movie in his career, nearly a decade earlier...  That's a lot of out of left field choices. 

• Like 1

I'm curious if people will really get hooked into the "THIS IS ONE BIG STORY" aspect of the Marvel Movies. There's not really ever been anything like it in hollywood, has there? Where you two movies a year that are all part of an ongoing tapestry and that all "Count." This is uncharted territory using the most addictive aspect of comics to get there.

Honestly, the closest comparison I could find to phase 1 build to The Avengers are the later days of the old Universal Monster movies, when Frankenstein, Wolf Man, and Dracula were all winding up in the same films.

But that was obviously done with a lot less planning and foresight.

Huh?  They had Kenneth Branagh direct Thor.  Really, if anything has grouped the directors they've hired together, it's the overall idiosyncrasy of the choices.  An indie film director, a guy best known for doing Shakespeare, a tv writer/director/geek god, a briefly massively successful action film writer who had directed exactly one movie in his career, nearly a decade earlier...  That's a lot of out of left field choices. 

You would think Disney/MS and WB would go on a spending spree to find top notch (at least in terms of name power or knowing what these projects require) directors, but I think Wright's departure illustrates why they haven't. Well that and Ang Lee's Hulk. You have Cuaron, Kosinski (who I have a love/hate relationship with), Andrew Adamson (most low key guy to ever gross over a billion total), George Niofl, and probably a few other guys who I probably missed that are ripe for the picking or not tied down to long term projects. But nope. Did this guy direct that one episode of Game of Thrones? Maybe we should give him a shot.

But at least they don't keep hiring the same hacks over and over again.

Just remember, we could easily have wound up in a world where Michael Bay oversaw the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

• Like 2

In seven weeks Winter Solider has made $704M while after 3 weeks Amazing Spider-Man 2 has made $633M so it's not like they are ever going to lose money on this. Even though Spider-Man isn't making what it was it's still bigger than anything that doesn't involve Batman or Downey Jr. Cap is making more money than before because of Downey Jr. being awesome which led to the massive Avengers success. That's the reason why Thor tops out at $600M and Iron Man does $1.2 billion. It's nothing to do with the character. It's everything to do with Downey Jr.

Spider-Man franchise has dipped because the reboot was way too soon and also had to follow one of the worst movies in recent memory, Spider-Man 3.

Batman will crush Cap, it's really not even going to be close.. 

Huh? They had Kenneth Branagh direct Thor. Really, if anything has grouped the directors they've hired together, it's the overall idiosyncrasy of the choices. An indie film director, a guy best known for doing Shakespeare, a tv writer/director/geek god, a briefly massively successful action film writer who had directed exactly one movie in his career, nearly a decade earlier... That's a lot of out of left field choices.

With a few exceptions (Branagh notably, but also note that they didn't bother bringing him back for part 2), they're all linked by being guys with extensive backgrounds in "doing what someone tells me to do."

• Like 1

Batman will crush Cap, it's really not even going to be close.. 

Not that this is the be all, end all indicator, but the news of the title came out in the early morning and was still trending at like 4 a.m. CST. That was just for a meaningless subtitle. Twitter will break when the first teaser comes out. 

There's Batman and then there's... stuff... 

Actually, I hope Transformers makes 5 billion dollars because not only will that help me in the blockbuster pool but that will continue to enrage a lot of people who take alien robots created to sell toys a little too seriously...

What does that have to do with this thread? Everything.

I like Transformers, but my problems with those movies is a lot less "he's treating a beloved property badly" and much more "holy fuck are these movies terrible."

• Like 2

Huh? They had Kenneth Branagh direct Thor. Really, if anything has grouped the directors they've hired together, it's the overall idiosyncrasy of the choices. An indie film director, a guy best known for doing Shakespeare, a tv writer/director/geek god, a briefly massively successful action film writer who had directed exactly one movie in his career, nearly a decade earlier... That's a lot of out of left field choices.

You would think Disney/MS and WB would go on a spending spree to find top notch (at least in terms of name power or knowing what these projects require) directors, but I think Wright's departure illustrates why they haven't. Well that and Ang Lee's Hulk. You have Cuaron, Kosinski (who I have a love/hate relationship with), Andrew Adamson (most low key guy to ever gross over a billion total), George Niofl, and probably a few other guys who I probably missed that are ripe for the picking or not tied down to long term projects. But nope. Did this guy direct that one episode of Game of Thrones? Maybe we should give him a shot.

I think the days of those types of guys getting these jobs is over. Chris Nolan made three movies that raked in money and acclaim hand over fist...but he also balked at 3D repeatedly and took his sweet damn time between movies, costing WB who knows how much more money.

No studio wants to be "held hostage" by an auteur type director anymore. They'll all be following the Marvel model of bringing in interchangeable workman-type guys who can follow orders and deliver the movies on time and on budget and not get fussy over shooting on Film, or whatever.

Oh, clearly BvS is going to make more.

I said IF there was justice in the world.  Which there clearly isn't.

The big difference is that DC can manage 1 or 2 franchises, sputteringly, and Marvel has two movies a year? The JL movie was a bust. The WW movie was a bust. The WW TV show was a bust. Green Lantern bombed, etc. 

I have no real interest in Batman vs Superman. The Superman they presented sure as hell isn't the one I care about (But then neither is the Donner version, really), but i hope for the sake of everyone involved, they have a real plan here.

The first one was okay, come on dude...  :)

It's a bad movie.  Not a "screamingly awful, how the fuck did this get made, why god why" bad movie, but a bad movie.  The fight scenes are so fucking incomprehensible, the "comedy" so incredibly unfunny, and Shia Lebouf (I refuse to check and see if I spelled that right) is in it.

The second one absolutely is a "screamingly awful, how the fuck did this get made, why god why" bad movie.  I've said it before, but it's the worst big budget, major studio movie I've ever seen.  It has all the problems of the first one, except even worse, plus it adds some casual racism and a leg humping joke. 

At some point, I wound up watching the third one despite all that, and, honestly, it's the best of the three.  It's still a bad movie, but it's less bad.  At least shooting in 3D forced Bay to slow down some during the action scenes, so you can kind of tell what is happening. 

The 4th one has Dinobots, so that's at least 1 thing going for it.  And it upgraded from Shia to Mark Wahlberg.  So that's two good things.  No chance in hell I pay money to see it in a theater though.

And, hey, lets all just be happy for Nolan.  He made three Batman films, made a ton of money, and put his name up to the point where he can make films that would normally be considered high risk, but actually get the budget to do them.  I don't *love* Inception, but I liked it, and I love the fact that it got made.  Interstellar looks possibly amazing (even if, as I've heard, that trailer is really just a trailer for the first 10 minutes or so of the movie) and that's awesome that he gets to do that kind of stuff.

My guess is that you found Godzilla, which is also a movie that is not about the title character but its effect on the world around him from a human perspective more because Godzilla doesn't actually have much of a personality, except for pissed off and occasionally vaguely heroic and pissed off. They did a transformers movie and made the transformers ciphers. 

Yeah, I don't think the outrage against Transformers is due to the desecretion of a franchise so much as the $22 and 5 hours of my life I'll never get back.

Either all those pissed off people are still going or Bay is cloning motherfuckers in his basement because this shit is still going to make a cool billy

I think the days of those types of guys getting these jobs is over. Chris Nolan made three movies that raked in money and acclaim hand over fist...but he also balked at 3D repeatedly and took his sweet damn time between movies, costing WB who knows how much more money.

No studio wants to be "held hostage" by an auteur type director anymore. They'll all be following the Marvel model of bringing in interchangeable workman-type guys who can follow orders and deliver the movies on time and on budget and not get fussy over shooting on Film, or whatever.

Which is probably why someone like Noam Murro, who basically did the 2nd 300 movie how WB/Snyder wanted him to, is being groomed to direct a GL or WW movie instead. 

Yeah, I don't think the outrage against Transformers is due to the desecretion of a franchise so much as the $22 and 5 hours of my life I'll never get back.

Either all those pissed off people are still going or Bay is cloning motherfuckers in his basement because this shit is still going to make a cool billy

5133H8SZ04L.jpg