DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 38: Shogun vs. Henderson II (3/23/2014) - Natal, Rio Grande do Norte, Brazil (Ginásio Nélio Dias)

Elsalvajeloco

Guest Edwin

I get what you are saying, but how the hell are you going to reference a Diego Sanchez fight that happened in 2006? 

The point is that it proves that he's not one dimensional overall or hasn't been one dimensional overall and has other aspects in his game that he just opts not to use.

Someone like Paul Daley, Professor X, Pat Barry, etc. are the true definition of one dimensional.

Again, I understand what you are trying to say, but that absolutely does not prove any point. That fight happened 3 YEARS! before BJ stole his soul, and that fight feels like an eternity ago.  It's a different sport now. It very clearly a different Diego Sanchez.

I do think he's a decent defensive grappler, but I certainly wouldn't use the Karo fight as the barometer.

It does prove the point that he was/is more than a one dimensional fighter. Like I said before:

His striking is actually one of the weakest aspects of his game. He's just begun to rely on it because it makes for exciting fights and it gaines him popularity and money.

He's a very good grappler, but most non hardcore fans don't want to watch grappling and mainly just want to watch wild brawling which Diego's fun in and Dana himself has been pushing for this, so that's what Diego sticks to.

Heck, the UFC has been pushing for fighters to stand and trade so much that even Dong Hyun Kim who truly was a one dimensional boring grappler has even stopped using his judo and is KO'ing guys left and right.

I haven't watched the Karo fight in a while, but there's a bunch of grappling exchanges between them in it in which Diego shows great grappling skills both offensively and defensively.

I mean they are still among the top 10 light heavyweights in the world in one of the tougher divisions in MMA

What? LHW has become more shallow than HW at this point. It used to be THE division but not anymore.  There isn't a division other than HW that a person could really argue as being as weak as LHW.  In addition to that, putting either of those guys in a top 10 is pretty ridiculous. How the hell could a person have Dan Henderson, a guy who has lost three in a row in the top 10? He hasn't had a significant win in three years.  Shogun is the similar but at least he's had some wins in that time frame although his wins in the last three years are Forrest, Vera, and Te Huna.  If you have either of those guys on a top 10 list that further shows how bad that division is.   

I mean they are still among the top 10 light heavyweights in the world in one of the tougher divisions in MMA

What? LHW has become more shallow than HW at this point. It used to be THE division but not anymore.  There isn't a division other than HW that a person could really argue as being as weak as LHW.  In addition to that, putting either of those guys in a top 10 is pretty ridiculous. How the hell could a person have Dan Henderson, a guy who has lost three in a row in the top 10? He hasn't had a significant win in three years.  Shogun is the similar but at least he's had some wins in that time frame although his wins in the last three years are Forrest, Vera, and Te Huna.  If you have either of those guys on a top 10 list that further shows how bad that division is.   

I struggle with this thought process sometimes. Hendo's losses are to #2 and #3 at MW and #3 at LHW. Does losing to those 3 guys mean you aren't 8th in the division? I don't know. His problem is that he is fighting the top of the division so while it looks bad that he's losing, it's a bit different. I'm not sure how to mentally account for things like that.

Even Rampage was still ranked in the top 10 while he was on his losing streak.  Henderson is in the top 10 because he had a good run while he was outside the UFC, came back, beat Shogun and that basically made him No. 1 and the top contender to Jon Jones.  Then he lost in close fights to guys in the top 5.  The guys he lost to are former UFC light heavyweight champions and elite competition, or for Belfort and Machida, top contenders in other divisions, not exactly the ham and eggers and perpetual gatekeepers of the division.  

I was a HUGE Diego fan. When he snapped on the submission in the 3rd against Melendez, I marked out. I was a big man of him in the mid 2000s. His last offerings have been nothing more than punch spamming and tons of heart. The game has passed him by. His record is something to be proud of. The guy accomplished a lot in the sport, but just like everyone else from TUF season 1, his time has pass. Just like I didn't believe Griffin, Bonnar, or Koscheck could cause any problems in their division within the last 2-3 years, I feel the same with Diego right now. I will always have a spot in my heart for him and Ortiz, but those two are just trash in 2014.

Of the current top 15, Jon Jones had defeated 6 of them. Of those 6 that are ranked in the top 15 of LHW, 2 of them are fighting for the MW title and their last bouts were contested at the MW weightclass. Toss in the fact that the number 6 guy , Nogueria,  is incapable of staying healthy and this division is beyond suspect. Gregard is also for some reason ranked depite moving to MW as well. So that leaves you with Jones, Gustafsson, Teixeira, Evans, and Phil Davis, whom the UFC seems completely content on not pushing as a legitimate title threat as the legit top 5. I like DC and think he is a great talent, but there is no way beating Pat Cummins should have put him higher than Ryan Bader, or James Te Huna.

With almost half the division dropping to middleweight, in addition to the uninspiring depth at light heavyweight, the likely new entrants to the top 10 are fairly underwhelming and makes everything 100% suspect as I said.

What? LHW has become more shallow than HW at this point. It used to be THE division but not anymore. There isn't a division other than HW that a person could really argue as being as weak as LHW. In addition to that, putting either of those guys in a top 10 is pretty ridiculous. How the hell could a person have Dan Henderson, a guy who has lost three in a row in the top 10? He hasn't had a significant win in three years. Shogun is the similar but at least he's had some wins in that time frame although his wins in the last three years are Forrest, Vera, and Te Huna. If you have either of those guys on a top 10 list that further shows how bad that division is.

Even Rampage was still ranked in the top 10 while he was on his losing streak. Henderson is in the top 10 because he had a good run while he was outside the UFC, came back, beat Shogun and that basically made him No. 1 and the top contender to Jon Jones. Then he lost in close fights to guys in the top 5. The guys he lost to are former UFC light heavyweight champions and elite competition, or for Belfort and Machida, top contenders in other divisions, not exactly the ham and eggers and perpetual gatekeepers of the division.

I understand what you're saying but you have to realize you're trying to make a justification for a guy that hasn't won a fight in three years. If that guy is in your top ten then what does that say about the division as a whole?

What? LHW has become more shallow than HW at this point. It used to be THE division but not anymore. There isn't a division other than HW that a person could really argue as being as weak as LHW. In addition to that, putting either of those guys in a top 10 is pretty ridiculous. How the hell could a person have Dan Henderson, a guy who has lost three in a row in the top 10? He hasn't had a significant win in three years. Shogun is the similar but at least he's had some wins in that time frame although his wins in the last three years are Forrest, Vera, and Te Huna. If you have either of those guys on a top 10 list that further shows how bad that division is.

Even Rampage was still ranked in the top 10 while he was on his losing streak. Henderson is in the top 10 because he had a good run while he was outside the UFC, came back, beat Shogun and that basically made him No. 1 and the top contender to Jon Jones. Then he lost in close fights to guys in the top 5. The guys he lost to are former UFC light heavyweight champions and elite competition, or for Belfort and Machida, top contenders in other divisions, not exactly the ham and eggers and perpetual gatekeepers of the division.

I understand what you're saying but you have to realize you're trying to make a justification for a guy that hasn't won a fight in three years. If that guy is in your top ten then what does that say about the division as a whole?

Well it's been less than three years.  Plus he ended up spending all of 2012 on the shelf due to his knee injury when he was set to fight Jon Jones.

The unironic likes on grizzly's ironic post (16) is blowing my mind. Never change, DVDVRMB!

Also: I'm not burned out by weekly shows. In fact, I now find it weird if there's a week where there is no UFC. I don't see why a sporting promotion shouldn't run a show a week. It's not like it's the same dudes fighting.

• Like 1

The unironic likes on grizzly's ironic post (16) is blowing my mind. Never change, DVDVRMB!

Also: I'm not burned out by weekly shows. In fact, I now find it weird if there's a week where there is no UFC. I don't see why a sporting promotion shouldn't run a show a week. It's not like it's the same dudes fighting.

It's a good thing if you're a hardcore fan and have the time to watch all the events.  It's a selfish reason for why but it effects my overall enjoyment of the events- Having so many shows detracts from the importance and overall quality of each show.  For a lot of these fairly shitty cards, the main event of a lot of these could be the third or so fight from the top of a decent to stacked card.  Stacked cards are pretty rare now.  Just an example, I was interested in seeing Machida/Mousasi but I don't think that fight should really be the main event of a show unless the rest of the card is pretty strong.  That was a weak card altogether.   

At this rate Henderson and Shogun should lock the ref out of the octagon and just fight without them.  I don't know if it be any worse that what is going on tonight. 

Well I didn't see that CB Dolloway domination.  Is he finally hitting that potential

So at the time of the main event, it was 93 degrees in the building.  Well if anything will prevent a 5 round right (or death by exhaustion) that is it  :unsure: