DVDVR Message Board

Banging the head that does not bang

Curt McGirt

I was waaaaaaaay too young for that but the Somewhere Back In Time tour was my best concert memory ever. In fact, my only one as every other show I've been to has been club and house show gigs. It took Maiden playing their best material to get me into an amphitheater. It was worth it too, if falling to your knees and crying in supplication at least twice means "worth it". 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Deathspell Omega has a new EP coming out in November.

I love how they just materialize out of thin air with this shit. It's been about four years since Drought came out and nary a peep. I honestly thought they were done.

No preview tracks yet, but I'm excited. I have absolutely no idea where there gonna go with this one.

https://deathspellomega.bandcamp.com/album/the-synarchy-of-molten-bones

Imperial Triumphant - Inceste

Blood Incantation - Starspawn

Check out Cloak from Atlanta. They put out their first seven inch earlier this year, and uhhh, those fuckers are gonna take over. They're in that In Solitude/Tribulation/The Devil's Blood realm, but heavier and meaner. They're the real deal. That seven inch is up on their bandcamp.

If I think of anything else, I'll make sure to post.

I'm still waiting to find the new Sauron on Soulseek. The brand spankin' new High Spirits, Motivator is my highest of all recommendations. 

Right now I'm not thinking about newer music because I have a ticket for a show Sunday featuring two really good doom bands and THEE two GREATEST doom bands (we'll leave out Candlemass and others for the moment)

Yes, that is right. I have a ticket to see Saint Vitus (WITH REAGERS), The Skull, Witch Mountain, and Apostle of Solitude. If I don't show up after this, I'll be dead. Literally.

EDIT: The other two bands on the bill, Witch Mountain (who have been around forever but I've never heard until now) and Apostle of Solitude might be up your alleys more than the headliners and they have some sweet Bandcamps and videos. But I grew up with what I posted, and so did they...

SAINT.

FUCKING.

VITUS.

Scott Reagers made the sounds from the start of "Burial At Sea" by clinking beer bottles together next to the mic like he was the guy in The Warriors. Dave Chandler played his guitar over his head and right into the crowd. Totally worth getting lost for over an hour in the one-way street hell of Indianapolis.

Found one of the only Norsk BM albums I truly need on vinyl at Armageddon Shop in Providence. Coincidentally my best friend who only lives a couple miles away tried to buy it off of Discogs at the exact same time, same single copy same shop, and I won out. Neither of us knew the other were after that one used copy.

In the last month or so I've gotten Petitioning Forever, All We Love We Leave Behind, and You Fail Me Redux on vinyl and holy fucking shit I'm in love with Converge all over again.

Jane Doe gets a new vinyl pressing end of November and you're goddamn right I've already pre-ordered it.

• Like 1

Just got back from the Pru Center where I saw Megadeth. Some thoughts:

First act was Butcher Babies. They were fine in the sense that them being a support act for a club act would make me more likely to go if I was undecided.

Second act was Metal Church. They are fucking fantastic and I'd like to see them if they headlined BB Kings or Playstation Theater.

Third act was Suicidal Tendencies. They were the main reason I went as I've listened to them since I was in my early teens. They didn't disappoint. Actually the only thing that was disappointing was no Institutionalized but I knew that going in from reading recent set lists online.

Fourth act was some Swedish band I wasn't familiar with. They were incredible musicians for sure. Thing I had with them is a problem I have with a lot of Scandinavian metal: all the songs were about norse mythology and vikings and the viking imagery. It just feels like every Scandinavian metal band does the same songs with the same imagery and it just feels the same. Again they were fantastic but it's a matter of personal taste.

Headliner were Megadeth and they were great. They played a lot of new stuff but it wasn't bad. Of the Big 4 bands they are my least favorite but I still enjoy them and they are a worthy headliner. Too bad the people of NYC and North Jersey didn't agree as the crowd was in the 4,000 range and that was with massive papering. As I've said elsewhere the fact that Coldplay can fill stadiums and they could barely give tickets to this show away is proof civilization is doomed.

Amon Amarth is the Sverige band you speak of. Their whole thing is the Viking shit so you hit the nail on the head there, but there are plenty of bands from all of Scandinavia not doing that. It's a bad stereotype really. I had no idea Metal Church was on the bill, that would've been awesome to see. And no "Institutionalized"?! That's like A-Ha not playing "Take On Me". 

A friend of mine just snagged Jane Doe on vinyl so funny they're re-releasing it. I might have to get a copy but I don't wanna pay out the ass for it.

The only album Converge has put out since Jane Doe that I don't really dig is No Heroes. Beyond that, they have been so remarkably consistent. They also challenge themselves and don't put out the same record over and over again when they very easily could have gone that route.

If you ask me, if you exclude everything before When Forever Comes Crashing, they're on a run comparable to Fugazi, and I don't throw that kind of praise around lightly at all.

13 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

A friend of mine just snagged Jane Doe on vinyl so funny they're re-releasing it. I might have to get a copy but I don't wanna pay out the ass for it.

There was a copy of the 2007 pressing up on eBay a few weeks ago for 73 bucks that I almost pulled the trigger on but it was just too much. Then they announced the reissue, so big mistake averted.

I still need to get No Heroes and Axe To Fall, but they're both only around fifteen on vinyl.

Holy fuck, $73?! I'm practically addicted to vinyl at this point but I couldn't possibly pull the trigger on that. The closest thing I can even think of off the top of my head that's close to that price that I'd go for is the Solstice (UK) set and that's five LPs and a book.

EDIT: My friend got it for around $21 and not only is it gatefold but it has a 10 page book. Discogs would be a better bet looking for something like that than eBay, probably.

The talk about buying vinyl records as expensive collecters items reminds me of what Jello Biafra once did: he had 7 inch singles of one of his side projects produced as collector's editions, and they had a hole drilled through them so they couldn't be played.

• Like 2

Such a Jello move. Brilliant! 

Mike Bushur from High Spirits/Zuul/Oblong Box, an old friend of mine, just hipped me to this awesome band from Northern Ireland. The whole album is incredible but the end of this song in particular slayed me last night. Must've played it three or four times in a row.