DVDVR Message Board

Banging the head that does not bang

Curt McGirt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2016 at 10:57 AM, Roman said:

FUCK is this good or what? I love the tempo/mood shifts and as always am a sucker for female vocals. Expect 20 Buck Spin to get right on with these cats soon. This is fan-fucking-tastic. 

EDIT: Wait they're on Metal Blade?! Good catch. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I'd choose Terveet Kadet for a Finnish national anthem (or at least Beherit. Impaled Nazarene already has too many ideas for that shit and they shouldn't be allowed) but hey to each their own. Suomi Finland Perkele!

Anyways, next one in the Death Metal Re-Release 2016 Sweepstakes to hit my mailbox and rape my wallet is... SUFFOCATION!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, guess I'm glad I grabbed these before I walked off the job. 50 bones for both... metal reissues are too fucking expensive. The funny thing is you can find cheap metal on punk labels and cheap punk on metal labels. Anyway, the 2nd Grave is as good as the first and Pierced, which I've had forever but forgot about completely, is a smoker. Check out "Brood of Hatred" esp., the way it's structured and the variation of tempos, the HUGE bass drops in that doom part and then the insanely fast speedpicking after... woof.

Haven't caught that, but one beat in "Liege of Inveracity" on Effigy was super hip hop. You know the drummer on that album was 17 years old? 17.

EDIT: Okay, I can kinda hear it but I think it's a stretch. You know, everybody lays the blame on them (and rightfully so) for this atrocious "slam death" horseshit but when you listen to the records they owe way more to technical, cusp of the '90s deathrash bands like Sadus and even Dark Angel than contemporary meatheads like Cannibal Corpse who pretty much took their style and dumbed it down. 

• 4 weeks later...

It's hilarious, as are Manowar. At the same time I have to use this as an opportunity to pimp their first four albums. Yes, they are ridiculous; yes, they are awesome as well. You wanna yell at somebody go yell at the Rhapsody fans. 

EDIT: Good lord. 

HAIL THEIR LOUD BATTLE

Burn all the hammer against the blood
Attack all the honor
We attack the victorious blood and sword against the wind
Kill all the victorious wind and metal
Kill magic steel
Attack dead steel

Hail their loud battle
I kill honor and the kings without strong battle
Hail their loud battle
Hail the sword with sword

Burn their bloody death without master
Kill your magic battle and the death
Feel the dead power
Burn their master

Hail their loud battle
Hail their loud battle
Hail their loud battle
Hail their loud battle

日本語でマノウォー!

• 2 weeks later...

It's so, so, so good though you guys. They live-streamed the audio from the Vikings' new stadium last night (thankfully no video, so I was able to listen in the background during NXT and UFC) and its even better live.

2 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

Me when new Metallica song hit this week: "Oh man, this is a ripper! I'm going to go check out more info about the new album!"

----

...sees that the track that got released is the first three minutes of a 12-song, double-disc 80+ minute record...

----

Me: "Sonofabitch!"

I agree that some of the songs on St. Anger and Death Magnetic were way, way too long, but it's not the length that kills them necessarily, it's the fact that they just feel sort of disjointed and copy/pasted at times, if that makes any sense. I mean, most of the songs from the first four albums and even a few tracks from Load/Reload are pretty damn long, and I've been into those for my entire life. These last two albums just felt different. So I had the exact same reaction as you. But then I read some quotes about it from Lars, and my hopes are kind of high that this one might be a little different on that front:

Asked about his previous comment that the songs on "Hardwired" would sound "less frenetic" than those on "Death Magnetic", Ulrich explained: "Most of the songs are simpler. We introduce a mood and we stick to it, rather than songs we've done where one riff happens and we go over here and then over there and becomes a journey through all these different soundscapes. The songs are more linear. And by 'less frenetic,' I mean there are certainly less starts and stops in the songs. It cruises along a little bit more than the last record."

Lars also talked about how the "Kill 'Em All" and "Ride The Lightning" reissues affected the making of "Hardwired". He said: "I can't say that there was a magical moment where we're listening to 'Metal Militia' and wrote a song. But we did play 'Kill 'Em All' in its entirety at the Orion festival in Detroit in 2013. That was the first time I really got into that record. Early on, I was dismissive of that record because 'Ride The Lightning' and 'Master Of Puppets' may be a little more intellectually stimulating and challenging — they were deeper records — and it wasn't until 2013 when we played it that I realized 'Kill 'Em All' had a cohesiveness. It had its own thing with the speed, but it's simpler — the songs are longer but not quite as progressive. It's a world all its own. And I think there are some elements of that that rubbed off into this. I'd say there's a trace of residue from rediscovering 'Kill 'Em All' that crept into the songwriting."

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/metallica-performs-hardwired-song-live-for-first-time-releases-new-album-trailer/#gc2mQvkdllI2f7Lh.99

The new Revocation is so dreamy

Dave Davidson is America's new guitar gawd. I'd put a poster of him up in my room if I were a teenager and not middle-aged and doughy

Gotdamn this has been a great year for metal. Sumac. Gojira. Revocation. FALLUJAH. Opeth arrives soon. Hopefully eight years was enough time for Metallica to create a better-than-middling disc (reckon the odds are against it given its a double album). And last and best of all....

So I found something that made my internal fourteen year old lose his shit, on double colored vinyl with a giant poster. And I ordered it on sight. Say what you want, but those of you who were dying for an album that you could never find a copy of, or your parents wouldn't let you get if they caught you buying it... this is for you. 

Spoiler

I've got better stories about better albums actually being taken back but this is just a stone "never got it" for me. Good taste be damned! And say whatever you want but you can't say shit about the coverart.

On 8/11/2016 at 11:57 AM, Curt McGirt said:

It's hilarious, as are Manowar. At the same time I have to use this as an opportunity to pimp their first four albums. Yes, they are ridiculous; yes, they are awesome as well. You wanna yell at somebody go yell at the Rhapsody fans. 

EDIT: Good lord. 

日本語でマノウォー!

I can't help but think Jericho is singing.