DVDVR Message Board

Banging the head that does not bang

Curt McGirt

I'd never heard of them until Powertrip came out, then grabbed Spine of God and flipped. Then I got Superjudge... and didn't flip. The only other one I've heard is 25... Tab which my bass player at the time burned for me, and it's just fine. Should probably get around to downloading all those old EPs sometime. 

Since a show I was going to fell through I kinda splurged and got the bowling-shoe ugly reissue of Endless Pain by Kreator. It houses a completely unnecessary extra LP consisting of two demos -- six tracks in total, boy howdy. Noise did a great job with the Voivod reissues and then got money hungry and shit the bed like they're wont to do. Look up what they did to the cover and reel in disgust! Meanwhile, I'm just happy to replace my old cassette tape. It looks like they didn't fuck up the Running Wild reissues so there's that. I wouldn't be surprised if the art changes were a Kreator decision either because, hey... it is Kreator, after all. They've been making dodgy musical and artistic decisions for years (like continuing to play). 

For an album recorded by a bunch of teenagers who didn't even have driving permits and had to borrow a tuned guitar from somebody to record it, it's pretty damn good haha

Pallbearer and Urn just came in and confirmed I'm an art collector as much as a record collector apparently. These things are gorgeous, and the Urn unfolds (literally) like no other album sleeve I have aside from a crazy Sabbat triple 6" that turns into an inverted cross. Or Hawkwind's Space Ritual, I guess. And they printed the lyrics backwards! 

Still love this album so much and having that beautiful art and packaging just adds to it (don't worry the link isn't broken, cover just doesn't show up til you click it)

• 4 weeks later...

Just got a "fan club" (bootleg) LP copy of Illusions (AKA Chemical Exposure) by Sadus. If it hurts your feelings, I've owned the Roadrunner tape for years, and those assholes aren't re-releasing it anytime soon. Anyway, this is the most ripping of rippers on a ripper of a ripping album. Steve DiGiorgio is God Of Bass Playing (fretless!)

• 2 weeks later...

Not to be a dick but Dominic Steiner played on To Mega Therion. It really is a shame Ain wasn't on that one due to his constant personal conflicts with Tom Warrior. For me, the bass playing on Morbid Tales is, bar none, the best in metal. To a great extent he made those songs, which IMO are the best ever -- the album is still in my top five albums of all time of any genre. 

Died while switching trams of a heart attack at 50. Fuckin hell...

Since he not only partially wrote but sang this one, I think this is a more than proper send-off. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Talk about a Halloween treat! I got super lucky this morning and got FOUR count'em FOUR records in the mail

you all know what this is

pretty good Portland death metal, faster/different/better than the Entombed worship of their previous full-length. Go grab it from 20 Buck Spin (one of the best labels out there)

Finnish death/grinders with their debut LP on Hell's Headbangers, members in a bunch of other bands (Carnifex, Festerday, etc.)

My boys, I was actually in the thanks list on the CD version of this album. Unfortunately that isn't in the vinyl repress :( Features some excellent originals along with covers of DRI, Warfare, Anthrax (ugh... it is Neil Turban-era at least), and Tankard