DVDVR Message Board

Banging the head that does not bang

Curt McGirt

That Aktor is pretty weird but good. Reminds me of the Cirith Ungol demos on that Servants of Chaos comp that Metal Blade put out years ago, especially the keys. Speaking of the good Professor the last Dawnbringer is really good, as always. I like it better than the last one. 

Leaning more on the crust side of things, the new Morkhimmel is damn good. Vocals sound exactly like Martin Van Drunen (Asphyx/Pestilence, etc.) which was a lock for me immediately. Has kind of an Asphyx vibe to it actually so don't be turned off by the crust part if that's not your thing.

Oh yeah... and the almighty Gehennah finally put out a new record, mostly re-recorded stuff but it sounds killer. Kings of the fucking sidewalk!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE_8OhzLBZ8

• Like 1

Those Cirith Ungol demos were a frigging revelation. I've always been a fan, but that was one of the rare demo collections where I feel like those being out there on a wider level actively added to the band's recorded legacy.

Seconding the love for the new Dawnbringer, but I'm beginning to fear that the sounds of all of the projects he's in is creeping together, and that as his vocals on Dawnbringer get a little more "rock" it's not as distinctive from the other stuff he does.

Don't get me wrong though, as I do love me some High Spirits:

• Like 2

That last Dawnbringer started to mix up the vocals towards the end though -- the gruffier stuff and the Lemmy vox he does in Superchrist. Song styles also started to vary wildly which is why I liked it more than the last one. 

And fuck yes, though High Spirits gets more depressing lyrically with each record, I love the hell out of them. I'm friends with both Chris and especially Mike from them and it was great to talk to him recently at a local show where Wrist (featuring members of the old death metal band Morgue) played Venom covers and just shoot the shit. Their overseas excursions have been mind-blowing to him and it's great to know a good friend you don't stay in constant contact with is so happy and has come from the barns of the Midwest to be kicking ass in countries all over the world :)

EDIT: Speaking of Wrist. http://wristblasters.bandcamp.com/releases Great band if you like Venomish, Motorheadish stuff. The only recent band aside from Gehennah that I think compares in that vein is Bat 

• Like 1

Thanks for the hat tip on Wrist, good stuff, nice and filthy.

And yeah, that Bat EP is great. Been digging most of the side projects the Municipal Waste crew have been tossing out there.

I gotta time one of my trips back to the Midwest to see Dawnbringer or High Spirits at some point. I can't complain too much as I'm in L.A. and spoiled for awesome shows and tours, but it seems he never gets out here with any of those projects live.

And speaking of getting out to the Midwest for awesome shows, I'm really bumming that I probably won't be able to get out to Hell's Headbash

Those Cirith Ungol demos were a frigging revelation. I've always been a fan, but that was one of the rare demo collections where I feel like those being out there on a wider level actively added to the band's recorded legacy.

Seconding the love for the new Dawnbringer, but I'm beginning to fear that the sounds of all of the projects he's in is creeping together, and that as his vocals on Dawnbringer get a little more "rock" it's not as distinctive from the other stuff he does.

Don't get me wrong though, as I do love me some High Spirits:

Maybe it's me and I'm dating myself with this reference but I can hear this playing in the background of some low budget 80's film where some guy/kid is training/practicing martial arts to prepare for some final battle with the bad guy of the film.

That being said, loved the song and I'm sure I'll be adding more of their stuff to my iTunes.

• Like 2

Man I'm 2 1/2 hours away from Chicago and I can't even get out to anything metal-related there due to money and trying to find a ride. The recent Cianide/Bones/Wretch show was the most recent burn in that regard. Hell's Headbash is way way way out of my price range and I'm not a big fan of fests in the first place, but this one... woof. Maybe I could spend my entire tax return just to party for three days with a bunch of friends and some of my favorite bands but that ain't happening; at this point I need a new vinyl player before anything.

While on the dual topics of Asphyx and vinyl, I found out 20 Buck Spin out of the Bay Area has The Rack and Last One On Earth on wax. And along with that Bulldozer, Paul Chain, Bathory, Repugnant, Drowned, Incantation, Destroyer 666 (which sucks because for a great band and great record, they're fucking racist), etc. http://www.20buckspinshop.com/ I used to read the owner's column in Maximumrocknroll before they got enough backlash or had enough prejudice against metal to stop it and he seems like a good dude, so check out the store. They also put out all the Pallbearer records apparently too.

• Like 1

I'm just posting these to celebrate. I've been waiting for either a new stylus, or trying to find a new record player or receiver, for over a month. I bought a new record player incompatible with my receiver and lost a stylus in the mail; today I almost destroyed the arm trying to take the old stylus off and had a meltdown. The following albums which I paid a great deal for have been sitting in a pile for about a month now. 

Japan is a foreign country. You especially realize this when you mix '80s hardcore punk with Iron Maiden harmonies and have a singer that rambles and hisses and likes to shoot blanks into the crowd, run into the crowd with a chainsaw, beat journalists up on the subway, etc. I cannot believe I own this album. Sakevi would murder me. 

Speaking of purist punks that played metal-edged hardcore (and in the Discharge vein not the fucking Hatebreed vein), this is the best of the best. Responsible for way more other bands than you would imagine afterwards. 

I paid a little over $50 for these incomparable godheads on Record Store Day (non-reissues that won't ever be re-issued again probably) and I'd do it again in a second. Travel into outer- and innerspace with Montreal's greatest, would you?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Purchased the EMI-Harvest vinyl of this album today for an exorbitant amount but what the hell, it was worth it, more than anything because 1. I had the money, 2. because I already own the Harvest edition of the debut purchased from the same store, and 3. this song is the gold standard of all Maiden songs next to "Phantom of the Opera" and "Revelations" to me. Up the Irons!

• Like 1

Oh yeah, the Dwell Records comps! I think the only one I ever got of those was the Celtic Frost one, which was the first before the deluge of them that came out after. Also I have that Slatanic Slaughter comp that Blackend put out; haven't heard either album in forever. 

Damn Steel Prophet have been around since '85? Why have I never heard of them? Apparently they also covered "The Apparition" by Fates Warning which may just be the best power metal song ever. 

Screw terminology, that is just one of the best heavy metal songs ever. Period.

EDIT: That Steel Prophet cover is pretty solid if workmanlike. A little slower, doesn't have the 'umph' of the original, but they still nail it. I also like the segue into "Purgatory", at first my head couldn't wrap around it, but it works.

Ides of March/Purgatory should be played together always. The first time I ever heard them, they were played that way and goddammit it's just right.

This is how I'll always feel about "Hell Awaits" and "The Anti-Christ" by Slayer since my first exposure to pre-"Reign In Blood" material was through the live Decade of Aggression set they put out in the early '90s. The set starts out with those two back-to-back bleeding into each other and it just works so well, I'll always associate them in a running order even though they the studio versions are on separate albums in the chronology.

It was the same for me with hearing them first on Decade (or perhaps Live Intrusion), but I've listened to Show No Mercy and Hell Awaits (and Haunting the Chapel) so many times since that they're always individual songs in my mind. 

Ha! Guess what that real special thing that showed up in the mail on Friday happened to be? The wax of this.

So, quite a coincidence there. And now I found that 20 Buck Spin has Vulcano - Bloody Vengeance and Sepultura - Schizophrenia on vinyl. I'm def. going back to them... hell, they even put a Fright Flicks card in the Bathory package. It was like they were reading into my childhood.

And so the vinyl madness continues. Tonight I order Gehennah - Metal Police and Sepultura - Schizophrenia, tomorrow I go to the local store and get reissues of Venom - Black Metal and Motorhead - Overkill (they also have Bomber, No Sleep Til Hammersmith, and Iron Fist -- my first Motorhead album ever -- but those will have to wait, minus No Sleep cause I already have it). Fuckin' hell!

EDIT: You can add this one to the pile

"When I'm flush, I'm flush." - Ziggy Sobotka, The Wire