DVDVR Message Board

Banging the head that does not bang

Curt McGirt

A couple things I just got in the mail on vinyl today:

(one of the best death metal albums ever)

(it's Manilla Road... just listen)

(dark dark dark, listen in the proper mood. And yes it is as goofy but mind-crippling as its artwork)

Earache (and Century Media, who licensed it) really shit the bed not giving lyrics or liner notes to Blessed, when I got a fucking poster of the album art of The Deluge. Especially funny considering the last reissue of Blessed they had a poster and a buddy of mine got it as the backside of a poster of some live DVD Earache put out. 

Also here's something I found today that's pretty good

EDIT: The Blessed cover is incredible but the opportunity to have this on your wall is just as good. 

MI0003198199.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1. This crosses a bunch of interests we here have -- punk, metal, the '80s, Japan.

2. THE SINGER HAS A TEN FOOT MOHAWK. 

I got two very limited vinyl reissues of both their full-lengths today, and they will seriously make you jump out of your skin with amazement. Rest in peace to Chelsea...

Black Sabbath The End tour setlist

"Black Sabbath"

"Fairies Wear Boots"

"After Forever"

"Into the Void"

"Snowblind"

"War Pigs"

"Behind the Wall of Sleep"

"N.I.B."

"Hand of Doom"

"Rat Salad"

Tommy Clufetos drum solo

"Iron Man"

"God Is Dead?"

"Under the Sun"/"Every Day Comes and Goes"

"Dirty Women"

"Paranoid"

"Children of the Grave"

• Like 1

I pretty much wrote the same on Facebook but this is my two cents on Anselmo and racism in metal. 

Back in maybe 2005? I went to see Superjoint Ritual, Morbid Angel, and Suffocation at a local club. At one point through the piss-poor Superjoint set (that band is just fucking atrocious) Uncle Phil stopped to say, and I quote:

"My band is the best band in the world and I'm the king of heavy metal!"

That's verbatim. 

What makes me so sad is that the metal community has to use someone as dumb as this thick motherfucker as an excuse to bring up the virulent racism in the community, as if it weren't there until Shithead decided to open his mouth. Like he's important, or has made any useful impact aside from bringing back Necrophagia and wearing Darkthrone shirts (who themselves have made dumb racist comments in the past). It makes me sick to think that something I love so much has so many stupid assholes as fans and artists involved.

• 2 weeks later...

Ahem, moving on...

This just came in the mail today for me on the blackest of wax.

To me, black metal (musically anyway) is about one thing alone: atmosphere. Fast, slow, whatever; if there isn't an all-encompassing and dark atmosphere about the tunes then it's less than worthless. The bands that represent this best tend to be from Eastern Europe (specifically the Czech Republic, f.e. Root, Master's Hammer) and from Greece. The Greek bands have always had their own peculiar style that you can't put your finger on. It's a little slower at times, a bit epic really. Rotting Christ, Varathron, Zemial, there are a few of these godheads out there, but for my money the best has always been Necromantia. This is their magnum opus. I dare you to find another band that creates such black magic out of four- and eight-stringed basses, keys, drums, and vocals. Oh, and saxophone... I almost forgot, they actually utilize sax to amazing effect. An evil triumph. 

EDIT: yeah there are six-string guitars but only solos and flamenco acoustic (!)

EDIT II: Just to take the piss out of what I wrote above, I really like it because it sounds like a black metal version of early/good Manowar, too. 

• 2 weeks later...

EDIT: I burned the whole EP and it's pretty damned good (of course). A bit slow and gloomy really, but not boring at all, really out-there with Mongrain's guitar playing. And they end on a Vod-ified cover of "Silver Machine" by Hawkwind which is a great tribute to Lemmy. Pick it up.

• 1 month later...

I've been listening to a lot of really, really varied music this week -- Magma, Wu-Tang (GZA on vinyl, Raekwon on CD), Grotesque, Carnage, Merle, Townes -- but this one just stepped up and kicked my ass this morning after I found it in the stacks after years of not hearing it. You can only go to Dave Lombardo to compare to the double-bass on this.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thee Motherload just came in the mail today, just in time to commemorate the 3 year anniversary of the passing of our beloved Jeff Hanneman (RIP). FIVE count'em FIVE LPs, a smorgasbord of death (oh and EHG which the average joe off the street might call death metal anyway)

NSFW album cover

• 3 weeks later...