DVDVR Message Board

Destiny

Big Fresh

I'm conflicted on whether or not to buy Patience and Time. It's not much better than the legendary sniper rifle I'm using now, but the ability to go invisible when looking down your sights is enticing.

Was considering renting this for a few days. What are the general opinions on it?

Dont know how much you'd get out of a few days to be honest, I really think you need to play it for much longer. You could finish the story in a day or two but that's not the fun of the game to me.

Was considering renting this for a few days. What are the general opinions on it?

It's no fun unless you like playing the same missions over and over and over again. Or you like PvP. You could probably complete the story in a weekend, and if you love it so much you want to do it again but slightly harder (or impossibly harder), buy the game.

From today's update

Q. Hey, Bungie. I saw the marketing stuff for The Dark Below. Can you please tell me what I get for my purchase?

Sure! Here’s a version for those of you who don’t like to read things that are too long. The Dark Below contains the following:

3 Story missions featuring new enemies and encounters in the Cosmodrome and Moon

Tower Character and Vendor, Eris, featuring new Quests, Bounties, and rewards

Exclusive Legendary Weapons and Armor

New Exotic Weapons

“Will of Crota” Strike

“Crota’s End” Raid

3 Crucible Maps: Pantheon, Skyshock, and The Cauldron

Maximum Light Level increase to 32

There will also be tweaks to activity playlists (e.g. a new Crucible playlist featuring new maps). We’ll detail those out in full just as soon as we put the finishing touches on them.

Right now, the Dev Team is preparing some notes to cover exactly how Weapons and Armor will be updated and upgraded alongside The Dark Below. We plan to publish those notes in the coming weeks.

Q. Do I get anything if I don’t purchase The Dark Below?

Yep. There will be some updates and alterations that every player will be able to enjoy.

All players will also benefit from these updates to the Destiny player experience:

Some new Weapons and Armor

New Daily Bounties

Five additional Bounty slots

Q. What else can you tell me about The Dark Below? Who is Eris? What are Quests?

The Dark Below is themed around The Hive summoning their dark god, Crota. Without spoiling the details, Crota’s summoning is a multifaceted ritual that has implications for Story missions, Quests, the “Will of Crota” Strike, and the “Crota’s End” Raid.

The story missions will take you into untapped spaces with brand new encounters. There’s new music, custom effects, and some serious challenges to undertake. The Strike and Raid will also feature beautiful new spaces and difficult new engagements to overcome for you and your Fireteam.

The storyline of the Dark Below kicks off with the return of Eris to the Tower, bearing a grim warning about the rise of Crota. Eris is a new character that appears in the Tower to serve as your guide. She has her own story to tell, and serves as the primary narrator for the Story missions. She offers her own reputation stream, unique weapon and armor rewards, as well as other item rewards for Guardians who earn her favor.

She also offers new Bounties and Quests. Some of her Bounties will be available whether you purchase The Dark Below or not.

Quests are a new storytelling mechanism that we're using in the Dark Below. They are multistage tasks that culminate in a reward, similar to the Exotic Bounties you may have experienced. Unlike Exotic Bounties, the Quests in the Dark Below can be completed by players who are solely focused on the cooperative story content of The Dark Below.

For example, one Quest creates a continuous chain of multiple tasks that culminates in the “Will of Crota” Strike. Another may simply ask you to return to Earth to take down the surging Hive threat.

This new way of storytelling in Destiny is a bit experimental in nature. We’ve seen players spending a lot of time in the Tower, and we’ve heard loud and clear that players would like more unique gear and additional Bounties. Eris is one part storyteller, one part Tower Vendor, and tens parts creepy.

Q. And Exotics?!

We promised to make all of your Exotics worth the price of ownership, and you should expect to hear more about how they’ll continue to be prized possessions in the short term future. Stay tuned!

Got my Warlock up to Level 20 and immediately shot to 25 since I had two pieces of Legendary and a piece of exotic armor to put on (I actually had two exotics so one of them will get broken down)

My character still sucks because my weapons still suck. Oh well

This is why I know I can't do VoG - my weapons just can't do the damage necessary

Weapons don't matter as much as level. First time I did the raid I used a blue auto rifle.

I know and you keep saying that but it is tough to think differently when you are just doing the Weekly on 26 (I am like 28 1/2) and are getting wrecked constantly

That might be because of fucking void burn but still

P&T is regarded as a good sniper rifle.  Not the best in the game from what I've read but good.  I got it only because I didn't have a legendary/exotic weapon with arc damage so it fit a need for me.  If I already had a legendary sniper that did arc, I probably would have skipped it. 

I know and you keep saying that but it is tough to think differently when you are just doing the Weekly on 26 (I am like 28 1/2) and are getting wrecked constantly

That might be because of fucking void burn but still

I know what you mean.  Even at 26 you have to play cautious because they can still hurt you but the damage you do to them should be significant.  Standard level 26 or 28 enemies like Acolytes/Dregs are 2 shots from my primary hand cannon and that was the case before I maxed it out.  But yeah, they can still fuck you up.  I was playing Vanguard Tiger strikes this morning on the Phogoth one and was aiming down my sights with the hand cannon and taking out Acolytes and could tell something was hitting me but kept shooting the Acolytes and before I knew it I was dead.  I counted three hits.  When I died I saw one of the knights with the sword standing over me.  So just three hits from that guy took me out and he was level 24.  

But you are right that it makes a difference when you level up your weapons as well, I've just felt more of a jump from going up in light level than weapon damage.  That said, my maxed out Icebreaker does 2500+ damage with a precision shot.  

I don't have any exotic weapons but I'm thinking about saving my strange coins in hopes there will be a weapon that really jumps at me next week, as opposed to getting P&T. Undecided though. Although I'd love an exotic primary (hand cannon or scout rifle) or a fusion rifle.

My favorite gun whether exotic or legendary is icebreaker. It's a game changer. The infinite magazine gives you a much easier opportunity to potentially solo difficult strikes without having to worry about ammo.

If it's available again from Xur, you should definitely get it.

Yeah, I'd like to have that. I only had 1 strange coin when it was on sale. But that was right when I was still learning how to play this.

I really want to complete a raid also. My group of frends and I always get up to Aetheon, but we usually have 1 or 2 guys who are either high or just a bit incompetent and mess things up for us. I had 15 oracle kills during that portion at one point, which goes to show that some of them aren't super focused when playing. Shouldn't have that many on my own.

Fired this up for the first time in almost two weeks. Played some Crucible to get enough Clash matches to select a bounty. . .wasn't awful, wasn't great.

Then went to Venus to try to do a combo "Complete 6 Patrol missions/get 9000 experience without dying" mission. Got the first one with no problem. . .racked up about 8,000 on the other one before I was firing on some Goblins and the next thing I knew there was a Praetorian about three feet behind me. So that was fun.

Oh, and I've just now figured out what all this Future War Cult/Dead Orbit/New Monarchy stuff you guys are talking about means. That's probably a pretty good reflection of my recent commitment to Destiny.

Grr... I hate bounties that require buying something from Xur

I got the one for machine gun and after spending 30 fucking minutes opening up chests on Mars to complete Step #1 - I realized that Xur is fucking gone so I have to wait to Friday to complete Step #2

Bad Juju will go into my vault until it gets buffed but Invective will probably be used whenever I go into Crucible.  Most people like it from what I read, especially full auto mode.  My other choice was Thorn and I don't give a damn about a hand cannon that holds 6 rounds. 

Back to the raid last night- It was the quickest I've done it.  Five of us had done it together before and the other is a friend who had done it quite a few times, just not with us.  Got into the vault with a quickness, defended the confluxes easily and never got marked for negation, only missed one oracle(that stupid front middle left one), and then pushed the templar off the ledge so we could get the fifth chest.  The gatekeeper round couldn't have gone much quicker.  We wiped on the first try because the outside people didn't realize how quickly somoene needed to go to the center to defend the conflux and on the next attempt it was flawless.  I think we wiped on Atheon thrice before taking him out.  We just had one guy who was really uncomfortable when teleported and picked up the relic once "on accident" and that didn't work out too well.  We had four guys who were good at using the relic and it worked out perfectly.   

I think I'm going to try to find an experienced group doing the raid on hard mode to see if I can tag along and try to not fuck up too bad.  One thing I was told last night that I didn't realize- there are no revives on hard mode.  That sounds difficult. 

Yeah - I am trying out Bad Juju and it seems that my legendary primary weapons are better than it.

Of course - I also realized that I have no legendary secondary weapons so if I start using an exotic primary - I drop all the way to blue.