DVDVR Message Board

House of Cards

Fat Spanish Waiter

Okay, I decided to watch one episode. And that episode began with TEN MINUTES on fucking Stamper's recovery. Fucking STAMPER. Who gives a ten-minute shit about that guy?

I sure hope they find that hooker they should've killed ages ago!

Like anyone gives a shit.

If it was Zoe rising from the grave, that would be something worth spoiler tagging. As is, it's just a character nobody cared about who we thought died has returned so we can continue not caring some more.

I am four episodes into this season,, and I am enjoying things up until this point. I think I was a little worried about how they'd handle frank without the Senate battles or him fighting battles as the VP.

The ending with the Marble (or whatever it was made of) Jesus toppling and shattering at the alter felt like a bit of on the nose foreshadowing, but I guess it'll be interesting to see how it plays. What's with anti-hero shows needing a church scene?"

The schmaltz factor on this season is damn near Sharknado-like. It's like they craft entire episodes around what Frank would say to the camera and it really comes off as pandering. That's not to say it's not a totally engrossing show. It totally is. My problem is that the money with Underwood was in his chase for the throne. Him keeping it doesn't seem as exciting because even the things he wants aren't being given any type of foundation other than he wants them to happen. Stamper is totally dying by season's end, though. If that isn't etched in stone, I don't know what is.

I'm actually quite enjoying the thing with 'America Works'. It's an amusing policy initiative, which contrasts slightly with Urquhart's equivalent policy of compulsory national service for the young in its ultra-Keynesianism but nonetheless has a cold-bloodedness about it of which the original would approve of. Urquhart frequently gave his version of the 'you need a bad guy like me' speech, and he meant it; Underwood doesn't try to sell that to the audience but he's trying instead to offer that argument to the electorate. Urquhart wanted to leave his mark, but he really wanted to take the country in a certain direction. He also had fun. Underwood has no other motivation other than self-aggrandisement, and from what I've seen there's little evidence of him having much fun. The show is strong enough to hold my attention, but I think they're trying to make it as hard to empathise with the Underwoods as possible - I think they really don't want them to be anti-heroes.

SOME (PROBABLY MINOR) SPOILERS AHEAD!

Finished my binge watch of season 3 last night. Hmmm....where to start? As in the past two seasons, production values, casting, and the overall acting are top-notch. They clearly spend a fortune making House of Cards and it shows. That said...

Season 3 is a clear drop from seasons 1 & 2. They spend way too much time on stuff people simply won't care about. Was there some huge public outcry for more screen time to be given to the Doug Stamper/hacker/hooker storyline? There must have been because he was on my TV ALL THE FREAKING TIME. Look, now he's doing PT. Now he's in a diner with the hacker. Now the hacker's sitting at his FBI desk. Now Stamper's talking to Underwood's rival. And ON AND ON AND ON AND ON. Good grief. By the same token, we got way too much stuff from Claire Underwood. Normally that's a good thing. Robin Wright is super-hot, always has been, and she has a terrific presence. But they've messed with Claire, making her weak, giving her a "look how serious and STERN I am with my dark hair that doesn't work at all" hairdo, and shoving her into a job (Ambassador) that's not a good fit. And I know a lot of that was to setup the final scene in the finale but it still doesn't work.

So where does this all lead us? It leads us to too little Frank Underwood. He's the sun around which the rest of the show orbits and there's just enough of him here. The intrigue with Frank & Petrov is good, the stuff with his cabinet and America Works is good, and so on. There's just not enough of it. No, instead we get stuff like Frank and his writer getting all "close" and the writer throwing out a "hey, we can hook up" subtle invitation. That stuff doesn't make any sense. Do we really think Frank would ever let his guard down enough to some writer to let him get in that close? No.

Anyway, I've said enough. Bottom line: This is still a really good show with top-notch production values and a first-rate cast. The storylines got off track this season but I suspect we'll be back closer to normal when season 4 rolls around. The show overall is a 9/10 but this season was more like 7/10.

Man, the nods to Breaking Bad in that final episode are nice.

They gotta end it next year, right?

Think of it this way, each season has 13 episodes,  13 times 4 equals 52.

So, I'd say the money is good on next year being the final season.

Also... I'd love to speculate on how a President going through a divorce would affect him.  For as far as we have advanced as a society, we've only had one divorcee as President  (Reagan). 

And even in Reagan's case, he was married when elected. And a LOT of people didn't even realize he'd been divorced, since he & Nancy had been married for 28 years before the election. Helps that Jane Wyman (first wife) remained friends with Ronnie until his death so she wasn't out there trashing him like a Claire Underwood might.

I still don't know how I feel about the whole Claire arc this season, seemed to contradict her behavior from past seasons.

Something feels off, I dunno.

I agree. She went from cutthroat, heartless, and ambitious to weak, ineffectual and needy.

I still don't know how I feel about the whole Claire arc this season, seemed to contradict her behavior from past seasons.

I agree. She went from cutthroat, heartless, and ambitious to weak, ineffectual and needy.

Maybe she can be Michael P.S. Hayes when he went to Dallas and was a face at first.  Then he turned on Kerry Von Erich and was the super-heel.  I do know that Frank was right about being selfish. She screwed him over in season 1 to get her stupid water stuff over the border, she screwed him (and peace) in Russia and now,

I guess she's gonna screw him out of the White House.

The press conference scene was great...but it was just too absurd, even by this show's standards.

It's interesting: So many TV shows now are about a character who starts off good and becomes worse and more corrupted over time (Breaking Bad, The Good Wife.)

From what I've seen so far, the opposite is happening to Claire. She's a woman who starts off thinking she's an ice cold Lady Macbeth-type...but she's discovering she has far more humanity and morals than she thought she did. 

It's interesting to look at some of Claire's past, most villainous actions (like telling her assistant she was willing to see her unborn child "wither and die") and how cartoonishly bad they actually are.

This isn't a woman who is evil. It's a woman (mostly) pretending to be evil and she's been with Frank long enough to know what to do and say. But she can't quite pull it off anymore. Season 3 is about the mask slipping. And she gets disgusted with her husband because, you know, unlike her, there really isn't anything resembling a good person underneath it all.

That's all good and dandy and may be what they were planning all along but the execution was poor at best imo.

I never felt there was a buildup of disgust from Claire and what happened this season was the straw that broke the camel's back, on the contrary she's been letting go of her humanity more and more each season and then does the sudden 180.

Still, I dunno.

This isn't a woman who is evil. It's a woman (mostly) pretending to be evil and she's been with Frank long enough to know what to do and say. But she can't quite pull it off anymore. Season 3 is about the mask slipping. And she gets disgusted with her husband because, you know, unlike her, there really isn't anything resembling a good person underneath it all.

I don't know, jacking off that Secret Service guy that was dying of cancer was pretty damn evil to me.

• 11 months later...