DVDVR Message Board

House of Cards

Fat Spanish Waiter

FUCK YEAH 2nd SEASON! FUCK YEAH FUTURE 3rd!

House of Cards and Game of Thrones are literally the only TV Shows I watch. And I'd probably only watch House of Cards if I didn't have a wife who read all those infernal books.

FUCK YEAH 2nd SEASON! FUCK YEAH FUTURE 3rd!

House of Cards and Game of Thrones are literally the only TV Shows I watch. And I'd probably only watch House of Cards if I didn't have a wife who read all those infernal books.

Expand your range, bro!

But yeah, I'm super pumped for this even though I will be out of episodes by the 16th.

Eye roll inducing? How?

Just that it's implausible.  I enjoy it and I think the writing is highly entertaining, it's just completely removed from reality.  Going into the show I didn't realize that.  Once I saw it was less "high stakes political drama" and more "morality play with a D.C. background" I got on board.  That said there are moments that strain credibility so much it takes me out of the story a bit.  Still a fantastic show.

I think it's highly overrated, and the thing I liked most about the first season is dead, but it's very watchable, so I'm sure I'll be watching next week.

Yeah, the bolded part cannot be overstated. Spacey (& Wright) were aces but Russo - and the actor playing him - was such a compelling character it's going to be hard to replace him when none of the secondary characters outside Stamper are all that interesting.

As for the "eye rolling inducing" comment, I wouldn't say that myself but the show definitely has a lot of soap opera-ish tendencies. Don't get me wrong, it's a great show but it's also way over the top. If I posted in the TV thread about watching a show where "a rich and powerful man is busy manipulating half a dozen people while banging a reporter half his age despite being a closeted homosexual while his ice bitch wife is actually a reformed hippie who briefly runs off to have an affair with her artiste ex," I dare say people could easily think I was describing "Dynasty" or something.

• Like 1

It took me almost six months to watch the first season. It was a hard slog but I finally got through it. I'll watch the second season because I believe in second chances.

Of all the new Netflix series that launched last year, I sailed through Orange Is The New Black, Lilyhammer and I Was An Angsty Teenage Werewoof. I still have yet to finish Derek and Arrested Development.

I would rather gouge out one of my eyes than watch Derek.

Don't let Ricky Gervais see you say that.  He'll remind you that kindness is magic and then call you a c word and mock any and all spiritual belief and mock you for not being as rich as he is.  BUT KINDNESS IS MAGIC!  

Episode 1 gets the bullshit out of the way.  Its telling you "do not look for dangling plotlines from the previous season because we ain't got time to waste".

Frank not be afraid to do his own dirty work again in dealing with Zoe... sweet crap I really wasn't expecting that! Just because Frank Underwood isn't POTUS doesn't mean he isn't at the top of the Food Chain!

James

Claire's interview in episode 4 is absolutely riveting. Although I'm pretty sure there would be a national meltdown if that happened in real life. 

Also, the journalists on this show are pretty much of the level of stupidity of the FBI agents on The Following:

What the hell was Zoe thinking meeting a guy she suspected of murder on a frigging train platform? Lucas isn't exactly covering his tracks either, even though he knows full well she was murdered.

Playing devil's advocate, she probably thought that a meeting in a relatively public setting would be safer than where Russo met his demise. But she let herself get lulled into a false sense of security. That's what Francis do.

Wait, did anyone actually care about that character? It was a good shock moment, but ultimately...whatever. And the idea of

Frank doing it himself, especially in that manner

is just stupid on so many levels.

I'm hoping the last shot of the cufflinks is maybe a sign that the show is going to stop taking its self so seriously and embrace its inherent absurdity. But I sense I'm likely wrong. Willimon probably thought that was the most clever thing he's ever written. Probably treated himself to some fine, slow-bled pork afterwards.

This might be the dumbest show to ever think it was the smartest show.

I'm watching the UK House of Cards before the Netflix version. IT IS SO GREAT. Francis Urquhart is such a magnificent bastard. But it's great because he realizes how ridiculous the game of politics is and at the same time is it's ultimate puppet-master. He's somehow above the game but revels in it at once. I'm going to sound pretentious as all get-out in this. But in grad school I had to read Goethe's Faust. And what I loved about that is that Goethe's devil was fun and silly -- evil, yes, but not a dark, brooding evil. Francis exactly that. I enjoy watching him do bad things to people.

I am not one of those "Everything they do in the UK first is so much better than..." people at all. I love the US Office so much (despite it's many flaws) and am really past the original, for instance.