DVDVR Message Board

House of Cards

Fat Spanish Waiter

Definitely a return to form to some degree but not up to the level of the first season. I'm not crazy about the storyline but it's all so well executed and acted that I don't care. Bring on season 5!

I really enjoyed the 13-hour trailer that Netflix just put out for Season 5.

It was definitely a step up from season 3, but I was a little underwhelmed by the fact that they set the table with 3-4 major story developments and not one of them was resolved. Who is their show runner, Andy Reid?

• Like 2

Oh,  I was positive at the end that:

Stamper was going to kill the widow.

Thank god I was wrong. 

And then 

both of them breaking the 4th wall for the first time ever.

That fucking ruled. 

For me, this felt like two seasons. Or one season made by two different people. First half, we got the seemingly endless dream sequences and fantasy scenes (yay, the Claire stabs Frank scene AGAIN). Second half, they got rid of that stuff and it improved as a result.

Claire's calm, nonchalant stare was, eh, deeply horrifying in its own way.

When something is a twist...but it sort of isn't it? I mean, you knew that shit
was coming all along. Thought it's still horrible when it does. But, of course, she knew. All along.  

• Like 1

I know they're horrible, horrible people and I know Hammerschmidt is one of the true good guys in this show.  

However, I look forward to him dying horrifically at Stamper's hands next season. 

I'm 3 episodes into this season, and I thought Frank's State of the Union Address was one of the great heel moves of all time.

This is such a weird show because I think Spacey's performance alone is what makes this thing, and it's fun hearing the varying degrees to which he uses the accent.

So, because I kinda fell off midway through season 3 because the Stamper shit was boring, I should finish that up and get to Season 4 is what I'm gathering, right?

I'm 3 episodes into this season, and I thought Frank's State of the Union Address was one of the great heel moves of all time.

That was just beautiful. It was so good that even Claire appreciated its awesomeness.

I sort of thought the point of the end was that, no matter how bad or vicious ISIS or (ICO) try to be, they can't compete with Frank. And politicians like him.

They just can't. 

This isn't a moral judgement. This isn't a political one.

But, yeah. 

You know, my initial thoughts were that Claire as VP was too absurd for words. Even by House of Cards standards. Just a silly storyline.

But, after thinking about it: Well, Eva Peron's husband was apparently going to do the exact same thing right before she died. Stranger things have happened, I suppose. 

Maybe that's one of the cool things about this show: You roll your eyes and think "Well, that shit could never happen!" But, yeah, maybe it can. 

That the (sane, smart, rational) characters still can't quite buy that Frank has murdered people (even though he obviously has) because "But isn't that implausible and crazy?! and could never happen in real-life?" says a lot.   

IMO, Donald Trump hangs over this season, one way or another. In hindsight. 

Not that he's killed anyone.  And I doubt the writers thought about him when they were scripting the season.

But, it's like, yeah: The craziness is happening now.  Normality is out the window. Anything goes.

Eh, the end was a desperate move by a desperate man. He has no more cards to play.

Hammer coming down in Season 5. Way better season this time around. Doug Stamper is a terrible human being. In some ways, moreso than Frank.

He's banging the widow of the guy he helped kill by manipulating the organ donor list. Dude is straight-up vile.

At some point, House of Cards stopped being about Frank. Yeah, the man is a total evil, sociopathic shit.

That's just who he is. There's no hope. There probably never was.

Then it started being about Claire and all the other characters who aren't total evil, sociopathic shits...but are still going along with him anyway.  

I know they're horrible, horrible people and I know Hammerschmidt is one of the true good guys in this show.  

However, I look forward to him dying horrifically at Stamper's hands next season. 

That is the worst possible option. You're going to kill him to do what? Lend more credence to what he just put out? Make more of a trail to poorly cover up?

If you're going to kill someone like that, the objective would be to kill him BEFORE he ever puts together any tangible evidence or even credible suspicion. Their only play is to discredit him and the Herald like Frank was trying to do. In addition, try to get people recanting their story. If you kill him, he becomes a martyr and then people begin to look at the Underwoods even harder.

Anyway, I think season 5 is going to be Frank beating Conway by the thinnest of margins only to face impeachment like Walker and have to resign in an embarrassing manner. Either that or Frank and Claire's lives turn into the last 45 minutes of Downfall. I have a feeling that Remy, Walker, and Sharp were just the beginning. Folks like Tusk and Durant are going to fold like origami. The seeds have been planted for Yates to turn on them. Leann too. It's going to be hilarious when they realize self-preservation goes both ways.

I think it ends up with VP Claire being OK with President Francis dying so she can be president. Not sure if she conspires to kill him or merely doesn't prevent it from happening, but that's how I think it'll end.