DVDVR Message Board

24...getting a few episodes coming in May

misanthrope304

• 1 month later...

I know 24-logic is its own kind of comic book logic.

I just find the "Jack out of hiding" premise here to be a bit far fetched. He's in hiding from the CIA, and he's in London?

I would think if you're an ex-government agent on the run that you would choose somewhere other than our nation's largest ally. 

The writing was absurd, many of the characters were cartoons and it never made sense at all after season 1, but it's not really TV without Kiefer Sutherlund running about yelling "TELL ME WHERE THE BALM IS! I WANT TO KNOW WHERE THE BALM IS!" and torturing people for as minor information as where the bathroom is.

If you were really trying to hide it would be much more believable if he was off in some 3rd world country totally off of the grid.

If he was in a friendly nation, I think it'd be more believable if he were on the Mexican side acting as a mysterious border agent... trying to stop gun running and drug cartels one by one.

I mean I know we sort of branched into that territory in season three.

The first hour had some of the problems inherent to late-era 24, with a lot of time being spent dumping exposition to introduce all the new characters, but Jack's sub-dermal microchip-aided escape was fun, completely preposterous in the best way. And the second hour was about as perfectly executed a bit of TV action as you'll find, with all the players making wrong assumptions and colliding in messy ways. 24 at its best.

We'll see if they have an easier time sustaining that for 10 more episodes rather than 22.

Only thing I really didn't like was the new look for Chloe. Maybe they'll have a good explanation later, but as of now, I have a hard time seeing how the Chloe from the first 8 seasons turned into this.

The first hour had some of the problems inherent to late-era 24, with a lot of time being spent dumping exposition to introduce all the new characters, but Jack's sub-dermal microchip-aided escape was fun, completely preposterous in the best way. And the second hour was about as perfectly executed a bit of TV action as you'll find, with all the players making wrong assumptions and colliding in messy ways. 24 at its best.

We'll see if they have an easier time sustaining that for 10 more episodes rather than 22.

Only thing I really didn't like was the new look for Chloe. Maybe they'll have a good explanation later, but as of now, I have a hard time seeing how the Chloe from the first 8 seasons turned into this.

Maybe Morris got wiped out by a drone. He *cannot* like that look on her.

Chloe's meant to be like a female version of Ed Snowden in this one. She's on the run for exposing secrets, IIRC.

More like Lisbeth Salander.

She reminds me a lot of Lisbeth but the point ./ counterpoint of the WikiLeaks debate & the Snowden affair is a constant talking point whenever Chloe and Jack bicker about the social contract.

I am totally digging the cast choices.  Colin mother fucking Salmon, Yvonne Strahovski (they shoulda pulled the trigger on making her character in 24 a brunette like Miranda Lawson)....

... MICHAEL WINCOTT PLAYING A GOOD GUY~??

Everyone except Jack and Chloe will turn before the season's over.

My question is how many episodes with Benjamin Bratt last before he's stabbed in the face by his wife/girlfriend?

If they really wanted to have surprise twists, Chloe would turn and Wincott and the Serb would remain a good guy.

As it stands right now, I fully expect Wincott to be behind the plot somehow even though Chloe should be part of the villain solution.  She can't find the drone hacker because she's the fucking drone hacker.

If they really wanted to have surprise twists, Chloe would turn and Wincott and the Serb would remain a good guy.

As it stands right now, I fully expect Wincott to be behind the plot somehow even though Chloe should be part of the villain solution.  She can't find the drone hacker because she's the fucking drone hacker.

Jack having to put a bullet in Chloe's head would be one of the more heartbreaking moments in t.v. history.

It would also continue the 24 theme of the Jack Bauer curse.

Chloe has the Abby Sciuto from NCIS thing viewer appeal going on.  There is no way she will end up being the villain and end up eating a bullet from Jack, unless they gave script writing duties for that ep to George RR Martin.

Enraged fans would march on Fox like torch-wielding villagers from a Frankenstein movie.

Which sucks because that would be a great swerve and wonderfully Cold War old school..

• Like 1

Chloe has the Abby Sciuto from NCIS thing viewer appeal going on.  There is no way she will end up being the villain and end up eating a bullet from Jack, unless they gave script writing duties for that ep to George RR Martin.

Enraged fans would march on Fox like torch-wielding villagers from a Frankenstein movie.

Which sucks because that would be a great swerve and wonderfully Cold War old school..

It's interesting because it would be one of those "24" things that doesn't fit with the rest of the series, but 24 has rarely been consistent.

I still think Chloe watching Edgar die is one of the more moving pieces of television ever. It was one of those rare two hour fox mid-season specials that delivered.

24 also has one of the more satisfying moments in TV history when Jack kills Nina. I would argue it's more satisfying tha something that happened a couple of weeks ago on a certain popular Sunday T.V. show.

Viewers love the angry hacker girl thing that Chloe has going on but she's got motive in her resentment of the government and she's got the technical ability.

I was kinda hoping that Chloe would turn out to be the drone hacker, but everything ran to script.

There is not enough love in this thread for Catelyn Stark, international terrorist, or her hot daughter from that Starz miniseries, The White Queen..

We've never learned someone is dead via a conversation, have we? Morris and Prescott aren't dead. Chloe is lying and just batshit insane.

Or so I hope. Man, this season is...well, it's classic 24, that's for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm never going to get tired of the "we have their location" trope on 24...nearly every time, it's either an ambush or the location is empty. This time, it was both...empty mansion PLUS a drone strike? Dear god.

I have not watched last night's, but I caught up on the other episodes I had missed up to that point over the weekend.

I really am enjoying this season of 24 thus far.

You can tell the 12 hour format has energized them, so they are not having to tread water as much and it has added an urgency to these last few episodes.

This shit is getting good.  Michael Wincott will heel turn any day now. 

Catelyn Stark turned Jihad Jane continues to be one of the best villains on television.

Yeah it was sort of obvious Bratt was probably the real traitor. I'm kind of wondering if he will even be caught this season and if what he is involved in isn't just a hook for the next season, presuming this one is successful.

So happy I'm not the only one enjoying crazy villainess Catelyn Stark  She fits the villain role so much better.