DVDVR Message Board

WWE Network pontificating

Fat Spanish Waiter

Finally made the call today. Instead of getting the network, we adopted a cat. The 20 month old is weirdly happier with this choice.

Finally someone stepped up to take care of this.

ernest_miller.jpg

Bless you heart, man.

I wish I could have afforded a Gracie. They are smaller and require less food.

Is there going to be a "search by wrestler" option on the network? Because that would be amazing.

WWE Network Most Searched For Terms: Monday, February 23, 2014:

1) Shango, Papa

2) Schango

3) +Papa + Shango

4) "Papa sango"

5) "Papa Shango"

6) "titties"

7) Henry, Hand

8) miz +concussion

9) "everything before there was a miz"

10) quad tears +funniest

11) Man, Boogie

12) Man, Boogie +"when coming back"

• Like 3

There is something kind of brilliant in the WM part.  One of the big "problems" with WWE selling itself is that it seems like there are a lot of people who only ever ordered WM, so they were ONLY ever going to get the $70 or whatever out of them for the year.

Now they'll still get that $70 from those people for their "I'll just get this for mania" six months.  Plus, once they get used to all those extra "free" PPVs, a pretty good chunk of them will likely just keep the sub. over the year.  So now instead of getting $70 from super casual fans who only paid attention once a year, they'll get $120 out of them while maybe converting them to slightly more than super casual fans who keep up with the storylines all year long.

Worst case scenario for those extra, what is it million or 750,000 Mania-only people is that they make exactly the same amount of money from them.  Best case is that they nearly double that from those people and make them more invested fans generally.

Honestly, I think it'll be even better simply because of the other facts (and why WWE being more expensive, for WWE alone, than Netflix or Hulu are for everything is the right price): PPVs are too expensive, as you said. WWE PPV prices needed to drop by half for a long time. 

Because PPVs are too expensive, most fans- even the ones who DID care, would only buy Wrestlemania and MAYBE their birthmonth PPV/their kids' birthday PPV as a gift for the year. 

Put those together- it's about $120- $10 a month.

Now, consider that Wrestlemania's doing about 1.2 million buys anyways (a little more or little less), but most non-Mania PPVs get about 100,000 buys. There's obvious overlap, but it's close enough to make a strong theory behind it that people are only buying Mania and the PPV of their kids' birth month.

Therefore, it's not just the Mania-only people who'll get that, but you can argue pretty much every WWE fan could buy it and make it really work.

I don't see how this model could not work. The Network is worth a subscription based on the reduced cost of PPV events alone, and on top of that I get virtually every wrestling PPV ever, classic matches and NXT. Why would any fan who has the means not get the Network?

You are underestimating how truly awful a lot of "fans" are. This will not be enough to make them happy. I could see if they have a lot of the classic stuff already but the PPVs alone should be enough.. I mean, if you are even a tiny bit interested in the present era? $9.99 can be found in your couch.

The reasons I won't get the network are:

1) I already have the bulk of it and the old stuff I really want isn't on there and is likely to never be on there.

2) I think it is BS to have to put in a credit card number for a free preview, so I'm not going to be doing that. I also think it is totally wrong of them to automatically renew your account after 6 months.

3) I don't like that stuff is likely to be added and removed from the network. Why would I want to basically rent stuff when I know how to find a free version that I can keep forever?

4) Despite paying a big chunk of change every month, my connection sucks and I don't have a prayer of watching anything above 480p.