DVDVR Message Board

A SAINTS ROW THREAD

RIPPA

Sooooo... how does the NEW SAINTS ROW IV compare in Hilarity and madness(IINCUDING HAVING LUCHADORES and HULK HOGAN's VOICE)  of Saints Row III?!?!?! In all honesty I bought the game for UBER cheap and played it, sadly I didn't get every far into the game but the parts I'd played were ALOT OF FUN! A SANDBOX game with your character running around with grotesquely large-which did their job well. -Punh a dude into OBLIVION. The guns shiz were fabulous.Does it still have the same feel> Hell, just explain some mo'......thanks in advance ya'll.DamnNearFonzie

If you like the over the top stuff in 3, you would like 4.  This was originally just supposed to be a DLC pack for 3, so the core elements haven't changed a whole lot.

You get super powers that let you do stuff like super sprint, run up the sides of buildings, glide, freeze/shock/burn people, use telekenesis, etc.  There are also more side missions/collectables and a better variety of them.  The world itself is still kind of bland design-wise, especially since it is night all of the time, but there's more to do in it, so it's a nice sandbox to play in.

Hulk Hogan isn't in the game AFAIK (Killbane makes an appearance but it's silent) but there is a cameo from another wrestler who was big in the 80s.

The weapons from 3 are back, and there are some new alien ones that are pretty cool, as well as stuff like the America gun which is a chaingun/flamethrower/rocket launcher combo and the Dubstep gun, which makes enemies dance themselves to death.  You can also customize the skins like making them golden guns.

There are more character customization options.  You can have your character voiced by Nolan North and there are new clothing options like a Boba Fett suit.

So far I am enjoying the game more than 3, but I still prefer part 2.

Took me until yesterday to realize why the radio felt like something was missing; no ads.  Makes sense in context, but still disappointing.

I haven't listened to the radio much.  I don't like having music play when I am outside of a vehicle in open world games.  Also not too much of the radio appeals to me.  The classical station is okay and there are are few songs on The Mix that I like, but generally reggae, rap, and electronica bores me.  I miss The Blood.

After one listen-through of Christopher Daniels calling himself "the taste-maker" on GenX, I was pretty well done with radio. The soundtrack's just not as good as 3 was, although "Don't Want To Miss A Thing" when you're on the missile was hilarious.

Sooooo... how does the NEW SAINTS ROW IV compare in Hilarity and madness(IINCUDING HAVING LUCHADORES and HULK HOGAN's VOICE)  of Saints Row III?!?!?! In all honesty I bought the game for UBER cheap and played it, sadly I didn't get every far into the game but the parts I'd played were ALOT OF FUN! A SANDBOX game with your character running around with grotesquely large-which did their job well. -Punh a dude into OBLIVION. The guns shiz were fabulous.Does it still have the same feel> Hell, just explain some mo'......thanks in advance ya'll.DamnNearFonzie

Dude, you'll love it

Man, I'm nearing the end but the game is glitching out on me saying I'm missing DLC I never had and freezing when I try to get my dildo bat Doc Manhattan style. A bunch of guns are coming up as the automatic rifle in weapons cache, too. Strange. It's a really fun game but I can't help feeling I enjoyed 3 more. This feels like a large DLC.

Well, it was originally supposed to be DLC, piggybacking on the Saints in Space mission in 3.  A year is an extremely quick turnaround for an open world game, even one like this that reuses a lot of assets, so there probably are a few bugs/glitches in it.

But I saw on the NeoGaf thread that there was a patch released (can't remember if it was for PC or 360) that messed up the weapons, among other things.  The same thread also has a lot of PS3 users complaining about freezes but I haven't encountered anything besides small ones (like 3 seconds) when I try to start an activity while the game is auto saving.

I believe it was around the time Steam downloaded the patch that things went sideways. That's probably it.Sheeeeiiiiiiiiiit.

But, yeah, Keith fucking David is such a great touch. I can't hate on this game.

I've had a few freezes, both the small sort like Neil describes as well as freezes requiring restarts. It's not too terrible a problem since the autosave seems to happen pretty much all the time. Really, just get a data cluster and you'll prompt an autosave.

Yeah, I just hit my second freeze during the Keith David mission later in the game, and you have to do the whole thing over again. I do not want to have to do that a fourth time. Is there word on a potential fix to this?

Yeah, I just hit my second freeze during the Keith David mission later in the game, and you have to do the whole thing over again. I do not want to have to do that a fourth time. Is there word on a potential fix to this?

The Saints Row Twitter said they are working on something.  I would maybe just keep an eye on that for now.

Yep, the RPG and SMGs are my two weapons of choice.

The hardest version of Mind Over Matter is just disgusting when trying to get gold. I gave it a crack for about 30 minutes and the best I did was 10 seconds over the limit. The other activities aren't too bad, but I can see that one being a real pain in the ass.

Yep, the RPG and SMGs are my two weapons of choice.

The hardest version of Mind Over Matter is just disgusting when trying to get gold. I gave it a crack for about 30 minutes and the best I did was 10 seconds over the limit. The other activities aren't too bad, but I can see that one being a real pain in the ass.

Agreed. On like the last or second to last area you go to the location and it's in a largely empty alley. "Motherf-"