DVDVR Message Board

A SAINTS ROW THREAD

RIPPA

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 10:33 AM, Robert C said:

It's about damn time.  

Once I'm done with this, I will tackle Gears of War 3 and Borderlands 2 again so there will be future Better Late Than Never anger blogging from me in the Gaming forum.

• Keymaster mission is complete on my DudeShep.  He's up to the Finale missions now.
  • Went back to my FemSaint playthrough to catch her up with the story.  She has to romance King, Gat, and Pierce and complete their fetch it missions for my last crewmate related achievements.
  • It is nice to go back and slug through activities knowing that I can Gold medal them relatively easily.  TK Rift is a breeze now.  Only UFO Mayhem gives me pause thanks to the wobbly aircraft and my generally shitty pilot skills in all sandbox games.
  • Is the I Am Become Death achievement counter linked to single characters?  My counter is up to 250 on the FemSaint playthrough and I am pretty sure it was a lot higher on my DudeSaint.
  • I keep forgetting to taunt aliens before I murder them with my FemSaint.
  • I am also forgetting that she needs TK kills.  Fire Blast with the Exploding Foes perk activated is the most efficient means of mass murder in this game.
  • I am glad this is Saint's Row and not Watch Dogs.  Whenever I drive up my Notoriety on purpose to coax out a Warden, I always manage to accidentally wipe out the groups of civilians that start rave dancing whenever I break out the Dubstep Gun to get alien kills with that weapon.
  • She's all done with Bounce Rifle kills.  Now to deal with the horror of trying to get 100 Disintergration Rifle kills.

• My FemSaint playthrough is done with all of Pierce's bullshit including the loyalty mission and hey when she romanced him, Pierce said that he usually didn't swing that way but he'd reconsider this one time!  Why is it that Pierce's bisexuality is arguably the most tastefully handled thing in this game?
  • Asha;s stuff is also done including loyalty mission.  My DudeSaint has already knocked boots with her so that covers the Romance base.   Ick, why does the female version of Evil Me have a moustache and beard like male Evil Me?  Dealing with Asha's loyalty mission was a lot easier after messing around and buying / upgrading an RPG and a McManus sniper rifle.  I need to learn from my DudeSaint playthrough and fully upgrade a few Zin weapons to improve my firepower during missions in the Real World.
  • Killing aliens with Buff takes FOREVER~!  I may abandon the attempt to unlock I Am Become Death in favor of moving on to another game (Probably Borderlands 2 or another quick playthrough of Dungeon Siege 3 as Anjali or Katarina) if it doesn't unlock before I beat the game as a DudeSaint and as a FemSaint
  • Working on Ben King's stuff now.  Unlike Watch Dogs, I am happy that my OCD has forced me to get decent at the activities and discover that getting good is not that difficult.  The Drinking Game in Watch Dogs still infuriates me.
  • The only experimental weapon left to grind kills with on this playthrough is the Singularity Gun.
  • Remembering where audio logs are is a pain in the ass.  Thank God for smartphones with big screens.

• Ben King's romance is all about my FemSaint getting him to autograph her copy of Regicide?  Swerved...
  • Aww. Johnny and my FemSaint showed their tender feelings for each other during their romance scene.  It was actually very touching.  Too bad that was a romantic interlude involving two of the most prolific mass murderers in the known universe.
  • I AM BECOME DEATH~!  Freeze Buff + Rock Super Stomp + Spam the Hard difficulty Super Power Fight Club and stay in King of the Hill round for as long as you can = Win
  • Yeah, I am really good at just about all activities not named UFO Mayhem.
  • With my FemSaint finally done with working her way through the male crew members (AxB was wrong, IMO.  Knowing what know now, Pierce is the character where a guy - guy hook-up is more appropriate, not Matt Miller.  Matt is clearly jonesing for Asha Odekar), I can switch back to DudeSaint and beat this fucking game.... WHAT~? MY CONSOLE LOCKED UP~?  I took it as a sign to pack it in for the day since my mom wanted to watch The Martian on HBO OnDemand and Lucha Underground would be on later on.  Besides, I still have the Alien RPG to level up in my DudeSaint's arsenal and I have a feeling that getting my Zin weapons fully upgraded will pay off.

*sigh* The end has come.

• I am a complete idiot because I don't shop extensively enough at Let's Pretend or Leather & Lace or Nobody Loves Me.  I look all over for the perfect super hero outfit and the Sim Suit is right there at NLM.  I need to pay more attention to the photos in the Gallery or something.
  • I suddenly get stoked because it looks like this shit is going to be ME3 Citadel and I get to form parties with all of my SUPER HOMIES~! 
  • That feeling goes away quickly.  Part One of the Grand Finale consists of me blowing shit up while Asha and Matt Morgan drive a truck... Really?. Asha and Matt go super and hold the enemies at bay while CID and I go to insert the Key.  Noble, but I have a feeling that I will need a little help inside.
  • Yep.  Zinyak is throwing the fucking kitchen sink at me.  Lightning Buff is my best friend right now.  I love you so much, Lightning Buff.  Shit dies by the dozens and CID takes his sweet time dealing with the Key but the timer expires, we flip the switch, and we're good to go to Round 2.
  • The Zin Matrix is nearly fubar now.  Shaundi, Pierce, and I get a badass slow walking cutscene and then we go to work.  This is more of what I hoped for in Part One.  Super jumps and fire blasts and mass murder.  PAUL MAKES A RUN IN AND GIVES ME A THUMBS UP~!
  • What would a SR finale be without me and Johnny Gat killing dudes?  And Ben Mother Fucking King is there too!  Upgrading the Zin weapons pays off as my dual wield Alien SMGs obliterate everything in front of me and the hotter they get, the more damage they do.
  • I finally find power armor and I now know why The Touch by Stan Bush is on the soundtrack.
  • Hey, I am complete shit when it comes to freefalling in power armor!  It takes me three tries but I finally crack the code.
  • Hey, it is the boss battle with Zinyak!  WHERE IN THE FUCK DID HE GET A MECH~?  No matter, Buff is still my friend and now it is time for Fire.  Zinyak has not heard of Damage over Time, but the devs have.  I should've known this shit wasn't going to be simple.   Zinyak puts up a force field and fucking sends explosive CIDs after me and I have to catch them with my TK and throw them back at him.  It's like the devs figured out in advance out that TK was not going to be my go to super power.  So much for that bonus 10 point achievement for killing Zinyak in under five minutes.
  • The Saints come in like the cavalry and it is all over and it is now time to put Zinyak's ass away once and for all.
  • I knew this game was violent but I didn't expect to Sub Zero spine rip fatality this asshole and show the head to the rest of the Zin like I am Conan The Barbarian.  My dad has the unfortunate luck to watch in as my triumphant DudeSaint parades around with the grisly trophy and his priceless expression is a combination of I AM GOING TO BE SICK~! and WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU~?  This is the same man that saw combat in Nam during the fucking Tet and can watch surgical procedures on television while eating pizza, but somehow cartoon violence sets him off...He feels better when I tell him that I don't play these sorts of games around my kid.  That is a grey truth as I only shoo her out of the room during naughty sexual bits.  Like any decent, red-blooded American, I am perfectly fine with her watching me blow things up.   Usually she is the one picking out the best targets.  I am okay with the adult language so long as she doesn't repeat anything she hears around me or any grown-ups.  An important caveat because she is a 13 year old and has probably told someone to Fuck Off by now on the ride home on the big yellow school bus and yeah, some kids need to be told to Fuck Off..
  • RIP, Zinyak.  All hail DudeShep aka Riddick~!  I get the achievements for beating the game and beating the game with all loyalty missions done.
  • So the final cutscene is a fucking Soul Train line-up.  At least they're dancing to Montell Jordan...Matt Morgan tries to do the Kid & Play leg through the leg thing and fails miserably which is better than Gat who has NO RHYTHM AT ALL~!  If I were Daniel Dae Kim, I'd be pissed off.  Of all of the girls on the squad, I expected Shaundi to be the freak but KINZIE TWERKS HER ASS OFF~! and then gets embarrassed.  Teacup, girl!  KEITH DAVID IS A DANCING MACHINE WHAT THE FUCK~!!!!  Zinyak goes old school and breaks out the Worm, but it is like 20 or so years too late for that shit. Oh, well.  It never stopped Scotty 2 Hotty for using it as a finisher.
  • Rob Van Dam is the voice of Bobby?  Who the fuck is...  Oh... Bobby is the Genkibowl announcer that is supposed to sound like Hulk Hogan..
  • The folks at Volition are awesome and give Michael Duncan Clark a posthumous voice credit for Ben King.  Shit gets somber but the room does not get dusty.
  • I still have a hard time believing that Neil Patrick Harris came back to do voice work for DJVC.  How is it that he is cool enough to come back and Mila Kunis and Eliza Dushku (who could probably use a paycheck) are MIA?
  • Ronnie Yuan, Johnny Yong Bosh, and Will Yun Lee are not just random dudes yet they do random voices in a video game and have their names buried in the credits.
  • So, I'm now the ruler of the Zin Empire and we're going to bring back humanity by traveling through time and cloning the greatest personalities of the past... Starting with JANE AUSTEN~? WHO HAS BEEN MY NARRATOR THE ENTIRE TIME~!  I wonder what her estate would think about her virtual representation being naked and hibernating in a hyperbaric chamber?  I have seen portraits of her on the internet and I don't recall her being that cute.
  • Jesus, Enter The Dominatrix and How The Saints Saved Christmas both cost seven US dollars and the Season Pass is like fifteen?  Why doesn't Microsoft put the DLCs for the current Free Game With Gold on sale?  So much for those other DLC achievements...

NOW it is the end of an era.  I have platinumed SR: The Third.

• After ragequitting nearly three years to the day, I returned to my SR3 playthrough to finish up Sad Panda Skyblazin'.  Had to do that shit in two parts to get the achievements. 1) Hit all of the rings and fail the event. 2) Kill all rooftop mascots & tick the landing on Magarac island.
  • Since SR4 controls were still in my muscle memory, it was time to knock out Gangstas In Space and The Trouble With Clones.
  • Yeah, the Kill Seven Space Amazons With Melee Attacks did not sit well with me given that they were actresses on a movie set.  Even if they were female aliens, I was not raised to shoot DDT a woman; even one that is armed with a laser pistol.
  • For a game that professes to be unapologetic an filthy, I was bummed that my DudeShep did not put a move on Jenny..
  • Until we pulled the Flash Gordon and spiked the asshole director with our spaceship.  Never ask the cray cray out for dinner..
  • The Kill 15 Cameramen achievement was fucking awesome.  The Director screaming CUT TO CAMERA 1~!  and STOP SHOOTING DOWN MY CAMERAMEN~! whenever I would murder one of the grip crew was Number One and the Best.
  • The Trouble With Clones was waaay too short.
  • The fight at Technically Legal was sweet.  I hit the Bombs Away Drop and a Flying Clothesline on SWAT Team members.  I could deal with Kill 15 Guardsmen at Technically Legal because 1) They were armed  2) Guardsmen in the game are always male so I'm not striking a woman and  2) I'm not fond of cops anyway. Even less so given the news of the past 24 hours.
  • I really, really, really hate Jimmy as a narrator.
  • Two achievements gave me pause 1) I thought that I was going to have to shoot down five Steelport Guard Attack Choppers with the Swarminator, but my Annihilator magically appeared in my hands, so I was good. 2) The Destroy 45 Guard Vehicles thing got dicey because the smart rockets would track targets I locked onto instead of the closest targets so explosions would hit behind targets that were still shooting at me.  I thought I was going to run out of time before finding a good cluster of vehicles to blow up and hit the magic number.
  • While under the influence of Saint's Flow, I kept forgetting that I could only Super Sprint and throw fireballs.  I kept trying Super Jump at the worst times.
  • I'm assuming that Johnny Tag and Jimmy bit the dust when Zinyak destroyed Earth.
  • God, I miss my SR3 clothing, especially Crooks & Castles kicks and the Heydey Super Shifts.
  • Oh the corners that got cut in this game.   The re-use of the penthouse floor plan for all of the upgradable safehouses, no flags for my Saints crew cars patrolling the streets.  Bwah,.....
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Started playing Gat Out of Hell. It's just a re-skinned version of SR4, isn't it? The powers are basically identical, and a bunch of dead characters are back because we're in hell.

I like it though. Don't know how I'm going to get the trophy for playing co-op for three hours, I don't think it's too busy online (assuming you can partner with randoms... someone on my friends list was asking about it through PSN messenger though, so maybe I can twist his arm into getting it & tagging with me.

GOOH was originally DLC for SR4 I think.  You can play through the story missions in a couple of hours so I don't know what you would do for co-op for 3 hours.  Even with doing the side stuff, there's only like 5 hours of gameplay in there.

• Like 1

On PS3, it's a completely separate game. On PS4, it's the added content on the SR4 disc to make people who bought it on PS3 double dip.

Five years ago I got SRT3 via the Humble THQ bundle. This is the character I made and have been using since, though I kinda stopped playing 2 years ago

Spoiler

Czln3fIVEAAqClr.jpg

This is my best friend, who I met earlier this year.

Spoiler

Czln3RNUAAATlWg.jpg

I about passed out when I fired up Saints Row for the first time in a while yesterday.

On 12/12/2016 at 9:39 PM, Neil Koch said:

You can play through the story missions in a couple of hours so I don't know what you would do for co-op for 3 hours.  Even with doing the side stuff, there's only like 5 hours of gameplay in there.

If you want the Plat, you've got to play for 20 hours total, and complete every challenge. Most of which are of the 'Get 100 kills with this gun' variety. And there's 101 of them.