DVDVR Message Board

Purotopia Catch-All Thread 2014

Graham Crackers

Ibushi, Sekimoto, and maybe Okabayashi as a low seed. I'm more than a year behind with Dragon Gate but I gotta believe at least one guy there that deserves mention.

Also whats the deal with the Sekimoto injury? How long is he gonna be out?

I'd throw Kana in there (if we're including joshi), though she probably couldn't get past.... eh, Santino Marella?  Sharkboy?  That Cheeseburger dude from RoH?  But, yeah, she had a better year than most people who will be in the tourney.

I'm not showing up for March Madness, btw, so don't expect me to vote for her.  The tourney's reputation precedes it.  I'll pass.  Arguing with people on the internet over whether Harry Smith has better punches than CM Punk doesn't appeal to me much.

It's not nearly as serious as that. Not any more anyway. Besides all you have to do is pop in, tick a box, click submit, and that's it. You don't have to read anything or participate beyond that. And any outrage is all tongue in cheek anyway. Except for me when Ziggler loses. That's for real.

Kana, was pretty boss from what I've seen.

Yuji Nagata won the GHC Heavyweight Title earlier today, so there is that. Morishima failed to even get one defense. I think KENTA already challenged him.

Yuji Nagata won the GHC Heavyweight Title earlier today, so there is that. Morishima failed to even get one defense. I think KENTA already challenged him.

You think they only hotshotted the title onto Morishima, because they found out KENTA would have a WWE tryout?

I just realized that Naofumi Yamamoto has been signed with WWE for over six years.  Six!  And I don't think he has won a single meaningful match on National TV.  I guess he is never going back to New Japan?  It is odd that WWE would keep him signed for so long (he is 36) but clearly has no plans to use him for anything.  Somewhat surprised he stayed so long since he can't be making more than the minimum contract, did New Japan never try to get him back?  The whole situation is unusual, I think he has had the longest run of any Japanese wrestler in WWE History but most fans have no idea who he is.

It is kind of odd they keep him. They don't use him for anything at this point. I think he's just down in NXT doing nothing.

That's what he is doing. However, he has learned to play the game and is staying under that nice six figure contract.

He can always write his ticket back in Japan as well. He will be worth triple what he was before and can play his own hand to get what he wants when he returns. I guarantee that AJPW, NOAH and probably NJPW would love to have him, along with every other promotion there.

Well I doubt he is making six figures, the downside a few years ago was 75K and its not like he is getting PPV or merchandise bonuses.  And I am not sure if NXT wrestlers even get that.  Plus that doesn't include cost for hotels and what not (not that he travels much anyway).  And I am assuming he didn't sign a six year contract, so New Japan has had time to be like "Hey!  When your contract expires!  Come back! We miss you!" ;)  

I do agree he'd be in demand at least upon return to Japan which makes it seem stranger to me.  I can understand the WWE dream but you'd think after six years of going nowhere that would satisfy the dream :)  Someone should do an interview with him and ask... Ditch?  Alan?  Use some puroresu interview connections.

I'm asking for a handful of names for the guys who had the best 2013. March Madness is expanding to include Puro and Lucha this year, so I need some reps from the Land of the Rising Sun. Yes, I know it'll be an uphill climb against the US guys, but I'm trying to broaden people's horizons. So give me some names.

Tanahashi and Okada are locks. 

Nakamura, Goto, Akiyama, Shibata and Ishii.

Didn't he leave New Japan under pretty bad terms? I think I read or heard some interviews at which he said some pretty nasty things about NJPW, basically saying he would never go back there.

I think they keep him around, because they always want one token Japanese guy around, probably to promote their live events, when they tour in Japan.

Why they haven't replaced him, yet, I don't know. They never really gave KAZMA and Takizawa a fair chance.

Yoshi wanted to move to Texas a few months back because he had become aware of a really nice Japanese community there, which would be handy for his daughter who's starting school soon. Anyway, the office wouldn't let him because they demanded that he still attends all of the basic training in developmental. So basically he just does hip toss drills all day. Feel bad for the guy. He was fantastic back on ECW. Had some awesome matches with Ryder and Regal.

Yoshi wanted to move to Texas a few months back because he had become aware of a really nice Japanese community there, which would be handy for his daughter who's starting school soon. Anyway, the office wouldn't let him because they demanded that he still attends all of the basic training in developmental. So basically he just does hip toss drills all day. Feel bad for the guy. He was fantastic back on ECW. Had some awesome matches with Ryder and Regal.

I guess you feel bad for him cause he's not getting to do what he likes, but I personally don't. He's making more money doing nothing tied to a WWE contract than he would breaking his back and neck not even earning as much in New Japan.

I guess you feel bad for him cause he's not getting to do what he likes, but I personally don't. He's making more money doing nothing tied to a WWE contract than he would breaking his back and neck not even earning as much in New Japan.

Yeah, I can't say I wouldn't trade with him. I'll take some hip toss drills for six figures.