DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2024 - May

RIPPA

Meanwhile the Brewers and Rays had any actual brawl with punches and everything

Will post a clip once the board doesn't hate me

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Meanwhile the Brewers and Rays had any actual brawl with punches and everything

Will post a clip once the board doesn't hate me

The Brewers have had themselves a few days. The blown Aaron Judge interference call. The correct call on the third strike where the catcher was hit with a bat. Ejection after drilling a guy. Now a brawl after a play at 1B.

3 minutes ago, Travis Sheldon said:

Those don't form overnight, how did the grounds crew miss that?

This is their head groundskeeper? 

Spoiler

1678225784592?e=2147483647&v=beta&t=Si_m

🐝

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

And the Marlins are rebuilding… again

Why do I do this to myself.. 

For the first time in his career, Aaron Judge has been thrown out of a game. 

The YES network were talking in tones that made it seem like this was the biggest injustice in the history of baseball.  However, he was clearly arguing a strike 3 call (that YES's own graphic said was correct).

21 hours ago, RIPPA said:

And the Marlins are rebuilding… again

Follow up here.  Luis went 4 for 6 today for the Padres.  

Meanwhile the Marlins lost to Oakland, 20-4.  

I hate baseball.

9 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

For the first time in his career, Aaron Judge has been thrown out of a game. 

The YES network were talking in tones that made it seem like this was the biggest injustice in the history of baseball.  However, he was clearly arguing a strike 3 call (that YES's own graphic said was correct).

CloseCallSports on YouTube had a nice video on this. Judge argued a good call, swore at the ump, then tried the "say something nasty while walking away so it looks like I got tossed for nothing" tactic. He 100% deserved to be tossed. 

25 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Marlins Baseball.   It's faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaantastic:

Did they have Ricky Vaughn on the mound?

Are we moving on to a May thread, or should we just rename this one to be the first half of the season? Just curious.

17 hours ago, Hamhock said:

Are we moving on to a May thread, or should we just rename this one to be the first half of the season? Just curious.

Thanks for the reminder.

• RIPPA pinned this topic

In absolutely hideous news

Former major leaguer Sean Burroughs has passed away at the age of 44

Apparently he was coaching his son's Little League team and he just collapsed and died

• Sad 4

Nice article from ESPN on the new bat speed tracking stats:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/40120458/mlb-statcast-bat-tracking-data-giancarlo-stanton-luis-arraez

Basically, the takeaway is that bat speed is overrated. 

The article also mentions Javier Baez as the worst hitter in the majors. Intrigued, I looked him up. Baez currently has an OPS of .441. Baez is playing 85% of Detroit's games, putting him on pace to play 137 games. In the live ball era, there have been just 11 guys to play 120 games with an OPS under .500. Unsure who all they are, as Baseball Reference will only show me one of the 11, but suffice to say Baez has been historically awful this year (after being just generically awful the last two years). 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tabe said:

Nice article from ESPN on the new bat speed tracking stats:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/40120458/mlb-statcast-bat-tracking-data-giancarlo-stanton-luis-arraez

The article also mentions Javier Baez as the worst hitter in the majors. Intrigued, I looked him up. Baez currently has an OPS of .441. Baez is playing 85% of Detroit's games, putting him on pace to play 137 games. In the live ball era, there have been just 11 guys to play 120 games with an OPS under .500. Unsure who all they are, as Baseball Reference will only show me one of the 11, but suffice to say Baez has been historically awful this year (after being just generically awful the last two years). 

Not sure which player B-R showed ya, but Hal Lanier pulled off the feat *twice* for the SF Giants.

1967 - 151 games, .494 OPS

1968 - 151 games, .461 OPS

3 hours ago, paragon11 said:

Not sure which player B-R showed ya, but Hal Lanier pulled off the feat *twice* for the SF Giants.

1967 - 151 games, .494 OPS

1968 - 151 games, .461 OPS

That would be the guy. It showed me Hal's 1968.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tabe said:

For a few reasons, some obvious, I’d think there’s some correlation between the players good at exit velo and bat speed. While hitting the ball at a high exit velo doesn’t guarantee a hit, players usually hit better at a high EV than a low EV.

Ratio-wise, for every Arraez who checks in as  slow with bat speed, there are several players with slow bats who are googling post-retirement careers in their free time.

In theory, if they have pitch velo and bat speed velo for the same pitches, there should be a formula for “expected” exit velo if a ball traveling X mph is hit by a bat traveling Y mph. Which I guess would have value for figuring out who makes harder than expected contact and who doesn’t.

I think they might use the bat data to figure out swing paths one day which might be interesting. Especially for figuring out if any high Whiff guys have hope of reducing their whiff rate

• Like 1