DVDVR Message Board

2024 Hollywood Business

Dolfan in NYC

On 4/21/2024 at 4:21 AM, AxB said:

The only reason they had to go from a company that makes and distributes movies, to a company that deletes movies for the tax write off, is the Fantastic Beasts franchise died on it's arse. JK Rowling's lack of talent killed the company. She's the Vince Russo of Warner Bros.

Need to compile a lit of shared universes that worked and were profitable vs all the attempted shared universes that shit the bed.

All these bean counters and C-suite failing upwards fuckwads see is Marvel and Star Wars branching out with all kinds of content and making money (and, to be fair, those universes have had their share of crap) and they just direct their creatives to "go make that!," like it's that simple, with zero concept of how much real time and effort went into doing it in a way that created good films and shows that built a universe, engaged people, and made them want to buy in to those universes.  Like how the DC universe skipped from step 2 to step 5 with nothing in between and then the studio lamented that nobody cared about the Justice League.  These guys are just mining for expansive IP they can whore out with no concept of how to take your time and make it good.  It's no wonder they think AI is the future of film; they have no concept of the creative process and likely have contempt for those pesky writers, directors, actors, etc.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Need to compile a lit of shared universes that worked and were profitable vs all the attempted shared universes that shit the bed.

All these bean counters and C-suite failing upwards fuckwads see is Marvel and Star Wars branching out with all kinds of content and making money (and, to be fair, those universes have had their share of crap) and they just direct their creatives to "go make that!," like it's that simple, with zero concept of how much real time and effort went into doing it in a way that created good films and shows that built a universe, engaged people, and made them want to buy in to those universes.  Like how the DC universe skipped from step 2 to step 5 with nothing in between and then the studio lamented that nobody cared about the Justice League.  These guys are just mining for expansive IP they can whore out with no concept of how to take your time and make it good.  It's no wonder they think AI is the future of film; they have no concept of the creative process and likely have contempt for those pesky writers, directors, actors, etc.

I can't like this post enough.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Give me an animated Ghost Rider series with the Nightstalkers and Count Dracula and we're on. I don't care if it's anime style. 

Too bad the Midnight Suns game didn't do better. 

16 hours ago, Travis Sheldon said:

I can't like this post enough.

Thanks!  It's just crazy how the Marvel franchise had five films lay the groundwork for Avengers, four-ish years of releases to build up a universe that then kept on going, and a bunch of suits concerned with nothing but the next quarter directed DC to just jump from a Superman movie to "Dawn of Justice" with no separate films in between.  They saw the blueprint right there but ignored it, ostensibly because that would take too long.  "Marvel/Disney have that and it's making all that money!  Why don't we have that!?  Go do it!"  It's like telling my kid to go build me a new car because my neighbor has one.

15 hours ago, odessasteps said:

If Abbott and Costello could make the universal monster-verse work, anyone can if there not dopes. 

They had 8 years and 21 films to build on before they joined the shared monsterverse.  🤣

Edited by Technico Support

That is an interesting comparison to make. The Universal horror film franchise was 35 deep before the Abbott and Costello pictures, and then there were the three Creature films (late bloomer apparently) over 23-24 years (there were some missing years with no films and my math sucks). I don't know how that stands up to the Marvel franchise but seems like a ways to go if it's gonna compare, right? 

EDIT: I guess Technico was just going on the actual Universal Monsters, I added all the horror films listed on Wiki in those years. Look at them as the New Mutants and Morbiuses of the franchise.

Edited by Curt McGirt

44 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

That is an interesting comparison to make. The Universal horror film franchise was 35 deep before the Abbott and Costello pictures, and then there were the three Creature films (late bloomer apparently) over 23-24 years (there were some missing years with no films and my math sucks). I don't know how that stands up to the Marvel franchise but seems like a ways to go if it's gonna compare, right? 

EDIT: I guess Technico was just going on the actual Universal Monsters, I added all the horror films listed on Wiki in those years. Look at them as the New Mutants and Morbiuses of the franchise.

I was just going quick and dirty, looking at the history of Abbott & Costello films and how long/how many films it took them to get to their first monster movie (Abbott & Costello Meet Frankestein).

This iMDB list says Universal was 59 deep before they went into comedy with A&C.  Either way, it makes sense that it took a long time to get there, as "parody/comedy" is the last phase of a genre. 

• Like 2

A&C were also the most popular entertainers in the English speaking world during WWII, though the monster movies are the ones that kinda revived both their career and the monster franchise when both seemingly had ran their course.

Well, this could go almost anywhere, but, Harvey Weinstein's conviction for sexual assault has been overturned by the NY Supreme Court.

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Well, this could go almost anywhere, but, Harvey Weinstein's conviction for sexual assault has been overturned by the NY Supreme Court.

Bloody hell.