DVDVR Message Board

2024 SPRING TRAINING

RIPPA

Due to opening the season in South Korea, the Dodgers opened camp yesterday and the Padres start this weekend

And yes - a whole lotta Scott Boras clients remain unsigned

Though he's currently unemployed, MLB is none too thrilled with Billy Eppler and the New York Metropolitans:

"...without any involvement of Club ownership or superiors." 

*sure_jan.gif*

In yet another case of "the RFP went to the lowest bidder"... 

MLB's uniforms are being made by Fanatics this year, and that's going about as well as you'd expect:

• Sad 1

This is a Nike template and fabric spec that Fanatics is producing, so I’d divide the scorn into equal heaps.

The Royals released plans for a new stadium in downtown KC

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/39519845/royals-unveil-plans-ballpark-downtown-kansas-city-missouri-entertainment-district

The new stadium would seat 34,000 which is actually 3000 less than Kauffman Stadium

The hope is it would be ready for the 2028 season

Meanwhile the As haven't released any renderings for a stadium in Vegas and are currently meeting with Oakland officials to extend the lease to cover the gap before leaving for Vegas so I am sure that isn't an awkward meeting

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Meanwhile the As haven't released any renderings for a stadium in Vegas and are currently meeting with Oakland officials to extend the lease to cover the gap before leaving for Vegas so I am sure that isn't an awkward meeting

I think it was mentioned in the off-season thread, but the LV mayor was basically telling the A's to fuck right back off to Oakland because they were making insane demands.  Almost sounding like this thing may blow up in everyone's faces.   

I'm sure Portland and Austin are looking on with interest. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

The Royals released plans for a new stadium in downtown KC

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/39519845/royals-unveil-plans-ballpark-downtown-kansas-city-missouri-entertainment-district

The new stadium would seat 34,000 which is actually 3000 less than Kauffman Stadium

The hope is it would be ready for the 2028 season

This is a bummer because I've seen a million games in Kauffman and I really love the stadium but boy would it be a boostnot to have the team way out in bumblefuck Missouri.

Joe Espada's first order of business as Astros manager was announcing that Josh Hader will be the closer and Ryan Pressly is being move to setup

Not really "news" because he had said before but forever reason everyone decided to run with as a story yesterday

Rob Manfred stated that this will be his last term as MLB commissioner. His term will end January 2029

Other things from the couple of interviews he has given over the last couple of weeks

• He will be "disappointed" if the Athletics are not ready to move to Vegas for 2028.
  • Related to that point - since the schedule for 2025 will be finalized in July, Manfred said the As have to have their location secured before then
  • He wants to get all the TV rights figured out first before starting the process of expansion
  • He thinks baseball should have a FA deadline (ie: you have to sign by a certain time) because of course he does
  • He also thinks all the players will love the new uniforms. They just aren't used to them yet

20 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Not really "news" because he had said before but forever reason everyone decided to run with as a story yesterday

Rob Manfred stated that this will be his last term as MLB commissioner. His term will end January 2029

Other things from the couple of interviews he has given over the last couple of weeks

• He will be "disappointed" if the Athletics are not ready to move to Vegas for 2028.
  • Related to that point - since the schedule for 2025 will be finalized in July, Manfred said the As have to have their location secured before then
  • He wants to get all the TV rights figured out first before starting the process of expansion
  • He thinks baseball should have a FA deadline (ie: you have to sign by a certain time) because of course he does
  • He also thinks all the players will love the new uniforms. They just aren't used to them yet

What an ASSHOLE. . .

• Like 2

Not even mentioned in that was at one point - he when asked about the fans of Oakland being upset his answer was along of the lines of "But there is still a team in the Bay!"

Yeah - because As fans notoriously root for the Giants too

• Like 3

So for.... reasons... the Padres have decided to flip the middle of their infield

Xander Bogaerts is moving from SS to 2B while Ha-Seong Kim will do the reverse

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Related to that point - since the schedule for 2025 will be finalized in July, Manfred said the As have to have their location secured before then

On 2/16/2024 at 11:17 AM, RIPPA said:

I will be disappointed if Manfred doesn't move straight into the path of a speeding garbage truck.

• Haha 1

Red Sox are signing Liam Hendriks

It is a two year deal guaranteeing him $10 million

As a reminder - Hendriks had TJ in August so is pretty much out for this season.

The deal also has a mutual option for 2026

In news not really shocking for this delusional family

Mark Lerner announced that the Lerner family is no longer planning on selling the Nationals (ie: no one would give them $2.5 Billion for a terrible team with fucked TV rights)

This also reminds me - since it was another owner who said he would sell and then didn't

Arte Moreno had an interview last week where basically the sole reason the Angels didn't trade Ohtani is because he (Moreno) didn't want to sacrifice ticket sales for the rest of the year

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

In news not really shocking for this delusional family

Mark Lerner announced that the Lerner family is no longer planning on selling the Nationals (ie: no one would give them $2.5 Billion for a terrible team with fucked TV rights)

I would not be shocked if the Lerners thought they had a deal with Ted and Ted pulled it when he decided to move his teams to NoVA

Hyun Jin Ryu is returning to South Korea as he is going to rejoin the Hanwha Eagles

He will reportedly become the KBO's highest paid player

The uniform issue is quickly becoming a thing.   The MLBPA is really not happy, and I'm sure Manfred is going to give these complaints their due consideration  (i.e. putting his fingers in his ears and saying "naaaany naaaany boo boo")

• Haha 3