DVDVR Message Board

The 58th Superb Owl

Dolfan in NYC

I haven’t had a chance to look over the rules in full, but where I was watching, and there were a lot of us, we were all wondering wtf KC was doing wasting so much time at the end. We all thought that if the clock hit 0 with SF still up by 3 then that would have been the game.

So is that right or would it have been like the end of OT1 and gone into OT2?

7 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I haven’t had a chance to look over the rules in full, but where I was watching, and there were a lot of us, we were all wondering wtf KC was doing wasting so much time at the end. We all thought that if the clock hit 0 with SF still up by 3 then that would have been the game.

The commentators (and the ref during the coin toss) kept referring to OT as "a whole new game". So, no, I believe KC would've continued with that drive. Each team gets a full possession before it can end.

11 minutes ago, Craig H said:

CBS did a horrible job explaining what was going on with the clock in OT1, when they finally mentioned it with only a few seconds showing it was mixed in with Romo's diarrhea mouth. Below are the rules, OT1 going into OT2 is the same as what happens between the 1st & 2nd and 3rd & 4th quarters, if somehow they played through OT2 it's basically like halftime without the break.

OVERTIME RULES FOR NFL POSTSEASON GAMES
Unlike regular season games, postseason games cannot end in a tie, so the overtime rules change slightly for the playoffs.

• If the score is still tied at the end of an overtime period — or if the second team’s initial possession has not ended — the teams will play another overtime period. Play will continue regardless of how many overtime periods are needed for a winner to be determined.
  • There will be a two-minute intermission between each overtime period. There will not be a halftime intermission after the second period.
  • The captain who lost the first overtime coin toss will either choose to possess the ball or select which goal his team will defend, unless the team that won the coin toss deferred that choice.
  • Each team will have an opportunity to possess the ball in overtime.
  • Each team gets three timeouts during a half.
  • The same timing rules that apply at the end of the second and fourth regulation periods also apply at the end of a second or fourth overtime period.
  • If there is still no winner at the end of a fourth overtime period, there will be another coin toss, and play will continue until a winner is declared.

It was essentially a "new game".  If they had hit :00, that's the end of the "quarter" and they would have just flipped sides, because Kansas City had not completed their drive.  If they had without scoring, the game would have ended. 

I would *imagine* there's  a 5 minute "half time" after 2 OT's.  God help us all if they ever reach that. 

EDIT -- now that I've read those rules.... yeah, no 'halftime', but new coin toss before OT #5.   Honestly though, it's probably better if they just turn the clock off and play untimed until there's a winner. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

It was essentially a "new game".  If they had hit :00, that's the end of the "quarter" and they would have just flipped sides, because Kansas City had not completed their drive.  If they had without scoring, the game would have ended. 

I would *imagine* there's  a 5 minute "half time" after 2 OT's.  God help us all if they ever reach that. 

If they'd have had to do the OT halftime, they has Sisqo* on standby to do a little show.

*Was trying to think of who the poor-man's Usher would be.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Log said:

If they'd have had to do the OT halftime, they has Sisqo* on standby to do a little show.

That would be Trey Songz.

Yeah, you don't want any parts of Trigga at the Super Bowl.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Log said:

This song, three times in a row, with special guests. 

Joe was great.

I dunno if you can invite Mystikal to the Super Bowl though. Might be a tad bit of an issue. 🙂 

And it's in New Orleans next year too. Man, I would go all in on a No Limit reunion. Guess we have to settle for Cash Money records taking over for the 99 and the 2000s.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

EDIT -- now that I've read those rules.... yeah, no 'halftime', but new coin toss before OT #5.   Honestly though, it's probably better if they just turn the clock off and play untimed until there's a winner. 

You need to have the clock for playoff games played outside, if it's windy that's a big factor on some clock decisions. 

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I thought the same thing. Just turn off the clock.

I thought the change to OT was…good, but it could still be a ton better.

Like others, I like college football OT the best, but even then I think they should move the starting point back.

One other nitpick, after the HOF and watching a highlight video of every Devin Hester return for a TD, it made me think of how pointless kickoffs are. That return for a TD to start a SB was electrifying. It’s a weapon they shouldn’t have taken away from teams. 

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Then, at some point, Gorilla Monsoon comes out and forces you to keep going even though you played for 60 minutes and nothing happened.

Enduring that bullshit betrayal once (and I never fully forgave Gorilla for that first Bret screw job) was enough, I suppose I’m relived I at least didn’t have to go through that “this match must continue until HBKC wins” mularkey again

• Haha 3

Despite what was mentioned above, Mecole Hardman apparently did not realize he had just ended the game and won the Super Bowl on his touchdown until Mahomes told him.

3 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Despite what was mentioned above, Mecole Hardman apparently did not realize he had just ended the game and won the Super Bowl on his touchdown until Mahomes told him.

From what I saw this morning, Hardman sounded like he'd gone into some kind of fugue state when he caught the pass.  (That or you know, concussion.)

It would be a radical change from any NFL OT but I kind of loved XFL's approach to OT.  Both teams have a chance to go for a TD from I think the 10 yard line and whoever's first to get it wins.  It saves time and also can create drama almost like a PK shootout for soccer.  Whether that's actually good for the league or even one bit realistic who knows but I sure loved the idea.