DVDVR Message Board

2024 HORROR DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

This is crazy considering David Emge just died, but one of the two (!) new streaming horror channels that showed up on Dish the other day is playing Madman and Gaylen Ross is the lead, which I had no idea about. 

These two channels seem pretty cool. They're Screambox TV, and Horror by Altar. The second one is big on Elvira's Movie Macabre, where they had Frankenstein's Castle of Freaks on early today and showed actual tits! (Meanwhile, the word "shit" in Madman got a big fat BEEP like back in the old days, haha.) Screambox seems to have newer stuff for the most part. There's a lot of Fear Itself and Masters of Horror episodes. The Stepfather films all got a spin; I'm looking forward to finally seeing the trash that is Hard Rock Zombies, a double feature of the Nightbreed director's cut and The Beyond, The Exorcist III, Titan Find/Creature (always fun), and a documentary about the making of the '90s It miniseries. 

Coincidentally there are several more of these streamers that they added, among them: a Black Cinema channel, a kung-fu/Asian channel (hell yeah!) called HI-YAH!, a documentary channel (which had the most brutal The Act of Killing on earlier), some western/detective/oldies stations, and -- this is the neatest -- a Three Stooges channel and a BOB ROSS CHANNEL. Hell yeah! 

• Like 1

The Return of Steamboat Willie

If you are wondering why it looks like a video game - it is because the entire movie is being made with the Unreal 5 Engine

It is a movie though

So that makes 3 movies based on Steamboat Willie announced since it hit public domain

IN A VIOLENT NATURE

Starring Andrea Pavlovic, Cameron Love, and Ry Barrett
Directed by Chris Nash

A slasher movie told from the prespective of the killer...

• Like 1

https://www.rogerebert.com/festivals/sundance-2024-in-a-violent-nature-the-moogai-krazy-house

That got really high marks from this guy at Sundance. 

The best of the bunch is Chris Nash’s wild “In a Violent Nature,” a film that plays like an arthouse version of “Friday the 13th,” from Jason’s perspective. It is a gore-fest that is splendidly committed to the bit, starting with an extended sequence of a hulking figure emerging from the earth and slowly walking through the woods. As a conversation plays out in the distance—always at such a clear volume that I half-wonder if Nash’s undead creature is supposed to have super-hearing—the camera lurks a few steps behind its monster, moving at his deliberate pace. This is largely the rhythm the film will follow for its runtime, including an amazing scene in which the monster simply walks into a lake in which a poor victim is swimming on the other side, and we wait what seems like an eternity for the inevitable.

There is a loose plot in “In a Violent Nature” that explains the film’s big bad and introduces a group of travelers to the woodsy region, one of whom takes a necklace that had been keeping the villain entombed in the ground. The travelers are largely just a crew of future victims, but Nash has put some thought into their dispatching, including one of the most brutal kills I’ve ever seen in a horror film. And, to be fair, the young Canadian cast is more charming and engaging than your average slasher pic, especially Andrea Pavlovic. The first few victims are kind of interchangeable, but the ones who realize they’re being hunted deliver, especially when they realize they're being hunted.

Having said that, “In a Violent Nature” is mostly a formal exercise. What if we told a horror story not as much from the POV of the bad guy—it’s like we get to know his inner monologue—but merely trapped by his side? And Nash is careful not to make a “Hardcore Henry” version of this wherein we root for a ruthless killer. It’s not exploitative, even though it is often gross and brutal. In a sense, locking us beside the bad guy ups the tension because we can’t escape either. We’re as trapped as his victims, just hoping he doesn’t turn around.

Holy fuckin' shit, Screambox (which is Bloody Disgusting website's channel, turns out) is showing The Bird with the Crystal Plumage, which I haven't seen since I was a teenager, and A CAT IN THE FRICKIN BRAIN. I've finally noticed that they aren't cool with either cussing or nudity after they blurred Blood Harvest to death (which, granted, has some disgustingly pervy scenes with the lead's boyfriend stripping and fondling her while she's semiconscious) but that second one is a LOT of blood, which they seem to be cool with. Let's see how far the envelope stretches.

• Like 2

Woke up to the end of Hellraiser III on my television. Oh, how pissed I would have been when this came out if I had been of age and already invested in these films. The puns alone made me want to throw the remote right through the screen. 

Funny enough I changed the channel and elsewhere they were showing another version of what the series ended up being, starting with that film: Wishmaster. 

EDIT: Coulda been worse, I guess. When I fell asleep they were showing the Amityville Horror movies. Imagine how frustrated you'd be if you were a follower of those; they never made ANY good ones...

Edited by Curt McGirt

To go back to the Frankenstein discussion - Christian Bale confirmed he will be in the Maggie Gyllenhaal directed version of Frankenstein

This version also stars Jessie Buckley, Annette Bening, Penelope Cruz, and Peter Sarsgaard

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

EDIT: Coulda been worse, I guess. When I fell asleep they were showing the Amityville Horror movies. Imagine how frustrated you'd be if you were a follower of those; they never made ANY good ones...

Amityville 1 has a house that is booked to steamroll over the Lutz family (plus the priest played by Rod Steiger).

Amityville 2 has Burt Young hamming it up and taking out his rage that he had banked from the Rocky films, and a questionable angle with the lead brother and sister.

Amityville 3 is the best of the early 80s 3D craze. What other film has a stuffed marlin flying directly in to the camera?

The rest are at times unimaginative messes.

I do give the second and third leeway for personal reasons: 2 was technically an Italian Exorcist ripoff, which rules, and had a basement full of zombies and Burt Young. 3 has probably the all-time best non-Final Destination/Omen accidental death in a film ever with the burned-to-death-in-a-car moment which is just tremendously jarring/shocking for a film so crapulous. And the goofy monster was some prime '80s FX action (Hellraiser III in fact is probably a nadir for that: incredible effects of the compleat KNB/Bottin/Winston/Johnson/Screaming Mad George/John Carl Buechler vintage in service to a film that, scriptwise, is utter trash). That original sure can take a hike though. 

Also, I have no idea how bad (let's not even contemplate the possibility of quality) the other ones or the remake are, so I'm just talking those three movies I guess.

16 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I do give the second and third leeway for personal reasons: 2 was technically an Italian Exorcist ripoff, which rules, and had a basement full of zombies and Burt Young. 3 has probably the all-time best non-Final Destination/Omen accidental death in a film ever with the burned-to-death-in-a-car moment which is just tremendously jarring/shocking for a film so crapulous. And the goofy monster was some prime '80s FX action (Hellraiser III in fact is probably a nadir for that: incredible effects of the compleat KNB/Bottin/Winston/Johnson/Screaming Mad George/John Carl Buechler vintage in service to a film that, scriptwise, is utter trash). That original sure can take a hike though. 

Also, I have no idea how bad (let's not even contemplate the possibility of quality) the other ones or the remake are, so I'm just talking those three movies I guess.

The remake was one of the better 2000s horror remakes.

It had plenty of CGI jumpscares.

Easily right there with TCM, IMO.

Bret Easton Ellis, known pretentious asshole, Twitter feuder of J.D. Salinger (bwahahahaha), sez he is busy making an "elevated horror" film. 

"Elevated horror". 

Please, please, please go away forever now please.

"Elevator horror"... anybody that uses this frankly insulting and elitist term can lick my nutsack.

M3GAN 2.0 has been delayed from January 17, 2025 to May 16, 2025

Any later and it was certain to fuck us all in the Summer Blockbuster Pool

Somebody beat Arachnophobia to the punch! It's like when Ticks, Skeeter and Mosquito all got made around the exact same time. 

STING (dir. Kiah Roache-Turner [Wyrmwood: Apocalypse])

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B73g786Izg0&t=131s

Trigger Warning for the Obvious Reasons

(Also, they made a sequel to Wyrmwood? I'm gonna have to check that out; the first one was a blast.)

Luc Besson will direct a Dracula movie (whatever that might be)

Christoph Waltz and Caleb Landry-Jones are in discussion to star