DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF 2024 OFFSEASON

Cobra Commander

14 hours ago, EVA said:

Ultimately, the NCAA is in a precious state of affairs, and I don’t think it’s in their immediate interests to bring the hammer down too hard on a big, influential program like Michigan, so I would honestly be surprised if too much comes of the Stalions investigation.

But it is rather ironic that Harbaugh appears to be leaving college football under very similar circumstances as his old pal, Pete Caroll, in 2009: getting out of town just before the posse comes.

If I had to guess, I suspect they will get probation for about two years, a small scholarship reduction with it (maybe five per year), and the school will pay a hefty fine.

I think a post-season ban is extremely unlikely if only because did you see the ratings Michigan pulled in this year? Also, they seem to be moving away from using bans in favor of monetary penalties.

History says vacating wins is somewhat unlikely but not impossible. AFAIK, the only time the NCAA has ever vacated wins for anything other than playing ineligible athletes was Penn State, and they ended up restoring those.

Also, I think the NCAA would rather not wind up in another lawsuit right now, so they'll tread somewhat lightly in this. Get too aggressive and Michigan still probably sue

Anyway, even if the NCAA does vacate wins, it's highly unlikely the CFP, AP, AFCA, and NFF all vacate the national titles they awarded and ask for the trophies back.

Looks like Moore is now all but officially the next head coach at Michigan. Adam Schefeter reporting school sources have told him they've decided to hire Moore.

I imagine they apply for a waiver so they don't have to wait a few more days to make it official.

50 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I am very good with that. 

Yeah. I expect Michigan will get a lot less of the portal exodus we've seen elsewhere this winter.

-------

If I'm not mistaken, this year is the first time a team that made the CFP has ever had to replace their head coach. And the second time. And the third.

I'm also pretty sure that, not counting the Scott Frost/UCF claimed championship, this is the first time a national champion has had to replace their coach since Tom Osborne retired after the split Natty in 97.

Plenty of reason think Michigan with Moore can have the same long tail of the Harbaugh era that Stanford did with David Shaw.

But I’ll be interested to see if they extend him as much grace as they did Harbaugh. Its wild to think about now, but if not for Covid cancelling the 2020 Game, Harbaugh was, barring a minor miracle given how bad Michigan was that year, going to be fired after six (!!!!) fairly underwhelming seasons by the metrics that matter most to Michigan. With NIL and the portal, it’s never been harder to keep a good thing going, and Michigan’s schedule year in and year out is about to get a lot tougher with the West Coast schools coming in (2024 looks absolutely brutal by recent Michigan standards). They gonna stand by him if they drop back down to 10 wins, but not the wins that matter, for a few years?

5 hours ago, EVA said:

Plenty of reason think Michigan with Moore can have the same long tail of the Harbaugh era that Stanford did with David Shaw.

But I’ll be interested to see if they extend him as much grace as they did Harbaugh. Its wild to think about now, but if not for Covid cancelling the 2020 Game, Harbaugh was, barring a minor miracle given how bad Michigan was that year, going to be fired after six (!!!!) fairly underwhelming seasons by the metrics that matter most to Michigan. With NIL and the portal, it’s never been harder to keep a good thing going, and Michigan’s schedule year in and year out is about to get a lot tougher with the West Coast schools coming in (2024 looks absolutely brutal by recent Michigan standards). They gonna stand by him if they drop back down to 10 wins, but not the wins that matter, for a few years?

There's room for him to improve certain things. Michigan hasn't signed a top five class since 2017. At least part of that is likely tied into the constant uncertainty if Harbaugh would be headed back to the NFL or fired. 

If he can move Michigan's average recruiting class from the 11-15 range to more like the 5-8 range, and keep a lot of what's gone well going well (development, finding overlooked or under ranked prospects, roster retention) I think there's a chance he might keep the program relatively rolling.

But, of course, you never have any idea if a guy is going to work as a head coach until he does the job.

I feel very strongly Moore earned the right to get this job this year, but it doesn't guarantee anything.

Kansas will play their entire 2024 season in Kansas City while Memorial Stadium is blown up and rebuilt. Conference home games will be played at Arrowhead while their two non-conference affairs (Lindenwood and UNLV) will take place at Children's Mercy Park (Sporting KC).

Reece Atteberry became the first Michigan player to enter the portal since Harbaugh's departure. He's mostly been a special teams guy, never cracked the rotation first as an OL, or this past season after switching to DL. He'll be a fifth year senior. 

Gonna just post this and note that this, in no way shape or form, looks like the beginning of a "secession from the NCAA" movement:

Nope.  Not a bit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/30/2024 at 10:55 AM, Pete said:

Kansas will play their entire 2024 season in Kansas City while Memorial Stadium is blown up and rebuilt. Conference home games will be played at Arrowhead while their two non-conference affairs (Lindenwood and UNLV) will take place at Children's Mercy Park (Sporting KC).

while not the first time it's happened, this feels like a pretty rare season where a college plays a majority of their home games outside of their home state

I think the standard for weird seasons where a team couldn't play near their campus due to construction was the 1979 Syracuse season where they knocked down their stadium and were building the Carrier Dome, and they played home games at Giants Stadium, Rich Stadium, and a home game at Cornell's stadium, a series of games where the Buffalo games did not draw at all (turns out that Syracuse isn't actually that close to Buffalo), and the Giants Stadium games mostly didn't draw aside from a Syracuse/Penn State game which I'd imagine was mostly Penn State fans.

Syracuse went 7-5 and played in the Independence Bowl in a year where they didn't have a home stadium

On 2/7/2024 at 11:12 AM, RIPPA said:

Reportedly - Michigan is choosing between Joe Cullen and Wink Martindale to be their next DC

Per Schefter - it is indeed Martindale

43 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Chip Kelly leaving UCLA to be the OC at Ohio State sure is a choice

My guy took a demotion to a different school in the same conference. What a backhand to UCLA, which somehow views itself as a should-be-power in football despite NEVER doing anything in football. 

I forget if it was this year or last year but the "why aren't fans showing up to watch UCLA at the Rose Bowl" discourse just came to mind with Chip bailing out on UCLA

Of course, (a) the Rose Bowl isn't necessarily in a great location to get to quickly, even by LA standards, (b) the Rose Bowl is a ways from the UCLA campus, and (c) UCLA games pretty consistently don't draw at the Rose Bowl going back for years unless it's USC.

Not calling out anybody in particular but some of you are old enough to remember that UCLA playing at the Rose Bowl is a recent thing but I was surprised when I found out that UCLA played at the Coliseum until they went to the Rose Bowl in 1982. So this is still a relatively recent change by College Football standards.

Guessing it would be a pain in the ass to find enough open dates to get UCLA  to play at SoFi. By open dates I mean "they probably don't want to have UCLA playing on the same weekend as the Chargers/Rams too often" but that would at least take away 22k seats that they don't sell anyways while angering people who like the concept of playing at the Rose Bowl.

8 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

I forget if it was this year or last year but the "why aren't fans showing up to watch UCLA at the Rose Bowl" discourse just came to mind with Chip bailing out on UCLA

Of course, (a) the Rose Bowl isn't necessarily in a great location to get to quickly, even by LA standards, (b) the Rose Bowl is a ways from the UCLA campus, and (c) UCLA games pretty consistently don't draw at the Rose Bowl going back for years unless it's USC.

Not calling out anybody in particular but some of you are old enough to remember that UCLA playing at the Rose Bowl is a recent thing but I was surprised when I found out that UCLA played at the Coliseum until they went to the Rose Bowl in 1982. So this is still a relatively recent change by College Football standards.

Guessing it would be a pain in the ass to find enough open dates to get UCLA  to play at SoFi. By open dates I mean "they probably don't want to have UCLA playing on the same weekend as the Chargers/Rams too often" but that would at least take away 22k seats that they don't sell anyways while angering people who like the concept of playing at the Rose Bowl.

On one hand, it's like a half hour away from campus in good traffic, and having the stadium that far away can't be fun.

On the other, Miami won five national championships with an off campus stadium so it's not like that alone makes winning impossible