DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF 2024 OFFSEASON

Cobra Commander

2 minutes ago, Tabe said:

JJ Mccarthy announced he's going to the NFL.

And unsurprisingly so did Blake Corum (who did technically have another year of eligibility because of covid but was pretty much known he was going pro all season. And, you know, "business is finished.")

• Like 1

On 1/13/2024 at 9:49 AM, EVA said:

I don’t have any inside info on this, but a name I might keep an eye on for DeBoer’s staff is South Alabama HC Kane Wommack. They were on staff together at Indiana, and Kane knows the lay of the land down here really well. Has a lot of the recruiting connections that DeBoer will need.

Subscribe to my newsletter lol

Although Michigan is, obviously, losing a ton of talent, there was some good news for the program.

Safeties Rod Moore and Makari Paige, Edge Josiah Stewart, and RB Donovan Edwards all announced they are returning to Michigan for another year 

There's a ton of holes and questions on offense, but the defense has a hell of a lot coming back. Graham, Grant, Hausmann, Johnson, Sabb... Definitely got the talent to be one of the best in the country again (though I kinda suspect if Harbaugh leaves, Jesse Minter probably goes with him to the NFL.)

Edited by Brian Fowler

On 1/14/2024 at 5:51 PM, Brian Fowler said:

Jedd Fisch to Washington. And the carousel spins on

Indeed it does as Arizona fills its void by hiring San Jose State's Brent Brennan

The trickle down from Saban’s retirement has been brutal. And yet another clear example of why there need to be significant reforms in how the transfer portal works. Through no fault of their own, poor San Jose State and South Alabama now have to endure 30 days of open season on their roster, yet they’re not allowed to be active in the portal to help themselves until it re-opens after spring ball.

In future turmoil news, Ross Bork is leaving A&M to take the Ohio State AD job.  

So, congratulations Buckeye fans.  You’re getting the guy responsible for Jimbo’s insane contract extension.  And for whatever that Mark Stoops midnight deal was.  Good luck with that. 

And now Ryan Day gets to hear he’s on the hot seat the first time he doesn’t win by three touchdowns.  And Elko hears the same when our offense looks like crap in the spring game, as is tradition.  

8 hours ago, EVA said:

The trickle down from Saban’s retirement has been brutal. And yet another clear example of why there need to be significant reforms in how the transfer portal works. Through no fault of their own, poor San Jose State and South Alabama now have to endure 30 days of open season on their roster, yet they’re not allowed to be active in the portal to help themselves until it re-opens after spring ball.

Yeah it's nuts. Especially if Fisch ends up getting some of his top players to go with him, etc.

The domino of one guy retiring is insane.

With Harbaugh still up in the air, it's possible 3/4s of the CFP field will have new head coaches next year. Which is pretty nuts. Off hand, I don't remember any team changing the head coach after being in the playoffs that season before.

South Alabama will be promoting offensive coordinator Major Applewhite to HC. Exactly what I figured would happen. He’s popular with the team, and as we’ve seen at the other jobs affected by Saban’s retirement, changing coaching staffs is a death wish right now. Promoting Major should preserve most of what’s expected to be a pretty good roster next season.

Major was kind of a dud at Houston in his first go-round as the head man, so we’ll see what he’s learned since then.

Whats funny is I’ve had some inklings that he might be on his way out at South, and now fate has handed him the big chair.

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

GD_dLs5W8AAz2Qb?format=png&name=small

LB Gage Goldberg (left) has committed to Colorado.

Apparently was committed to Bama as a preferred walk-on.

247 lists him at 6'0" 210, which is, uh... Undersized for a linebacker.

Supposedly, Jim Harbaugh has told Michigan he'll return in exchange for immunity from being fired for NCAA violations. And $125m.

On 1/16/2024 at 10:21 PM, Robert C said:

In future turmoil news, Ross Bork is leaving A&M to take the Ohio State AD job.  

At first I just sighed and went "another guy failing upward."

But I had forgotten that before TAMU he was the AD at Ole Miss who joined with Freeze in just flat out lying about what the NCAA allegations were in order to fool a recruiting class into signing their NLI and being locked in by the time the real news came out.

In other other news, nobody is ever going to feel sorry for Alabama, but I think Kadyn Proctor just became something like the 22nd player to hit the portal since Saban retired.

2 hours ago, EVA said:

I am straight up not having a good time.

EVA has entered the transfer portal.

I'll admit, I mentioned Alabama players hitting the portal when Saban retired, but I didn't expect it to be this severe.  They may be more depleted at DB by the portal than A&M was.

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Apparently was committed to Bama as a preferred walk-on.

247 lists him at 6'0" 210, which is, uh... Undersized for a linebacker.

Either in a major college program or the performance center, he’s gonna get used to weight rooms real soon

Miami tight end Cam McCormick has been granted a NINTH year of eligibility

He technically had been granted it last year by the NCAA but the ACC had to approve it, which they just did

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

Either in a major college program or the performance center, he’s gonna get used to weight rooms real soon

Unless those weight rooms can make him grow by 4 inches or so, he's still going to be murdered repeatedly by TE's and WR's.  And god help him if an O Lineman comes out to run block. 

But hey, COACH PRIME got his meme commit.

• Like 1

Goldberg's son having a wrestling gimmick eerily similar to "Brian Pillman was an undersized lineman when he played college football" would be something though

hey, maybe Goldbergcito can land on the radar of Colorado School of Mines and then we can get some of the interesting looking players from that team into wrestling.

https://kygo.com/the-colorado-school-of-mines-football-team-goes-viral-for-horrendous-haircuts/

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Goldberg's son having a wrestling gimmick eerily similar to "Brian Pillman was an undersized lineman when he played college football" would be something though

hey, maybe Goldbergcito can land on the radar of Colorado School of Mines and then we can get some of the interesting looking players from that team into wrestling.

https://kygo.com/the-colorado-school-of-mines-football-team-goes-viral-for-horrendous-haircuts/

I won't put up any dissing of the Colorado School of Mines now. Former Brock Lesnar opponent Shane Carwin graduated from there, ya know.

When Mike Goldberg was giving out info on Shane Carwin, one of my first reactions was, "....he graduated from WHERE?" I refused to believe that was a real place of higher education.