DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 11/23 - 11/28/2023

Dolfan in NYC

I’ve only seen Dynamite so far, it was a busy week with a quick trip to NYC followed by a quick trip to Allentown for Thanksgiving proper, and then unwinding over the weekend now that our guests have returned home.

I thought all the matches were very good to excellent. All 3 C2 matches were the tops. Like Gordlow, I was a little disappointed by the lack of an upset (was thinking Briscoe over Mox) and also kind of expected one of the matches to be a draw. Rush and Jay White just beating the shit out of each other ruled. Women’s match was more about angles than wrestling, but Skye won and hopefully will get a title shot against Timeless Toni.

Most of the promos, other than the Toni Storm award segment, were below standard and MJF was pretty awful, just lazy cheap shit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Re: Rampage
Hook v Romero was fine. It does bring to mind the question "How is Hook ever going to get enough reps to meet his potential?' Nice Wheeler Yuta/Shibata video package. This is exactly what they need to be doing more more more of. Diamante v Statlander was mostly solid from what I saw. I like the Mercedes involvement. This seems like the kind of feud Stat's title run needed. Good Daniel Garcia promo. It would have been a bit more effective if he became a little more inspired/positive by the end. Still, these kind of stories are exactly what deserve and require promo time. Kingdom squash/promo segment was solid. That's how you do a squash! Taven would be smart to drop his rotten 'I am' catchphrase. Shibata v Yuta was fine if a bit underwhelming. Yuta's posturing in between moves here seemed a bit silly. Especially considering how badly he was beaten the first time around. Sad to hear Shibata's gonna be gone for awhile with visa issues. 

Re: Collision
I'm always very grateful for the Opening Promo Montage! It's such a fun choice and great preview of the evening. Castignoli v Garcia was a fun opener. Loved Claudio swinging Garcia into the guardrail. Bonus Eddie Kingston promo, sure! Pretty solid Killswitch!!! squash. I like the new name. I also very much dug the Adam Copeland run-in. This Pittsburgh crowd was ready for love. The Adam Copeland promo was a clear cut example of one of the big differences between WWE and AEW. The 'Edge' was a total drip in WWE with his long winded scripted monologues. This 'Adam Copeland' promo was the best I can remember from him. He seemed to be channeling Macho Man '85. It's a small thing, but I love promos directly into the camera. Kommander/Gravity v Matthews/Black was solid stuff. What was up with Bryan Alvarez on WOR burying Gravity over this? Saying everything Gravity did in the match was a botch is a bit or a lot of an overstatement. I saw one pretty harmless botch. Perhaps I missed something. I'm not sure I've seen any Gravity matches that didn't feature a misfire. Action/Top Flight promo was good. I felt kinda emotional seeing young Dante back on my screen. His leg injury was one of the saddest moments of the Wrestling year. I'm really pulling for him and his equally talented brother. Julia Hart v Lady Frost was sort of the usual from the title holding Green Machine. Powerhouse Hobbs/Don Callis promo was excellent. This is a great pairing for Will. FTR v Righteous was solid. Loved the finish. I'm really hoping something better comes along for Dutch. Post match featured more shitty House of Black shenanigans. When was the last time Malakai did a lights out that wasn't fucking lame? Did we really need to mention Punk? I'm not sure who it is assuming the BCC is watching FTR's backs, but uh? Malakai has long been one of the worst promos in the company, and it's a shame considering his potential. Big Bill/Starks promo was kinda great, but also kinda misplaced. First off, having Schiavone hold a mic to interview them while Bill has his own mic made for an awkward visual. As Multiple mics generally do. Multi-mics remind me of bad corporate presentations. Bill's promo was pretty awesome, but why is he talking like a babyface? I'm really not into selling these two as 'singles' wrestlers who barely know each other. They clearly have no cohesion as a team. Drawing attention to that seems like it works to bury all the actual teams with actual chemistry more deserving of the titles. Lee v Lee was pretty fun. Big Keith looked impressive. I fear Taylor not being at ringside or really acknowledged is leading to Keith's next never-will-there-be-an-ending Swerve feud. I really hope not. The Keith Lee promo was also really good. I hope he actually follows up on it rather than take a no mention of his name sabbatical. Eddie Kingston v Brody King was, to no surprise, fuckingfantastic! Great win for Brody. Pretty fun 3 hours. Interesting to see them hardcam from the opposite side. Seemed like a larger attendance than usual. The curse of the Pepsi corporation is over! 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

Random kvetch before next week's thread starts: why were all the commentators referring to Luchasaurus as "Killswitch" on Saturday? Nigel, sure, he's a heel. But why would the face commentators comply with Christian's dictate?

2 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Random kvetch before next week's thread starts: why were all the commentators referring to Luchasaurus as "Killswitch" on Saturday? Nigel, sure, he's a heel. But why would the face commentators comply with Christian's dictate?

wouldn't want a match where Killswitch beats a guy up like the Ali/Ernie Terrell  fight because the opponent kept calling him "Luchasaurus"

40 minutes ago, Octopus said:

35-A34-A27-68-C1-4-C37-BFC5-328-F5828176

You’re trying to hard to hang out with me, Tony. Keep upping the ante 😈

Basically announcing he would only be wrestling on Collision for the next few weeks might now have been the best idea.

Yes, good matches here. The Seat Belt is quite the pinning combination, these past couple of weeks!

Huge win for Brody King, this time, The House did always win! 3-0 for HOB tonight. Now Eddie has to fight from behind if he wants to get to the finals of the league.

Wow, they are getting Swerve vs White out of the way, quickly!

17 hours ago, Gorman said:

Sounds like they did it because it's an official name change. 

That would be kind of unprecedented, wouldn't it? I mean, it's not like Tony Khan's decision-making has ever been flawless. But he typically only shows judgement that poor when he's on Twitter.

On 11/25/2023 at 7:21 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Is Brody winning really an upset? I don't think so, but that's just me. 

Brody needed a win to keep him some what protected and I feel that Kingston needed a loss to keep him a bit of an underdog

This Shane Taylor - Keith Lee feud has me feeling really out of my element, no frame of reference like a child who wandered into the middle of a movie and wants to know whats all the yelling about

• Like 1