DVDVR Message Board

2023-24 NBA SEASON: 1st Half

Dolfan in NYC

Bill Laimbeer has been announced as a finalist for the Hall of Fame for 2024. And, you know what? He deserves to get in.

As a player, 4-time All-Star, 3 Finals appearances, 2 titles, a rebounding title, and first big man who could shoot 3s (held the Finals record for about 5 minutes for 3s).

As a coach, he won 3 titles in the WNBA, made the Finals a fourth time, and was Coach of the Year twice. 

That's a HOF resume. 

4 hours ago, Contentious C said:

Billy Donovan's got to be the guy feeling the hot seat the most.  Practically everyone else on a bad team has changed coaches rather recently, or the team was expected to be bad, and the Bulls have been stinky ever since Lonzo tore up his knee. 

Milwaukee's playing better, but hey, crazy quirk of the schedule and their IST appearance: they've played 8 more home games so far than road.  They could be in for a brutal stretch once that has to even out. 

Bulls are actually kinda surging right now. Won 8 of their last 11, including 7-3 this month. Basically ever since LaVine went down.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tabe said:

Bill Laimbeer has been announced as a finalist for the Hall of Fame for 2024. And, you know what? He deserves to get in.

As a player, 4-time All-Star, 3 Finals appearances, 2 titles, a rebounding title, and first big man who could shoot 3s (held the Finals record for about 5 minutes for 3s).

As a coach, he won 3 titles in the WNBA, made the Finals a fourth time, and was Coach of the Year twice. 

That's a HOF resume. 

I think he should be in the HOF but also that someone should get to cheap shot him when he gets inducted.  Only fair.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

I think he should be in the HOF but also that someone should get to cheap shot him when he gets inducted.  Only fair.

Bill would be OK with that, I'm sure. 

• Like 1

On 12/22/2023 at 6:32 PM, Tabe said:

That's a HOF resume. 

Since he's on the ballot as a player, the coaching details are supposed to be disregarded, but I have a feeling most will keep it in the back of their mind if he's an edge case on their ballots.

I think he's a great argument that scoring isn't the only metric that qualifies a great player. Laimbeer's a case like Dennis Rodman (rebounds first and foremost, great defensive player who often would shut down a team's second option and force the stars to try and win games by themselves) or Manu Ginobili (came off the bench to lead the second unit, used in clutch situations and to clamp down leads), where looking at stats like points per game don't give you a true indication of what he actually brought to a team.

To me, I think Laimbeer should be in. I just don't know if voters are going to look at 12.9 ppg, 9.7 rpg, and 2.0 apg over a career and go "that's a hall of famer", and that's a shame.

Yeah I think Bill would actually have a better shot at getting in as a coach (or even better if both were officially considered together, but that way lies madness apparently) but I'm not sure if a WNBA coach has gotten in yet?

Hell, even the current Aces team that is dominating the wnba were largely developed and got to the brink of the title under him. 

But also he was my very first favorite Piston so I'm not unbiased 

7 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Yeah I think Bill would actually have a better shot at getting in as a coach (or even better if both were officially considered together, but that way lies madness apparently) but I'm not sure if a WNBA coach has gotten in yet?

Van Chancellor would be your answer there, since he was the coach behind the Comets dynasty.

EDIT TO ADD: Of course, there are a few coaches in the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame, but as far as the Naismith, Van Chancellor would be it. Marianne Stanley probably gets a nod too, but she's more in there for her college career and having won the AIAW twice before the NCAA had the women's tournament.

Edited by Sparkleface

17 hours ago, Sparkleface said:

Since he's on the ballot as a player, the coaching details are supposed to be disregarded, but I have a feeling most will keep it in the back of their mind if he's an edge case on their ballots.

I think he's a great argument that scoring isn't the only metric that qualifies a great player. Laimbeer's a case like Dennis Rodman (rebounds first and foremost, great defensive player who often would shut down a team's second option and force the stars to try and win games by themselves) or Manu Ginobili (came off the bench to lead the second unit, used in clutch situations and to clamp down leads), where looking at stats like points per game don't give you a true indication of what he actually brought to a team.

To me, I think Laimbeer should be in. I just don't know if voters are going to look at 12.9 ppg, 9.7 rpg, and 2.0 apg over a career and go "that's a hall of famer", and that's a shame.

I didn't realize they split it like that. Seems silly since they count entire careers and not NBA or whatever. Count the person's entire resume. 

2 minutes ago, Tabe said:

I didn't realize they split it like that. Seems silly since they count entire careers and not NBA or whatever. Count the person's entire resume. 

Yep, the Naismith has splits for players, coaches, referees, and "contributors" (announcers, journalists, et cetera), so it's possible to get inducted multiple times. Bill Russell, for example, is a dual inductee, as a player and a coach.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

I had a dream last night that Detroit ended their streak by failing less against Milwaukee, who put up an all-time stinker on offense. Score in my head was like 83-65.

Clearly one of those 'you can tell you're dreaming' moments.

Sounds like a Going To Work era Pistons game

Marc Lore & Alex Rodriguez are expected to exercise their options to acquire a controlling interest in both the Minnesota Timberwolves and Lynx as soon as today from Glen Taylor.  They have until 12/31 to opt. 

Finally Minneapolis' long national nightmare is ending. 

57 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Marc Lore & Alex Rodriguez are expected to exercise their options to acquire a controlling interest in both the Minnesota Timberwolves and Lynx as soon as today from Glen Taylor.  They have until 12/31 to opt. 

Finally Minneapolis' long national nightmare is ending. 

Thank GAWWD they finally got someone with basketball expertise as an owner.

How long before the Lynx/T-Wolves get nabbed for "The Clear"?

10 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Clayton Crowley, who made the amazing videos about the best player and best team ever candidates I've shared in the past just dropped what might be my favorite YouTube sports video ever

https://youtu.be/c3ey6Xt1oAg?si=iRe_8Ozytg3ImGt_

He fucking nailed it, just like he did with his Bad Boys video. 

The NBA needs to hire him.