DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 7/31 - 8/6/2023

Dolfan in NYC

Watched the Cody Rhodes documentary on Peacock and it was very good.    This would have been a good thing to show the week after WM IF he would have beat Roman this year.   I am sure the thing that people will talk the most online is Triple H basically calling AEW a "secondary company"  and constant references to AEW as "the alternate company"  but there are a lot of other very interesting stories.   The one that really interested in me was how much Cody hated the term "Dusty's kids"; the term that was used to describe all of the stars in NXT by Dusty like Kevin Owens, Roman Reigns, Seth Rollins, and others while Dusty was there.   This term bothered Cody because while these "kids" are getting chances, he was floundering so bad as Stardust that Dusty even told him that if he was so upset just quit.   Cody saying that he was so bothered that at live shows after wrestling he would hang out drinking whiskey covered with Gatorade.    Also of how dealt with the Hell in the Cell match with the torn pec.  Really pushing it like Cody performing was this almost barbaric performance and how the crowd was almost disgusted with it.  

I guess the other thing people will talk about is what Cody meant by "personal reasons" as why he left AEW.   Wasn't about money or a particular wrestler.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hammerva said:

Watched the Cody Rhodes documentary on Peacock and it was very good.    This would have been a good thing to show the week after WM IF he would have beat Roman this year.   I am sure the thing that people will talk the most online is Triple H basically calling AEW a "secondary company"  and constant references to AEW as "the alternate company"  but there are a lot of other very interesting stories.   The one that really interested in me was how much Cody hated the term "Dusty's kids"; the term that was used to describe all of the stars in NXT by Dusty like Kevin Owens, Roman Reigns, Seth Rollins, and others while Dusty was there.   This term bothered Cody because while these "kids" are getting chances, he was floundering so bad as Stardust that Dusty even told him that if he was so upset just quit.   Cody saying that he was so bothered that at live shows after wrestling he would hang out drinking whiskey covered with Gatorade.    Also of how dealt with the Hell in the Cell match with the torn pec.  Really pushing it like Cody performing was this almost barbaric performance and how the crowd was almost disgusted with it.  

I guess the other thing people will talk about is what Cody meant by "personal reasons" as why he left AEW.   Wasn't about money or a particular wrestler.  

@Josh Mann came up with the drinking game.  

Drink whenever someone mentions "the business".   You'll be begging for death in 20 minutes.  (Kind of like his matches.)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

GUNTHER/Gable was fun and mean. It was really surreal to see the erstwhile WALTER smiling. The powerbomb that finished it off was Vader-to-Cactus level. 

Apparently the crowd insists on doing the "whoa-oh-oh" from Rollins' theme all through his matches now like it was "Natural Born Killaz", so that's one more reason for me to not watch a Seth Rollins match. I muted it and turned on a Possessed record instead. Also, man, does the kid Dom have some HEAT. Maybe it's because the spirit of Eddie apparently possessed his hair! 

The match with the green gal and Valkyrie was pathetically bad. I enjoy watching Sarah and everything but this wasn't even worth that. The turd cherry on top was old girl attempting the Worm. Phew... so, so bad. 

Shayna has reminded me, facially, of someone that I haven't been able to put my finger on for awhile now, and I finally figured it out. She looks like the daughter of Minoru Suzuki. 

• Like 1

Riddle/Kaiser built into something nice by the end. Kind of surprised Kaiser got a more or less clean win.

Maxxine/Valhalla was not good though Maxxine busting out the damn Japanese Ocean Cyclone Suplex was an interesting surprise. That was so damn random. I a'm guessing Blair Davenport taught it to her.

The Judgement Day promo leading to a Rhea/Raquel brawl was nice. 

What I caught of Nakamura/Ciampa seemed solid but I was distracted by my food.

Gable/Gunther built into something good with the Beat the Clock setup and restart. I only wish wish they got an actual IC title match on a bigger stage. Have to say the post match segment has me worried Drew might actually win at Summerslam which would suck so much. 

The Becky segment leading to the quick bs match with Trish and subsequent brawl/beatdown worked decently well overall. Still feels weird to see them push this match up and then past Summerslam. I assume they either expect a better reaction in Canada or they wanted to avoid overstuffing Summerslam. Feels like it deserves to be on the show over Shayna/Ronda, but I also kind of wish they would actually let Trish's nose heal up before doing said match. 

Judgement Day vs. Seth/Sami was pretty fun with the chaotic beginning an dsimilarly chaotic ending. 

Most of WWE men's belts are black leathered (Roman's blue belt will be eventually retired at some point, both old belts Heyman wears are just decoration). All Women's titles are white. The North American title is brown leathered. The Undisputed WWE tags are blue and red leathered.

From reading old news (beltbydan too) so far seems they aborted or delayed changing the Undisputed WWE tags twice so far, will they change those after the sale/merge? Who knows? Whatever.

I slept through almost all of NXT (big dinner) but woke up at the very end of the main and heard what, until I rewound it, I swore Booker said:

"SHUCKY DUCKY QUACK QUACK, MOBY DICK!!!"

He didn't say "Moby Dick" after I read the subtitles but thinking it was that was really fucking funny. 

Jacy/Lyra seemed solid though it felt off from the build it had. Lyra was lacking some needed aggression taking into accounts the brawls they had before including the one that started right before the match.

Thought Dragon Lee's segment with Dom was alright. Looking forward to that match though I wish they saved it for a PLE or special.

Dijak/Thorpe was pretty decent and probably Eddy's best normal match showing yet.

Leon/Feroz vs. Elektra/Lola was nice while it lasted but too short and had questionable winners. Now felt like the time they really should have given Leon and Feroz the win coming off some momentum from GAB. 

Wasn't expecting them to have Trick break away from Melo somewhat to continue the feud with Ilja. I dug how they handled it. I like the idea of Trick needing to find some success on his own and Ilja being the person who has fired him up.

Melo/Wes vs. Dar/Mensah was good. Dug Wes showing more aggression. Also thought they did well showing the tension between Wes and Melo without ever really entering some can they work together aspect. Wes/Melo is another match that feels like they should be waiting for a special or PLE to do. 

Corbin/Chase was decent. More about the story of Thea on the outside clearly being angry with Chase for throwing in the towel on her behalf at GAB. Not sure where this one goes. 

Tony/Stacks/Santos vs. Gallus was solid. Was nice seeing Escobar called in to help as backup despite the history between them. The crowd loved seeing him back and the match was pretty fun overall with Santos getting in just enough to please the crowd while still taking somewhat of a backseat to Tony and Stacks.

• Like 1

Wasn't all there mentally for the first half of Smackdown due to food.

Didn't get enough of a feel for Sheamus/Knight. Looked like things got rushed a bit and messy due to that fall off the top for Knight and Sheamus. Was at least happy to see Knight get a big win.

Similarly wasn't there enough to get a feel for Brutes/Club. Street Profits interfering was surprising. I assume this was supposed to be a heel turn though every loves the Profits and Lashley enough that I don't think it will quite work out that way. Curious if this is a restart of the hurt Business. Whatever the plan is I don;t quite mind it as I think Ford and Dawkins have needed a bit of refresh, particular if there are no plans for a Ford singles run yet.

Thought the promo vids building up the Women's title match for Summerslam were generally good showcases of the different personalities from each women. 

Theory/Grimes was decent while it lasted. Wish Grimes won, but I thought it all played out well enough in building for Theory/Santos next week.

The Waller Effect leading into Zelina/Io was kind of neat. Was good to see Shotzi's return get a decent reaction. Was not happy to see Zelina win though also not super surprised. Still I thought Io needed this much more.

Jey/Solo built into something good and the post match brawl was a good moment for Jey. Will be interesting to see how Tribal Combat plays out tomorrow.

Not a great episode wrestling wise with only Jey/Solo lacking shenanigans. Still said match was good and the build for Summerslam and other feuds was decent.