DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2023 - 1ST HALF

Dolfan in NYC

None of these are officially official yet but the expectations for next year's international games are

• Phillies/Mets - London
  • Astros/Rockies - Mexico
  • Dodgers/Giants - South Korea (this series will open the season)

All of them are 2 game series with each team getting the chance to be the home team

In the thread is the actual video of Flaherty being the "unless you wrestled, you can't talk about wrestling" guy

(The thread also notes that the Cardinals noticed his velocity dipping and checking on him during the game to make sure he wasn't hurt)

I would say Buzz Bissinger should write a follow up book on this Cardinals season but then I would have to read another Buzz Bissinger book

• Like 2

As hinted at a couple of posts ago in a tweet

The As have now signed a different land agreement for their stadium in Vegas

This one will be directly on the Strip at the current site of the Tropicana hotel

Apparently the new site will require less public funding (first site was estimate to cost the public $500 million, new one "only" $395 million)

The hope is that by reducing their ask on public funding by $105MM, their proposal will be more palatable whenever it’s formally put in front of the Nevada legislature.

My favorite dumb MLB rule showed up today

The Yankees beat the As 11-3

Deivi Garcia got a save because he pitched the last 3 innings

speaking of rules, I got to see this happen in a 9-1 Royals win.

Bottom of the 6th, Royals up 7-1. Runners on 2nd and 3rd with 2 outs. Groundball to 3rd base. Both runners break, the third baseman opts to tag out Salvador Perez (the runner going from 2nd to 3rd) instead of attempting to force out the batter going to 1st. The runner going from 3rd to home crosses before the tag was applied. 8-1 game and the 6th inning is over.

A video of the tag play (took until the commercial break ended for them to mention that Vinnie scored before the tag): https://bdata-producedclips.mlb.com/7b2ccf25-ca94-40f1-a25f-bf003d21a3ea.mp4

Edited by Cobra Commander

The Kenley Jansen experience got his 400th save last night

7th player in history to reach that mark

Craig Kimbrel should be the 8th player in the upcoming weeks (he needs 3 more saves)

You can probably guess from the answers in this graphic which one of these Royals had a dad in the majors

although Bobby Witt the pitcher was pretty much done in the majors when Bobby Witt Jr was born

okay, Matt Duffy wanting to be a journalist as a kid sorta sticks out too

If you are a Junior, do they only call you that in sports if your dad was a pro athlete? 

If ohtani was a junior but his dad was a salaryman, would it matter, as opposed to if his dad had played for the Nippon Ham Fighters or Yakult Swallows, when he would be? 

5 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

If you are a Junior, do they only call you that in sports if your dad was a pro athlete? 

If ohtani was a junior but his dad was a salaryman, would it matter, as opposed to if his dad had played for the Nippon Ham Fighters or Yakult Swallows, when he would be? 

Jackie Bradley Jr is on the Royals and his dad was a bus driver. So I guess it depends on what you're used to being called. Jackie Bradley Jr does sorta flow smoothly although maybe it's due to familarity.

On 5/9/2023 at 11:40 AM, Craig H said:

So my group of Cubs friends all had that moment of WTF when the Cubs didn't even try to keep Willson, but then we laughed at the Cards signing him. One of us asked at the time, "did the Cardinals suddenly become dumb?" And then we went on figuring the Cards would just run away with the division anyway.

Turns out that yes, the Cardinals became very dumb and signing Willson was like the canary in the coal mine for that team. They went to replace one of the best catchers of all time with a bat first catcher who was the worst or one of the worst pitch framers in the league and all of his pitchers throwing to him weren't great. It was a recipe for a disaster. Now that alone is a fucking delight because fuck them Cardinals. But everything else on top of that? Like the manager repeatedly throwing the team under the bus? I mean...you love to see it.

I'm sure somewhere @piranesi is like, yeah, this team is crazy stupid now and there's no point in bothering with them. I'd also wager that at least half of the "BEST FANS IN BASEBALL" want Palpatine back.

I think it's not that they suddenly became dumb but that the dumb guy, John Mozeliak, suddenly, about two years ago with everyone who ever stood up to him finally gone, is totally in control for the first time. His coach. His prospects. His signings. His style. His vision. A coaching staff that just takes orders and a press corps that had long ago forgotten what it's like to write about a loser and sees him as his past results (holding the old core together just long enough to keep making the playoffs all decade in a weak division).

But two years into Queen Cersei's full reign and here we are. the 1950s cardinals. The 1970s cardinals. now the 2020s cardinals.

• Like 3

In a follow up tweet - you see that Rockies pitcher Jake Bird started taunting Harper and/or the Phillies dugout which is what set things off

On 5/10/2023 at 10:54 AM, RIPPA said:

As hinted at a couple of posts ago in a tweet

The As have now signed a different land agreement for their stadium in Vegas

This one will be directly on the Strip at the current site of the Tropicana hotel

Apparently the new site will require less public funding (first site was estimate to cost the public $500 million, new one "only" $395 million)

Looks like the A's are going to the Strip... Details are as above, though also, it will be a partially retractable roof stadium with a 30,000(!) seat stadium.  This will make it - by far - the smallest capacity stadium in the majors.  

MLB approval is pending. 

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Boy oh boy did the Toronto announcers dance all around the words "Judge is cheating" during the game yesterday. 

Judge says he was looking at the dugout because they were chirping about balls and strikes. LOL. Sure thing, Aaron. 

The internet noticed that Angel Hernandez hasn't umped a game since April 3

The NY Post says it is due to a back injury

MLB only says it is a "medical matter"

But if you were wondering why things haven't been fucked up - that's why