DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - SPRING 2023

Dolfan in NYC

File under "Yup, that's Concacaf"

Honduras were supposed to have a friendly against Grenada over the weekend in Louisiana, but Honduras players forced their federation to call it off because of an unsafe field and bad accommodations.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/international-soccer-match-cancelled-officials-say/article_ef276c62-0e03-11ee-bc44-6f2ed68d04ac.html

I was going to joke they should just treat it like a field in Grenada but yeah, it looks pretty much like a high school "stadium" and probably unsafe/unproductive to play on.

29 minutes ago, SirFozzie said:

and going back to that jackhole FA Cup fan (The Man U fan with the offensive to Liverpool tragedy shirt), he's already pleaded guilty, fined a thousand pounds, and banned from attending games for four years.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/jun/19/manchester-united-fan-pleads-guilty-offensive-football-shirt-fa-cup-final

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/800/cpsprodpb/E8E8/production/_130142695_c44c9ae2-8cdc-484e-bd70-2c0785dcb8ef.jpg.webp

James White, 33. Fucker laughed in the dock as well. Scumbag should have been jailed as well even with a guilty plea. Twat.

• Like 1

Diego Cocca is out as Mexico manager. The FMF must have been PISSED the 3rd place game vs Panama drew flies. Although to be fair to him, he wasn’t the biggest problem. There’s no real talent pool in Mexico compared to USMNT, and the FMF is corrupt as hell and plays favorites, which explains Memo Ochoa’s corpse constantly trotted out at GK.

On 6/7/2023 at 12:54 PM, Chaos said:

I know Tata Martino has expressed interest in returning to MLS, and there's the Josef Martinez connection. I have no clue how Messi would feel about him. 

Speaking of former Mexican national team managers, we'll circle back here, and let you know that Tata has been hired  (allegedly at Messi's request) to manage Inter Miami. 

• Like 1

On 6/19/2023 at 1:03 PM, cubbymark said:

Diego Cocca is out as Mexico manager. The FMF must have been PISSED the 3rd place game vs Panama drew flies. Although to be fair to him, he wasn’t the biggest problem. There’s no real talent pool in Mexico compared to USMNT, and the FMF is corrupt as hell and plays favorites, which explains Memo Ochoa’s corpse constantly trotted out at GK.

The 3rd Place Match and Final tickets were sold as a Double-Header, so a whole lot of Mexico fans that bought tickets decided to eat their money out of spite.  

The FMF and Mexican soccer in general is a dumpster fire - the folks that hired Cocca were already gone, so he was always going to have a short leash.  And as a USMNT fan that's had batteries/cups of "beer"/loaded diapers thrown at me and Osama chants in Estadio Azteca, all of this chaos suits me just fine.

(I've been Mexico City three time and gone to the Azteca more than I have Arena Mexico *and* Arena Coliseo.  Pete, I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I agreed to hang out when you came down into DC that one weekend.)

• Haha 1

Poland. Good enough to beat Germany on friday (albeit in a friendly), and then bad enough to lose to Moldova (171st ranked Moldova at that) in a Euro qualifier/

Entering this game, Moldova had won ONE Euro or WC qualifier game since 2013 (in 2019)

Edited by SirFozzie

The game was eventually restarted. Scotland won 2-0.

In other Euro 2024 qualifying news, Cristiano Ronaldo scored a late winner against Iceland in his 200th international for Portugal.

Moldova (ranked 171st in the world) came back from 2-0 down to record a shocking 3-2 win over Poland.