DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News 2023

Elsalvajeloco

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

Didn't watch but reading here and pbp, Francis Ngannou was robbed with Tyson Fury getting away with one. Fury knocked down along the way.

i watched live (very rare for me for boxing matches). i scored it a draw 96-96 but don't watch a ton of boxing so not perfect on seeing what judges see. Fury winning is no surprise, even during the fight. very dxciting and glad i was able to catch it tonight.

honestly, this is probably the best outcome for all parties:

Ngannou. took the undisputed best to a close decision. his next fight (regardless if this is mma or boxing) adds a ton of credibility. especially with the knockdown

Fury. beat the best that MMA has to offer and adds to his credibility. still undefeated. 

Usyk. adds intrigue to his upcoming title fight (does this still happen in december?) and potentially more ppv buys.

• Like 1

In one of the papers today, it was pointed out that if Fury vs Usyk still happens, both World Champions will be coming off a match they should have lost. Between Fury getting a gift decision, and Usyk getting KOed by a body shot, but then it being ruled a low blow (it wasn't) and given 4 minutes to recover.

Still burns me up that UFC had Francis Ngannou as their champion and essentially iced and chased him out of the organization. Bad business. 

Dana White may have helped get UFC to where it is now, but now he's doing more harm to the organization than good. He's failed in keeping the top stars happy and failed to capitalize on big, major fights when they are available. Not to mention he slapped his own wife in public. He needs to be ousted already. It's an utter joke he's still in charge.

Dana White needs to be out of the UFC already. It's an absolute joke he is still in charge. 

You know what burns me up? The fact you don't know what thread to post in and then for whatever reason expounded in the thread you're suppose to post in. I had to not only move it but also merge it cause you do not think. Are you drunk?

1. I thought we went over this. Short of some debauchery the likes the world has never seen, Dana really isn't going anywhere unless he decides to.

2. Most of these decisions he mostly likely didn't make on his own. If you know Ari Emanuel, you can tell he has his fingerprints on a lot of stuff. Dana is basically just his minion. Once Dana is gone, he will be replaced with another minion who will do Ari's bidding and also be the scapegoat.

3. Since you're this unhappy, you should write them (Endeavor or whatever conglomerate group they're called now) a strongly worded letter. That should do the trick.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like we're getting a "super" card in Saudi Arabia on 12/23 top lined by Anthony Joshua vs. Otto Wallin. The co-feature will be the returning Deontay Wilder vs. Joseph Parker. Additional matches on the card will be Daniel Dubois vs. Jarrell Miller and Filip Hrgovic vs. Mark De Mori. An official announcement is expected tomorrow.

• 1 month later...
49 minutes ago, waffle said:

Inoue looked awesome. 2023 Boxer of the Year. 

I wouldn't have any issue with Bud winning even it was only one fight during the calendar year. He beat another P4P guy convincingly. That said, Inoue beat Fulton and Tapales. That's two very good fighters. Hell, Fulton was probably on his way to being a P4P list member had Inoue not derailed that train.

Had the decision over Lomachenko not been a bit controversial, Haney would easily be on the shortlist.

• Like 1

Crawford is IMO the best boxer on the planet right now but I just can't get past my personal bias over guys that have only 1 fight in a calendar year. Which I realize these days is damn near everyone that's a top guy it seems. Honestly one of the most frustrating things about modern boxing.

• Like 1