DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News 2023

Elsalvajeloco

Screenshot_20230329_221044_com.instagram

Davis vs. Garcia
April 22, 2023
Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Gervonta Davis (135.1) vs. Ryan Garcia (135.5) - Davis, KO (body shot), R7 (1:44)
WBA World Super Middleweight Championship: David Morrell © (167.75) vs. Yamaguchi Falcão (166.4) - Morrell, KO (right hook), R1 (2:22)
Bektemir Melikuziev (167.3) vs. Gabriel Rosado (167.3) - Melikuziev, DEC (unanimous)
Elijah Garcia (159.2) vs. Kevin Salgado (159.3) - Garcia, DEC (unanimous)

YouTube / Untelevised Preliminary Card:
Fiodor Cherkashyn (158.9) vs. Elias Espadas (159.1) - Cherkashyn, TKO (referee stoppage), R9 (2:07)
Vito Mielnicki Jr. (153.3) vs. Jose Charles (154.3) - Mielnicki Jr., KO (straight right), R4 (0:33)
Floyd Schofield (134.8) vs. Jesus Valentin Leon (134) - Schofield, KO (left hook and straight right), R2 (1:51)
Jalil Hackett (154.3) vs. Jason Phillips (153) - Hackett, TKO (referee stoppage), R3 (2:20)
Lorenzo Simpson vs. Pachino Hill - Simpson, DEC (unanimous)
Cuttino Oliver vs. Roberto Cantu Pena - Oliver, TKO (referee stoppage), R3

Attendance: 20,842
Gate: $22.8 million
Buyrate: 1.2 million

3 minutes ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

I really can't see any scenario other than Garcia getting knocked loopy by the first few solid shots Davis hits him with

That's what I am thinking, but Tank has the habit of fighting down to the level of his opponent sometimes. Someone like Isaac Cruz is much better than advertised and a tough style matchup for finesse fighters, but Tank didn't have as much separation from him in terms of doing the better work as I would like.

The biggest question for me is how good is Ryan Garcia really? He's been super protected (probably to his detriment), but he's skilled enough to where this doesn't seem like an absolute mismatch on paper.

Do I expect Tank to win? Yes. Am I convinced that Ryan Garcia is a phony? Not really.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The question is why we felt Loma was past it to begin with other than inactivity (which is the norm in boxing now) and the fact he's had a million amateur fights prior to his pro career?

I felt he would still have something left, but that Haney would just be a bit bigger and stronger. Loma's fights follow a certain pattern where he will look strong after the first few rounds then kinda fade in/give away the middle rounds before making a surge in the last quarter of the fight. Last night did follow that template with the caveat that Haney's body work didn't discourage Lomachenko as you would expect. Haney was hitting him with some SOLID shots to the body, and outside the rounds Haney was winning, Loma wasn't phased at all. 

This is where you should be concerned about Haney's power. If he couldn't do anything to a much smaller man with older legs, I doubt he is about to run roughshod over lightweight and super lightweight/junior welterweight.

I only felt Loma was fading due to him taking rounds off. And fighting in small spurts but I should give him the benefit of the doubt since he had the bum shoulder against Teo. Haney really needed to make a statement last night. He is very good since most Lightweights would have lost last night but from the eye test he is behind Shakur and Tank to me. Haney is off to 140 now. Wonder how long Loma sticks around

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SirFozzie said:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/may/27/chris-billam-smith-lawrence-okolie-boxing-wbo-cruiserweight-title-bournemouth

Only in boxing would someone be knocked down three times, be given TWO point deductions for illegal tactics, and get a draw on one ridiculous scorecard (the other two had it comfortably for the opponent)

I’d say [don king] Only In America [/don king] but … 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

Only thing worse than the decision was Kambosos calling out Shakur after the fight.  He has no prayer

I know it's probably cause the Top Rank stable is mostly made up of prospects now like Keyshawn Davis, Tiger Johnson, Jared Anderson in the absence of Crawford and guys like Beterbiev and Fury fighting sparingly, but it's weird for a guy like Kambosos who is technically promoted by someone else to keep getting fights on Top Rank shows. IF the main purpose of this isn't to feed him to Shakur Stevenson, then it would be a complete waste of time. To be honest, outside of alphabet title bullshit, I don't see why last Saturday wasn't Stevenson vs. Kambosos. The Maxi Hughes fight, if the Haney fights didn't do it, just exposed Kambosos as a one hit wonder. If anything, you would want Kambosos to be considered at least a semi threat to an elite fighter. Coming off last Saturday, would anyone be shocked if Stevenson stopped Kambosos?

Anyway, for all the mediocre stuff Top Rank has had on their slate recently, at least we got a super quality fight on paper with Stephen Fulton vs. Naoya Inoue. On the same week as Crawford vs. Spence, no less.

• Like 1