DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News 2023

Elsalvajeloco

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, J.T. said:

What are everyone's thoughts about Fury vs. Ngannou on 28 October?

My thoughts...

It would be fucking awesome if Francis won.

But Anderson Silva lost a boxing match to Jake Paul so I no longer believe a god will allow us such happiness.

13 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

My thoughts...

It would be fucking awesome if Francis won.

But Anderson Silva lost a boxing match to Jake Paul so I no longer believe a god will allow us such happiness.

Jake Paul is also young enough to be Anderson's son. Vitor Belfort beat up almost 60 year old Evander Holyfield. Freak show fights are going to be just that.

Based on the fights Fury has had since the last fight with Wilder, I don't think he has any interest in taking anymore difficult fights at this stage of his career.

8 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I don't think he has any interest in taking anymore difficult fights at this stage of his career.

I don't know if you saw him with his shirt off at the last face off...but I would say you're on to something here.

4 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

I don't know if you saw him with his shirt off at the last face off...but I would say you're on to something here.

To be fair, even in awful shape, he probably can beat most top HWs fairly easily by just boxing. He wasn't ever Mr. Olympia.

That said, he's at a point where we may see precipitous decline in overall skill. Guys like Mayweather and Canelo can be skilled fighters over several years cause they never had a bunch of bad habits. Fury has battled weight mismanagement and drug use for years. You can't do that forever.

1 hour ago, jaedmc said:

Honestly, Fury coming into this fight with a little more flab(compared to the Wilder fights) does more to sell this match than any shit talking.

The curiosity factor is the only thing that sells this. Beyond that, it isn't much to work with.

At with Mayweather vs. McGregor, you that along with the groundswell of ardent McGregor fans who refuse to believe he didn't have a chance. There are folks who probably think Ngannou could win but only if (a) Fury is just so out of shape and past it and (b) walks right into a punch by just being generally careless. That's really ideal if you want casuals to care. Yeah, I expect there to be decent interest but not next level interest.

Just seen Zhilei Zhang vs Joe Joyce 2. What a right hook punch by Zhang and the smacking sound from it. That puts down a lot of heavyweights. No wonder Big Bang is his nickname. That 40 year old has power.

Edited by The Natural

28 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Just seen Zhilei Zhang vs Joe Joyce 2. What a right hook punch by Zhang and the smacking sound from it. That puts down a lot of heavyweights. No wonder Big Bang is his nickname. That 40 year old has power.

JuggerNotAnymore.

...to better cushion his fall to the mat?

Unfortunately for Joyce, for some fans, this is gonna be a bit of a confirmation bias. I think a lot of people pegged him as being already too old, too slow, and too inefficient to really do anything. The Dubois win was his shining moment. Even though we got multiple titles, he got the short end of the stick cause the ABCs are not really going to make certain guys defend their belts when they already have fights set up. Without the HBOs of the world, a guy like him is not going to make any money sitting on the sidelines waiting. He fought the wrong guy and then decided for some reason to fight him again. Those are the breaks.

After a long lay off, one of my favorite pass times has returned: watching the guy who has to hold Francis Ngannou's pads during workouts. 3 minutes in, he let's out a grunty "Yes, sir" that let's you know that there can never be enough padding.

4 hours ago, jaedmc said:

After a long lay off, one of my favorite pass times has returned: watching the guy who has to hold Francis Ngannou's pads during workouts. 3 minutes in, he let's out a grunty "Yes, sir" that let's you know that there can never be enough padding.

I believe the pad holder would be Dewey Cooper, who Sean Strickland made some very intriguing and eye opening comments about some months ago regarding his training of Marvin Vettori. I never heard someone be as candid and scathing yet somehow clear minded in a critique of a trainer. That's saying a lot considering it is Sean Strickland. It is like he did not want to bash him, but it had been playing on his mind for awhile so he had to let it go. I suggest checking out the video of that.

45 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I believe the pad holder would be Dewey Cooper, who Sean Strickland made some very intriguing and eye opening comments about some months ago regarding his training of Marvin Vettori. I never heard someone be as candid and scathing yet somehow clear minded in a critique of a trainer. It is like he did not want to bash him, but it had been playing on his mind for awhile so he had to let it go. I suggest checking out the video of that.

I missed that. It's very odd. Sean and Francis both work with Nicksick at Xtreme Couture, and Nicksick and Cooper corner Francis together. It sounds like they're still working together leading up to this Fury fight. According to Nicksick in an interview after the Adesanya win, Francis has mostly been working with a boxing coach out of France and Dewey. And I guess, more recently, Mike Tyson for youtube videos.

And when Strickland made those comments, it seemed like Vettori was doing the same thing as Ngannou, working with both coaches. So I don't know what that drama is, but it sounds like there had to have been an awkward conversation not long after. Though, if we're being honest, every conversation with Sean is kinda awkward.

• Like 1

Canelo vs. Charlo

Canelo vs. Charlo 
September 30, 2023
Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

WBA Super World/WBC/IBF/WBO Super Middleweight Championship: Saúl Álvarez © (167.4) vs. Jermell Charlo (167.4) - Álvarez, DEC (unanimous)
- WBA Super World (sixth defense)
- WBC (sixth defense)
- IBF (third defense)
- WBO (fifth defense)

Erickson Lubin (153.4) vs. Jesus Ramos (153.4) - Lubin, DEC (unanimous)
Interim WBC Welterweight Championship: Yordenis Ugas (147) vs. Mario Barrios (146.8) - Barrios, DEC (unanimous)
Elijah Garcia (159.6) vs. Armando Resendiz (159.6) - Garcia, TKO (referee stoppage), R8 (1:23)

Youtube Preliminary Card:
Frank Sanchez (241.6) vs. Scott Alexander (217.8) - Sanchez, TKO (corner retirement), R4 (3:00)
Terrell Gausha (162.4) vs. KeAndrae Leatherwood (162) - Gausha, DEC (majority)
Oleksandr Gvozdyk (174.3) vs. Isaac Rodrigues (183.2) - Gvozdyk, KO (straight right), R2 (0:54)

Untelevised Preliminary Card:
Justin Viloria (129.6) vs. Angel Barrera (132) - Viloria, DEC (unanimous)
Curmel Moton (127.6) vs. Ezequiel Flores (127.2) - Moton, TKO (referee stoppage), R1 (1:48)
Bek Nurmaganbet (169.8) vs. Abimbola Osundairo (169.6) - Nurmaganbet, TKO (referee stoppage), R3 (1:40)
Abilkhan Amankul (162.4) vs. Joeshon James (162.2) - DRAW (majority)
Gabriel Valenzuela (141.6) vs. Yeis Solano (142) - Valenzuela, KO (three knockdowns), R6 (2:33)

Attendance:
Gate: