DVDVR Message Board

2023 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

I'm guessing this will be a bigger story over the next few days since the video got out.

https://www.tmz.com/2023/01/02/dana-white-wife-drunk-fight-slap-new-years-eve-nightclub-cabo/?adid=social-twa

Dana White and his wife got physical with each other on New Year's Eve, stunning onlookers in a crowded Cabo San Lucas nightclub ... an incident Dana says was, regretfully, fueled by booze.

The UFC honcho and Anne White, who've been married for 26 years, were celebrating Saturday night with friends in El Squid Roe ... but things took a turn shortly after they all welcomed in 2023 at midnight.

The couple and their group were in a VIP area above the dance floor, and when Dana leaned over to say something to Anne ... she reacted by slapping him across the face. Dana immediately slapped her back in the face, before friends jumped in and pulled them apart -- and it all played out in plain view of patrons down below.

Eyewitnesses in the club tell TMZ Sports ... Dana and Anne both seemed heavily intoxicated prior to the violence, and the video seems to bear that out, because things went from zero to 100 in an instant -- seemingly for no reason. Further, we're told the conflict was all over in less than a minute.

We spoke to Dana about the incident, and he admits he and Anne had been drinking heavily -- but quickly adds that's no excuse for him getting physical. He told us, "You've heard me say for years, 'There's never ever an excuse for a guy to put his hands on a woman,' and now here I am on TMZ talking about it."

He says he's embarrassed by this "horrible" incident, and he and Anne have apologized to each other. He says they're "good," but their biggest concern now is for their 3 kids ... with whom they've already discussed the fight.

Meanwhile, Anne tells TMZ Sports ... "Dana and I have been married for almost 30 years. To say this is out of character for him is an understatement -- nothing like this has ever happened before. Unfortunately, we were both drinking too much on New Year’s Eve and things got out of control, on both sides. We’ve talked this through as a family and apologized to each other. I just hope people will respect our privacy for the sake of our kids."

• Sad 1

• RIPPA pinned this topic
57 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Power Slap is dead, and Dana White is gone from the UFC by the end of the week if not the end of the day.

Nobody thought Vince McMahon would be canned in 2022 and the same for Dana White in 2023. 

Edited by The Natural

4 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Power Slap is dead, and Dana White is gone from the UFC by the end of the week if not the end of the day.

Sadly, the situation with Damar Hamlin is providing the sports coverage media smokescreen that is diverting attention away from his marital incident.   Any other week and this would've been the lead on ESPN Sportscenter.  If Rogan and White can be uncharacteristically quiet and humble for a couple of weeks, Dana may survive this.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, J.T. said:

Sadly, the situation with Damar Hamlin is providing the sports coverage media smokescreen that is diverting attention away from his marital incident.   Any other week and this would've been the lead on ESPN Sportscenter.  If Rogan and White can be uncharacteristically quiet and humble for a couple of weeks, Dana may survive this.

You might be right, but damn. I mean Dana White has fired people for less than this. 

Well, this will definitely take precedent over the Dana White story you would think:

https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/ufc/report-ufc-veteran-phil-baroni-arrested-in-mexico-for-allegedly-murdering-his-girlfriend/

UFC and PRIDE veteran Phil Baroni has been arrested in Mexico for allegedly murdering his girlfriend, according to multiple reports.

The Tribuna De La Bahia, a Mexican outlet, reported on Tuesday that Baroni allegedly killed his girlfriend inside their hotel room. The report states that Baroni was under the influence of alcohol and drugs.

When the police arrived on the scene, the officers saw the woman lying naked on a bed covered with a bed sheet. However, there were marks of beatings and bruises on her face and she was pronounced dead on the scene.

Baroni allegedly told the police it was around 3 p.m. when he started to smoke marijuana and drink a beer in his room when the two got into an argument. During the argument, Baroni’s girlfriend reportedly told him that she was having sexual relations with another man. After that, the former UFC fighter threw his girlfriend into the shower and she hit her head on the ground.

As Phil Baroni’s girlfriend was trying to get up, ‘NYBA’ did help her up and then put her on the bed. He proceeded to remove her clothes and put a bed sheet on top of her. According to the report, Baroni’s girlfriend then asked for a cigarette and a beer so he left the room to get it and by the time he returned, he noticed his girlfriend had no vitals.

The report states that Baroni was arrested for homicide. A full investigation is now underway to determine the exact cause of death.

• Sad 3

11 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

nah. Dana White owned up to the whole thing, took responsibility, and put out a pretty nice apology. With the whole thing lasting only a matter of seconds, i don't see much coming out of this. Unless there IS more and we get a police report filed or something, this will blow over pretty quickly.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, twiztor said:

nah. Dana White owned up to the whole thing, took responsibility, and put out a pretty nice apology. With the whole thing lasting only a matter of seconds, i don't see much coming out of this. Unless there IS more and we get a police report filed or something, this will blow over pretty quickly.

He could still be "punished", but at worst, I only see him taking a few weeks off which what he does occasionally already. If his wife didn't put out a statement immediately, it would not be good.

I'm guessing Dana knew this would come out and had this prepared. 

13 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I recall Phil Baroni was married. Does anyone know what happened to his first wife? 

Guessing they split. I cannot remember the last time I heard about Baroni. I think the last time was when he got that gnarly injury in ONE and that was years ago now.

The first I heard of the Baroni arrest was in a Josh Barnett tweet where he merely said “the Baroni situation” and then talked about how he only booked Baroni for Bloodsport once because he had obvious CTE symptoms.

Lead me to think he’d had a DUI or a vehicle collision or something. Not afucking murder. 

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Jake Paul has signed with the PFL

https://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/35384175/jake-paul-signing-pfl-influencer-makes-move-mma

The PFL says it is a multiyear, multifight deal

That's good for PFL, but I think barring a miracle, that kills any chance of a Jake Paul-Nate Diaz fight if there ever was one. I mean right after Nate's last fight, I pretty much stated that there isn't as much money fighting Jake Paul as some believe especially based on what Nate probably has already made in the UFC his last few fights. And guess what? Nate's rep just said that fight isn't even one they're considering. That's why it's hilarious that Jake is taking about the fighters having a union. He made this whole big deal about UFC releasing Nate Diaz, and he couldn't even get Nate enough money to make it enticing to fight him.

My issue (and that might not even be the right word) is that Jake needs someone to foot the bill for his fights, and I don't know if that's good when he wants to make people believe his popularity subsidizes the entire event. He's not an Oscar De La Hoya in his prime popular or even late era Mike Tyson level popular. As a niche attraction, he ain't even Kimbo. Jake's fights are built around some weird curiosity, which based on the commercial failure of the Anderson Silva fight appears to be waning. He has fought enough where people realize that he's good for someone who has virtually no background in combat sports, but as a real fighter, he hasn't convinced anyone he is one. He's so desperately trying to prove that along with his movement to help fighters get better pay to the point where he has too much on his plate. I think that's partly killing some of the curiosity around him as well. Yes, it makes all the sense in the world a guy advocating for better pay shows no allegiance to just one platform. However, it's tough to maintain popularity as a fighter if you go from DAZN to Triller to Showtime PPV to now ESPN PPV to perhaps other independent platforms in the future all within a few years. He isn't good enough as a fighter to justify people (meaning fans and potential fans) going from platform to platform with him especially with no singular goal in mind. He wants to fight Canelo then he wants Nate Diaz then he's still talking about Tyson Fury's half brother and then this and that guy. None of this is intriguing to anyone. Manny Pacquiao when Top Rank/Bob Arum briefly had a beef with HBO and Floyd Mayweather weren't even popular enough to get people to jump to Showtime when they moved there. Mike Tyson was, but that was AFTER he had been prison for a few years and still a super duper star. The McNeeley fight did crazy business on Showtime PPV (then SET) and the Buster Mathis Jr. fight did a big rating on Fox. Jake Paul ain't that. He's going to bring some curiosity with him to his PFL fights, people are going to get their fill, and he will move on to something else. That's what history indicates.

• Like 1

John Morgan just confirmed with a UFC representative the show is going to debut on TBS on January 18.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JohnMorgan_MMA/status/1611104219876188160

And Okamoto just tweeted basically with the addendum that no one from TBS has commented on it.

29 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Yeah, Dana White isn't getting out of this.

There is a good chance he still Houdinis himself out of this just on the basis that he is the figurehead guy with somehow no one over him.

3 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

There is a good chance he still Houdinis himself out of this just on the basis that he is the figurehead guy with somehow no one over him.

You know what happened to Harry Houdini right? 

• Haha 3