DVDVR Message Board

2023 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

16 minutes ago, twiztor said:

was Whittaker-Costa previously booked for a different event, or am i thinking of another matchup?

It was supposed to be for the UFC 284 Australia Card(Islam vs. Volk 1). It was canceled because of Costa and his weirdness. Costa claims he never agreed to the fight despite it being announced. I was a little surprised when Whittaker, who wanted to get on this card, called Costa out again this past week or so.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

It was supposed to be for the UFC 284 Australia Card(Islam vs. Volk 1). It was canceled because of Costa and his weirdness. Costa claims he never agreed to the fight despite it being announced. I was a little surprised when Whittaker, who wanted to get on this card, called Costa out again this past week or so.

Tapology also shows they were suppose to fight after Costa lost to Adesanya before Costa pulled out due to illness. and Kelvin Gastelum took his place against Whittaker.

Costa hasn't had more than one fight in a calendar year since 2017. He has had one fight every year until last year where he had ZERO fights. I am not going to Google it but it feels like Jim Miller may have a dozen or more fights in the time Costa has had five.

• Thanks 1

That's why I was surprised Whittaker called for it. Though I guess he was lobbying for Usman if Usman was going to give Middleweight a real go, and that fell through.

I mean it makes sense on paper, because he's trying to find someone in a reasonable position that help him get hot again(especially with Izzy out). But it feels like  such a potential waste of huge resources and time trying to get a fight with Costa.