DVDVR Message Board

2023 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

in light of Shogun's retirement last night, there are only 2* active fighters on the UFC roster that competed in Pride:
Nick Diaz (Pride 33) - *officially still on the roster but unlikely to compete again
Robbie Lawler (Pride 32)

Interestingly, there's only 4 EliteXC veterans on the UFC Roster:
both Nick Diaz and Robbie Lawler, plus
Calvin Katter (EXC: Primetime)
Andrei Arlovski (EXC: Heat)

and only one from K-1 Hero's:
Rani Yahya (Hero's Dynamite 2007)

and only one from Dream:
Nick Diaz (Dream 14)

there's quite a few still from Strikeforce (15 by my count):

Spoiler

Ed Herman (Strikeforce 40: Marquardt vs Saffiedine)
Anthony Smith (Strikeforce 40: Marquardt vs Saffiedine)
Ovince St. Preux (Strikeforce 39: Rousey vs Kaufman)
Miesha Tate (Strikeforce 39: Rousey vs Kaufman)
Germaine de Randamie (Strikeforce 39: Rousey vs Kaufman)
Bobby Green (Strikeforce 39: Rousey vs Kaufman)
Derek Brunson (Strikeforce 39: Rousey vs Kaufman)
Jorge Masvidal (Strikeforce 38: Rockhold vs Kennedy)
Robbie Lawler (Strikeforce 35: Rockhold vs Jardine)
Amanda Nunes (Strikeforce 33: Barnett vs Kharitonov)
Nick Diaz (Strikeforce 30: Diaz vs Daley)
Andrei Arlovski (Strikeforce 28: Fedor vs Silva)
Michael Chandler (Strikeforce 21: Heavy Artillery)
Drew Dober (Strikeforce 12: Payback)
Clay Guida (Strikeforce 2: Revenge)

and i didn't go through WEC as i feel like there's probably still quite a few.

and, with Glover's retirement, Andrei Arlovski moves into the role of oldest active fighter:

Spoiler

Andrei Arlovski (79/04/04)
Urijah Faber (79/05/04) (retired 12/16, fought twice in 2019....)
Guido Cannetti (79/12/19)
Frankie Saenz (80/08/12) (hasn't fought since 2020....)
Juan Espino (80/10/09)
Ed Herman (80/10/02)
Matt Brown (81/01/10)
Shamil Abdurakhimov (81/09/02)
Holly Holm (81/10/17)
Clay Guida (81/12/08)
Lina Lansberg (82/03/13)
Raphael Assuncao (82/07/19)
Stipe Miocic (82/08/19)

• Like 1

Luke Rockhold was on the MMA Hour earlier today and said that he is coming out of retirement, has gotten his release from the UFC, and will fight again within the next four months.

That's not going to go well. More Luke Outcold.

Edited by The Natural

5 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:
The co-main will be Gilbert Burns vs. Jorge Mavisdal.

Such a weird call. I mean Gilbert had two ready made fights with Colby and Belal and both would've been great. Beating either would make him next in line after Usman/Edwards 3.
But even with all that, I still get why Burns would take a Masvidal fight. Money. Clout. I get it.

But I don't know why they're sending Masvidal down this road. This is not a great fight for him, especially after what Burns did to Wonderboy and Neil Magny. I thought for sure they'd be getting Masvidal some striker or Connor.

I don't know if the fans want to see Gamebred held down for another 15 minutes.

4 hours ago, jaedmc said:

Such a weird call. I mean Gilbert had two ready made fights with Colby and Belal and both would've been great. Beating either would make him next in line after Usman/Edwards 3.
But even with all that, I still get why Burns would take a Masvidal fight. Money. Clout. I get it.

But I don't know why they're sending Masvidal down this road. This is not a great fight for him, especially after what Burns did to Wonderboy and Neil Magny. I thought for sure they'd be getting Masvidal some striker or Connor.

I don't know if the fans want to see Gamebred held down for another 15 minutes.

I take about this several months ago last time Masvidal fought. There aren't a whole bunch of names Jorge can be booked against, be a favorite against, and justify being the main event or co-main on a card. It's either super tough fights against guys like Durinho or being in the TV prelims/PPV main card opener against guys who people barely know. 

Masvidal has made his whole career on being the spoiler. Once you're the A-side, you can no longer be that. Plus, at this stage, Masvidal is what he is. He ain't surprising anyone. You can match him against Geoff Neal, but (1) it's high risk, very low reward and (2) Masvidal is done as a name fighter should he lose. Masvidal on paper should have just enough to win, but he likely isn't getting a finish. Hell, I could see Neal knocking him into another dimension more than vice versa. So you may as well book Masvidal against Durinho who would have buzz cause he is the only person to push Chimaev and he's super credible.

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

that's an interesting way to say "Connor is broke and needs money quick". 

When Chandler beat Ferguson and Conor seemingly accepted Chandler's challenge to fight him, I know the UFC was pushing to get them to coach The Ultimate Fighter. However, Conor wasn't ready to come back yet (also had another little dustup with the law IIRC) so Chandler ended up against Poirier. 

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

well fuck. On one hand I'm glad I won't have to pick between my two flyweight favs anymore, but at the same time I had gotten super hyped to see it, especially once they got bumped up to main event.

I do like Andrade a lot too, but I actually feel slightly more confident in this being a winnable fight for Blanchfield. Glad it'll still be what should be an epic main event regardless. With this and tonight's, there's some tough ones to pick.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

WON Reader Awards 2022 Results:

Spoiler

MMA Most Valuable: Israel Adesanya.

Best MMA Box Office Draw: Israel Adesanya.

Women's MMA MVP: Zhang Weili.

Most Outstanding Fighter: Alexander Volkanovski.

Fight of the Year: Glover Teixeira vs. Jiri Prochazka, UFC 275.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, LF2 said:

With Jones-Miocic off the table have you seen any rumored main event fights for that card? I know Volk is fighting Yair, but that seems weak for International Fight Week.

That may be the main event. Unless they can somehow make Edwards vs. Covington quickly, I don't see them going out of their way for another title fight.

• Like 1

Looks like they're going to add Deiveson Figueiredo to the 290 card too, with him taking on Manel Kape. To everyone's surprise, Deiveson says he's staying at 125 for the foreseeable future.

I didn't realize Tanner Boser was dropping to 205 for this weekend.

Is 205 the most wide open division? Feels like any guy in the Top 15 could win today and lose tomorrow. Nobody feels dominant.

10 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Looks like they're going to add Deiveson Figueiredo to the 290 card too, with him taking on Manel Kape. To everyone's surprise, Deiveson says he's staying at 125 for the foreseeable future.

I didn't realize Tanner Boser was dropping to 205 for this weekend.

Is 205 the most wide open division? Feels like any guy in the Top 15 could win today and lose tomorrow. Nobody feels dominant.

Alex Pereira just got knocked out cold five days ago. I think he's a much better fighter than Jamahal Hill and probably have no trouble beating him if they fought two months from now.

2 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Which I guess really illustrates the point - maybe the best 205er hasn't even fought in the division yet.

If Jiri gets back to full strength, it makes it really interesting. I am guessing if he returns during the summer, he gets the first crack at the LHW title.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

If Jiri gets back to full strength, it makes it really interesting. I am guessing if he returns during the summer, he gets the first crack at the LHW title.

Jiri should get the first UFC Light Heavyweight Championship shot as he only lost it due to injury and choosing not to hold onto it when he could have with an Interim title made in the meantime. Such a shame Jiri badly fucked his shoulder postponing Jiri vs. Glover 2. Jiri vs. Glover is in my top ten MMA fights ever, probably top five.