DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - WINTER 2023

Dolfan in NYC

Pretty big news as CONCACAF and CONEMBOL announce that the Copa America will be hosted in CONCACAF and feature 16 teams (10 standard South American Teams and 6 CONCACAF guest teams), and that four South American Teams will play in the next Women's Gold Cup, as well as a joint final four type competition featuring two teams from each confederation

On 1/24/2023 at 1:01 AM, Pete said:

Sixth-tier Darvel knock off the SPL Dons in the Scottish Cup. "Earth-shattering" doesn't even begin to cover that level of upset. Hoot f'n mon.

Aberdeen have parted company with manager Jim Goodwin just minutes after Saturday's 6-0 defeat away to Hibernian.

The Pittodrie board demanded an "immediate response" to the club's worst ever defeat to sixth-tier Darvel on Monday.

Instead, Goodwin's side were blown away by an equally faltering Hibs, taking Aberdeen's recent run to one win in 10.

The announcement came just 19 minutes after full-time.

Goodwin, 41, was appointed on 19 February last year.

"Jim is a good man, has given it everything here. I met him right after the game and he came up and gave me a hug and simply said, 'I know, Dave, it's just not good enough'," emotional Aberdeen chairman Dave Cormack told BBC Scotland.

"So we part company for obvious reasons. Since coming back from the World Cup our away form has been abysmal, our form at home has been pretty decent. I think some of the players also need to take responsibility. As a Dons fan, I'm 64 now, been going there for close to 60 years, I take responsibility. I am the chairman of the club and I have overseen on the football side the changes we have made.

"Like the fans, I felt quite humiliated today and I'm sorry - they were brilliant today. I am quite emotional about the club. It means everything to me. It's our home city. I have been gone for a long time. I am rightly taking the pelters. I deserve it but I am determined to get it right."

Losing to part-time West of Scotland League Premier Division leaders Darvel is generally regarded as the biggest shock in Scottish Cup history given five tiers separate the sides.

Aberdeen's worst-ever result comes as the club start the 40th anniversary year of their greatest triumph - the European Cup Winners' Cup final win over Real Madrid.

The Pittodrie club have now sacked their last two managers shortly before they completed a year in post.

Credit: bbc.co.uk.

When it rains, it pours. Players are a disgrace.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Raziel said:

Man, being only $80 for an Apple+ subscriber makes me really close to pulling the trigger on the MLS Season Pass.

Went ahead and signed up for it.  Direct Kick used to cost $80 back in the day - happy to get everything for the same price that I used to.

Hate losing the DC announce team in general and Dave Johnson in particular, who's been calling DCU since day one.  Classiest of class acts.

Sean Dyche first game as Everton manager beat Premier League Leaders Arsenal 1-0 at Goodison Park. Hell of a start.

Wolverhampton Wanderers 3-0 Liverpool. Season to forget for Liverpool and Jurgen Klopp.

Liverpool vs. Everton at Anfield next.