DVDVR Message Board

Let's Talk Next-Gen

Tabe

I got my PS4 today.  Got PS+ at gamestop where I got the system so I could get the free $10 ps store credit.  Got the console set up.  There was the initial update to be installed and that took a while on my shit internet and then I set my account up easily.  I like the interface a lot so far.  I started up Killzone and went into campaign for a few minutes and yeah the game is definitely a cut above the current gen in visuals.  Really a good looking game.  I just played through the initial startup mission and into the next one a bit so I haven't played it enough to know if I'll like it or not.  I'm about to go into some multiplayer in a few.  There was an update for Killzone to play online but it downloaded while I was playing campaign which was cool.  So far so good.  I will be downloading resogun and contrast tonight to check those out and probably will pick up nba2k at a minimum as well.  Probably won't play too much tomorrow until after I watch GSP beat the living hell out of Johnny Hendricks for 25 minutes.  

Playing COD:Ghosts and BF4 on PS4, and I can honestly say the graphics look exactly the same as on a PS3. I don't buy the "you won't see the difference until games next year" line, compare PS3 launch titles like Resistence and Fight Night 3 to new-released PS2 games, and the difference was immediately apparent. This isn't a knock on the system, I just think video games have hit a plateau when it comes to visuals.

So, I got my PS4 and it has the blue pulsating light of death. Sony's support is closed for the weekend and it'll take them forever to ship a box out here for me to send them this broken mother before they finally send me a replacement.

My feelings right now:

Between the HDMI issues customers are having and the number of people with the blue light error, 0.04% of broken consoles sounds like a BS number.

Playing COD:Ghosts and BF4 on PS4, and I can honestly say the graphics look exactly the same as on a PS3. I don't buy the "you won't see the difference until games next year" line, compare PS3 launch titles like Resistence and Fight Night 3 to new-released PS2 games, and the difference was immediately apparent. This isn't a knock on the system, I just think video games have hit a plateau when it comes to visuals.

I would expect that from games that weren't developed solely for that system but if you want to see the difference you should play Killzone.  It looks much better than anything on previous gen.  

I've had zero issues with my PS4 so far. Just the PSN stuff and obviously that's not on my end, plus it's improved over the last few hours.

FIFA looks worlds better so its probably not as black and white as that

The EA games are running on a new engine, at least for physics.
  • Like 1

Between the HDMI issues customers are having and the number of people with the blue light error, 0.04% of broken consoles sounds like a BS number.

They revised that number to 0.4% :-)

Probably closer to the truth. Still, I'm fucking bummed. Can't even boot into safe mode which has worked for some with the blue light of death. I'm going to ask if the retail store will replace it when they get more in stock and if so, when. They said they couldn't replace it now because they don't have extras.

I guess some of the ports are "OK" from what I'm hearing but I've seen NBA2K14 in action now and I think it blows the PS3 version away. It's a beautiful looking game... so detailed. But yeah, the games that are specifically designed for Next Gen I think you'll notice a big difference.  

• Like 1

I'm waiting until Kingdom Hearts III and Final Fantasy XV, though The Show might get me on board sooner. As it is, I just got a PS3 and am going to work on my wishlist/backlog, so I'm in no rush to leap up just yet. I don't care about FPS games or Madden, and I haven't gotten into Assassin's Creed yet, so I don't know if IV on the PS4 is worth it yet.

In any case, I'm just chillin' with the PS3 in the meantime.

I have decided I am going to upgrade the hard drive immediately after purchase. I am thinking of going mostly disc free unless I find a good deal too good to pass up. IGN has a video showing how easy upgrading the HD is and I have found a list from PS3trophies.com of hard drives that are compatible with the PS4. I am going with the following as it has the most space (1.5 TB) on the PS3T list.

www.amazon.com/dp/B00EDIU5IW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3K0D6H32B6B5H&coliid=I1277SNL4UOKL2

Probably closer to the truth. Still, I'm fucking bummed. Can't even boot into safe mode which has worked for some with the blue light of death. I'm going to ask if the retail store will replace it when they get more in stock and if so, when. They said they couldn't replace it now because they don't have extras.

Friend of mine works for GameStop, he doesn't think there's gonna be a huge shortage of systems like there were when the first Wii and 360 released. Not sure where you purchased your system but it might be quicker to exchange at the store when they get restocked as opposed to waiting for a box to arrive, shipping away the system and then waiting for a replacement.

Yeah, I did that. Unfortunately, they're not getting new systems until the middle of December. All they told me was they'd get me one "as soon as humanly possible." I'm thinking that's retailese for "go away and come back when the next shipments arrive."

Many of the large retailers in Canada aren't getting their next batch until after Christmas. A friend was thinking he'd just pick one up next week after his payday. Whoops.

Yeah, I did that. Unfortunately, they're not getting new systems until the middle of December. All they told me was they'd get me one "as soon as humanly possible." I'm thinking that's retailese for "go away and come back when the next shipments arrive."

Many of the large retailers in Canada aren't getting their next batch until after Christmas. A friend was thinking he'd just pick one up next week after his payday. Whoops.

Just wondering what exactly did you expect the retailer to tell you? if they don't have any and they have no idea when they will get any?

Just wondering what exactly did you expect the retailer to tell you? if they don't have any and they have no idea when they will get any?

Not much other than the truth if that's what they mean. I'm not upset with them. They're getting their next batch before most other outlets, so that's a positive. Just sucks that I won the blue light of death lottery is all.

There's word that a lot of the faulty machines are due to mistreated, overworked, and unhappy interns at Foxconn in Taiwan committing sabotage*. I looked at the HDD in my unit and it was missing a screw, which is a sign of such sabotage from what I've read.

* I'm saying "sabotage" like Shatner does, btw.

• Like 1

The topic of game sharing was a pretty big one for quite a while leading up to the launch of these systems so I wanted to comment on how Sony's new rules work in regards to that.

-You make one console your "primary" PS4.  When you log on for the first time it will ask you if you'd like to make it your primary system and you check yes or no.  You can go into settings and deactivate it as your primary console any time you want. 

-Anyone that plays on your primary console can play any game that you've purchased on that console and they can log in as themselves and still play your content.  It's your content, it's your console, and anyone can play it.

-You can play your content on any other console you log into but only you will be able to play that content "online" as yourself. 

So basically if you have a good friend that you trust, if you make their console your primary console and your console their primary, then between the two of you only one has to buy the game.   

I don't see how you patch it other than to allow only the user and no one else to access their own content on their primary console.  That would completely disallow game sharing altogether(digitally) which is the opposite of their stance up to this point.