DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 2/10/2021

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Once again, loved it. So much good shit to point out, but that main event was fucking great and I laughed my ass off at Marvez showing up on a golf course in his fucking AEW suit. I now want Marvez to show up everywhere in that suit looking like a dork.

Man...remember when Marvez was one of the announcers?

Don't remind us ;).

• Like 1

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Was surprised by Allin v Janela, very enjoyable. Loved the chaos in the main, can't wait for Guevara v MJF down the line and The Acclaimed should keep the bad raps coming.

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

QT Marshall is going to be the first member of the Nightmare Family to turn. He's going to lay a beating on Lee Johnson when it comes.

I thought the same thing with QT not getting called out and then QT had some really fun "fuck you" faces on while he was half-assing his applause for Johnson.

• Like 2

The Sting/Darby dynamic bothers me.

It should be Terry McGinnis and elderly Bruce Wayne. Instead it's elderly Bruce Wayne and his youthful ward, err.. Burt Ward.

Darby constantly looks like a fucking dweeb going 50/50 with nobodies like Janela and getting beaten up by Cobra Kai, while needing Sting to fight his battles for him.

At heart, I'd like to see Darby turn on Sting and put him thru thumbtacks, but its the Vampiro program redux and Darby turning heel to side with Taz after months of taking beatings from them is yuck.

Instead I propose Sting turns on Darby by buying his skateboard ramp out from under him and selling it to Big Money Matt. Big Money Matt and Real Estate Steve run roughshot over the local real estate market beaten down by COVID until Hangman and Darby make things right.

I also hope you're wrong about a QT Marshall heel turn. No one inspires more apathy unless he's getting his credit rating ruined by scornful women.

Good show. Main event was banana.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Do we really need to go back to this invisible camera man nonsense of the Attitude Era? MJF is going to record Sammy Guevara saying something incriminating about Jericho out of context when there's a camera man there filming the whole thing and broadcasting it live on TNT.

Lita: Stacy, I'm pregnant. Please don't tell Matt Hardy...even though me telling you this is being broadcast live on national TV and no one can see or hear me telling you this and tell Matt Hardy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

It should be Terry McGinnis and elderly Bruce Wayne. Instead it's elderly Bruce Wayne and his youthful ward, err.. Burt Ward.

Darby constantly looks like a fucking dweeb going 50/50 with nobodies like Janela and getting beaten up by Cobra Kai, while needing Sting to fight his battles for him.

At heart, I'd like to see Darby turn on Sting and put him thru thumbtacks, but its the Vampiro program redux and Darby turning heel to side with Taz after months of taking beatings from them is yuck.

Instead I propose Sting turns on Darby by buying his skateboard ramp out from under him and selling it to Big Money Matt. Big Money Matt and Real Estate Steve run roughshot over the local real estate market beaten down by COVID until Hangman and Darby make things right.

I also hope you're wrong about a QT Marshall heel turn. No one inspires more apathy unless he's getting his credit rating ruined by scornful women.

I want to like this post more than once especially for that reference. Cheers, @GuerrillaMonsoon!

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

I'm saying this as a longtime Sting mark, AEW overpaid for a 61-year-old nostalgia act who has little to offer a wrestling product in 2021. Sting has never been one to be the coach, trainer, or producer. It's just not his thing. 

Everyone was wanting Sting to get paired up with Darby, and I don't see why? Sting and Darby share little in common. What is Sting really doing for Darby at this point? is he really elevating Darby at all?

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I'm saying this as a longtime Sting mark, AEW overpaid for a 61-year-old nostalgia act who has little to offer a wrestling product in 2021. Sting has never been one to be the coach, trainer, or producer. It's just not his thing. 

Everyone was wanting Sting to get paired up with Darby, and I don't see why? Sting and Darby share little in common. What is Sting really doing for Darby at this point? is he really elevating Darby at all?

Sting's one of my favourite wrestlers ever but less is more. This build is on rinse and repeat.

• Like 2

Cool how wrestling companies are working together. Surreal seeing NJPW do this for AEW, vice versa and Impact Wrestling's involvement. Reminds me also how WWE butchered Summer of Punk in 2011 unlike ROH in 2005.

Edited by The Natural

Love that Darby and Janela went out and had a no smokes and mirrors, no frills, no props, no crazy bumps, honest to goodness good TV match that was competitive without going overboard.

Is Moxley the best promo guy in the business today? He kills it every time he speaks.

Lee Johnson is one of the better young prospects they have who's been sat on Dark so good to see him get a win on TV.

2 weeks ago Jericho & MJF win the rights to be the Inner Circle tag team. Then last week they win the Battle Royale, which also had the 2 other Inner Circle teams. Then this week they book Santana & Ortiz getting a title shot, just because. The Bucks and the booking of this tag team division is so dumb dumb dumb. Glad they are pulling the trigger on the Sammy stuff though.

John Silver is a national treasure, really hoping he gets his girl with Adam Page when he saves him from Matt Hardy's 30%

They are doing the damnest to drag out everything Sting related as much as possible. In hindsight, signing to him to a full-time contract was a really dumb idea. It's becoming a meme how often Sting comes out and does nothing.

Main event was good shit until the tedious interference finish. Archer doing his rope-walk moonsault 20 minutes into a hate-filled brawl was also incredibly out of place. I enjoyed the match a lot but the Bullet Club bullshit leaves a bad taste in the mouth and already feels stale as hell.

I think there's potential with Sting, and even more so, there's goodwill to want him on TV every week, and it's fast diminishing largely through no fault of his own.

Darby is the wrong guy to pair him with. He's just dwarfed not just in terms of size, but charisma, presentation and booking. Two of those can be fixed if you're prepared to throw good faith at it, but the rest just looks silly, and realistically its a lazy pairing based on "hey that guy wears paint too", it's also a waste of the TNT title, as it holds no bearing or importance in their program. If the end game here is a Ricky Starks TNT title run, then I'm in for the long haul.

Is this worse than if we'd got him and Cody/Arn exchanging shooty self indulgent promos on each other, before having the same match he did with Rollins? Probably not. 

Pairing him with Hangman was probably the right move, or maybe even extending the Broken Matt stuff with Sting instead? Even a 1997 redux of him clearing the ring out of the Inner Circle after reclaiming Jericho's ballbat would have sufficed.

• Like 2

With the stories they're telling, I can see Santana & Ortiz winning the tag belts next week, and then having to defend them against Jericho & MJF at the PPV. With the other PPV match being Bucks & someone vs Anderson, Gallows & Kenta.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, AxB said:

With the stories they're telling, I can see Santana & Ortiz winning the tag belts next week, and then having to defend them against Jericho & MJF at the PPV. With the other PPV match being Bucks & someone vs Anderson, Gallows & Kenta.

That would actually make some sense and result in something more interesting than the current PPV match. The big problem obviously though is that Santana & Ortiz haven't won a match on TV in over 6 months.

9 hours ago, Jiji said:

Lee Johnson's dive was cool. Being attached to Cody is a death sentence though. I can't be digging a guy crediting his success to the Rhodes like that. 

The Acclaimed have so much potential and I'm absolutely into those two mixing in old school 80s spots to differentiate themselves. 

The Acclaimed and Top Flight are the two young tag teams of AEW's future.   So good and so different.   One of the nice things about AEW is wrestlers get to learn from the classics, and not just the faux-Memphis style WWE uses.

• Like 2

Two Hangman segments ?, "oh ambassador, with this Ferrero Rocher you're really spoiling us". Loved how Anna Jay gave him nothing but side eye, building on the BTE skits. 

That main was wild, just good times all around. The diving stomp to Mox was gnarly as hell! 

I know a lot of people have a real soft spot for Sting, but I really don't. Possibly because 8 year old me saw the short bleached blond hair on him and thought he was the lost Bros member, and I just really hated Bros as a kid, so I've always been ambivalent to the Stinger. But this storyline is so repetitive, "its Sting", "oh hey, here we are, Team Taz", "I hate creeps and I hate liars...", "OK ok, team Taz are gonna live to fight another day" lather rinse repeat. At least they laid hands on someone this week I suppose. 

I did laugh at Big Shotty name checking Brandi though. 

• Like 3