DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2020

Control

10 hours ago, Control said:

I feel like Jun Akiyama went from fresh-faced youngster to surly veteran without any journeyman period, but I’m probably wrong.

10 hours ago, Jiji said:

It felt like he aged 6-8 years in the transition from ajpw to Noah. 

9 hours ago, Control said:

Yeah, I don’t know NOAH too well. Just looking at his career on Cagematch, I wonder if it’s, like, start of NOAH to his 2004 Dome match against Kobashi. You’d have his G1 performance and his rivalry/team with Nagata in there. By 2005 he’s having that match against Shibata and is definitely already a grumpy vet.

Check out Akiayama early NOAH run. Its around then that he started to become a surly/grumpy vet. He was the guy the younger guys were trying to take down. 

51 minutes ago, D.Z said:

GLEAT:

Tamura mentioned 80s NJPW plus UWF.  Wants wrestling that looks like a fight and said UWF is his ideal.

Former W-1 dudes Takanori Ito and Soma Watanabe are now with GLEAT.

Those two dudes are basically Shibata and Fujiwara so it’s all good.

• Haha 1

I don't really remember but apparently it was owned by Fumihiko Uwai. When it collapsed, he opened Uwai Station, another U-style promotion that only lasted a year. So seems like a UWF mark resurrection project that failed sadly.

On 8/18/2020 at 10:49 PM, Death From Above said:

He definitely has a noticable bump up towards being seen as a full equal to Misawa and Kobashi in the early days of NOAH, as opposed to a wink-wink equal. Then as it became more clear Kobashi's body wasn't going to hold up I suppose it only went further on, though to be honest I started losing interest in NOAH full-time when Kobashi wasn't really around so there's a lot of stuff that is new for me.

Same here. I watched NOAH from 2003-2006 and the famous December 2007 Kenta Kobashi return match from beating cancer.

15 hours ago, D.Z said:

It is a word in Latin.

Is that even relevant to the actual company name? Ridet means something like laugh or smile? LOL@NOWA indeed.

• Like 2

Look at AJ, being only moderately unsuccessful! Only being  down 4 gs last year! 

I think a lot of online folks look at who gets booked by companies, etc., and speculate about personalities and politics when money is probably the bottom line. 

Just thinking about this year’s CC, and how it’s a small tourney with almost all in-house AJ guys. The choice was probably 100% practical, influenced by lost revenue and also the fact that, should they have to go back to lock down, they can still pull the tournament off without an audience and without having to pay like 8 outsiders an additional wage.