DVDVR Message Board

2018 CFL THREAD

RIPPA

The Esks have made a lot of waves (the bad kind among casual fans) when they bought out Odell Willis and Adarius Bowman. Willis honestly I don't get it beyond "he is a fantastic personality" as his play has really dived off a cliff, he's honestly no loss. Bowman was an all star but really struggled to get in the groove last year at all, and was due a ton of money. So he's off to Winnipeg now.

Also the Esks signed Kevin Glenn as backup so he could complete his meme of playing for every team in the universe. Though honestly I don't mind it at all as long as he accepts he isn't getting on the field while Reilly is healthy.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't think this is a bad move for us. Manziel has NFL level talent, his problem was from the neck up. I hope he's had his "come to Jesus" moment and takes advantage of the career lifeline he was just thrown. Him and June Jones could be fun. But really I don't just want to see him succeed because I'm a Cats fan, it's also that it would be incredibly sad to see someone with real God given talent totally waste it.

I have no idea if he works out (let's be honest, probably not) but from the beginning I've said he makes more sense to me than the insane rumors about Tebow's ultra-noodle-arm sideline throw disaster waiting to happen. At least Manziel theoretically has the right skillset for the CFL.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Went to see the Blue Bombers beat up on the Eskimos third stringers tonight. Special teams need work, defense looked good. Offense has more weapons, but until Matt Nichols wins a playoff game, I will be skeptical at best about his ability to lead this team.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Terrell Owens has activated his 10 day clause. The Eskimos have 10 days to offer him a deal or release his rights. Apparently the request was made on July 14

Also - the Argos signed Dexter McCluster

10 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Terrell Owens has activated his 10 day clause. The Eskimos have 10 days to offer him a deal or release his rights. Apparently the request was made on July 14

Also - the Argos signed Dexter McCluster

I eagerly await DFA's take on this.

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats have traded quarterback Johnny Manziel to the Montreal Alouettes, a source confirmed to ESPN's Kevin Seifert.

Manziel, offensive tackle Tony Washington and offensive lineman Landon Rice were sent to Montreal in exchange for defensive end Jamaal Westerman, wide recever Chris Williams and two first-round picks in 2020 and 2021, the source said.

TSN first reported the news.

Manziel never saw the field with Hamilton, which has been led by quarterback Jeremiah Masoli. Masoli tied a CFL record with nine straight 300-yard passing games before the team's Week 5 bye.

In Montreal, Manziel will be reunited with coach Mike Sherman, under whom Manziel red-shirted at Texas A&M in 2011.

He will battle for the quarterback job with Drew Willy, Jeff Mathews and Matt Shiltz, all of whom have been tested by Montreal, which is 1-4 and in last place in the CFL's four-team East Division.

Manziel will try to improve an offense that ranks last in the league in points scored and rushing yards, tied for last in turnovers and is seventh of nine teams in passing yards.